JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: RNS-E Navigation Unit thefts - UPDATED

1st Gear

Status
    Mercedes Benz units are paired to the vehicles electronic key system thus they will only ever work in that vehicle.
    Once removed they lock out until they are refitted, there isn't a way around this as every Mercedes Benz has its very own Electronic Ignition Switch
    with its very own code, only Mercedes Ben in Germany know this information.

If Mercedes Benz can do this then why can't Audi!!!!

This is the main reason why I won't buy an RSN-e unit!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    im worried as was thinking of getting a newish s3 and downgrading from an a6 i was looking at ones with the rns-e.
    is there no way that the screen could be writtne on in uv ink or something that doesnt show when on but would light up if searched/checked by police as any grinding of that etc would ruin the unit.
    V8 baby... oh yeah

Reverse Gear

Status
    BLACKIE > Cool what you've done with your stereo. Can one use any double din Symphony unit in an 8P A3/S3 or does it have to be from a certain year/model ?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well someone is limping today thats for sure, although I have a broken window.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Go on, do tell........

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Seems someone wanted xmas early, unfortunately the shop was closed & they hurt themselves exiting the shop

James

Status
    I hope your window is smashed as a result of you introducing their face to it?

It's a shame to see the hype hasn't died down, I was hoping to invest in one next year. No chance!

6th Gear

Status
    Seems someone wanted xmas early, unfortunately the shop was closed & they hurt themselves exiting the shop
    damn, I hope they get gangrene!
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

i take it they didnt get away with the goods either right?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    They only got away with 1 thing & I suspect it has gone black/blue today although I have a nice glass & tint bill.
    Artimus likes this.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

just out of interest what part of the country was this mate?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    South East, but tbh I left something on passenger seat I normally dont, rns wasnt in the car, so lets not panic down selfffff lol, overall I shouldnt of left item on seat, but then again, why should I have to take such precautions as they shouldnt be anywhere near my car window, but hey in this climate even more we have to be more aware, I'm glad to get way with a bit of glass, he's probably glad he got away. (with whatever)

Status
    As you say Nigel, no one should be near your car. Sorry to hear they broke the glass though, hope you have glass insurance.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

South East, but tbh I left something on passenger seat
    tut tut... you should know better the south east is rough

I normally dont, rns wasnt in the car, so lets not panic down selfffff lol,
    thats good though...

he's probably glad he got away. (with whatever)
    with the black and blue

how did you get to him in time? where you near the car when the wolly tried it?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

1st Gear

Status
    Might be a stupid question...but I'm assuming the RNS-E cannot be physically removed easily once installed? I.e. removing the unit when parked up like you would do with car radios of old?

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andywaddy View Post
    Might be a stupid question...but I'm assuming the RNS-E cannot be physically removed easily once installed? I.e. removing the unit when parked up like you would do with car radios of old?
    You could do, but I doubt it would fit in your man bag lol!
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

6th Gear

Status
    If you have the four keys its would take 5 seconds :-(
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

You planning on nicking a unit from somewhere?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    lmfao

Neutral

Status
    Have a look at these guys avic-f90bt finally installed :-) looks like a job well done

Reverse Gear

Status
    This is awful news I am looking forward to getting my A3 at the Start of Feb which will have a Nav unit in. I'd be seriously eff'd off if it got broken in to for this reason!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by kritter86 View Post
    This is awful news I am looking forward to getting my A3 at the Start of Feb which will have a Nav unit in. I'd be seriously eff'd off if it got broken in to for this reason!!
    actually down spec'd me new car because of this thread.
    VAUXHALL NOVA 1.0 RIP
    VAUXHALL NOVA 1.3SR SOLD
    VAUXHALL CORSA 1.2SXI SOLD
    YAMAHA R6 - CURRENT
    AUDI A3 SLINE 1.4T - PART EXCHANGED
    AUDI TT BLACK EDITION 2.0T - CURRENT

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggsy View Post
    actually down spec'd me new car because of this thread.
    I'm afraid i can't as it has already been ordered. It's a company car but our insurance policy doesnt cover hardly anything!! Still you can't have it all!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi everyone! I'm new here and this is my first post.

Just had to say that these thieving gypsy bas@*$ds really pee me off! We all go out to work everyday and in a lot of cases take out a loan that has to be paid off over years to be able to have something nice that we can be proud off for these fu@$ers to ruin it in a few seconds!

Anyway rant over! I saw a very interesting video the other day whilst I was working in a shop. The video showed a shop being robbed in the night. This shop had a device fitted called a smoke cloak. This device goes off and completely fills the whole shop with a thick non toxic, non smelling smoke to the point where you can't see your own hand in front of your face. It takes a long time before it clears. Thieves are unable to get out of shop and get knicked. I have heard of devices like these being fitted to cars. It goes off with the alarm, thieves are unable to see RNS-E let alone knick it. Hopefully someone see's this and calls the rozzers of fire brigade thinking the car is on fire! And the car can then be made safe before the little sh*&s return!

Just a thought.

English...not so good

Status
    Haha yeah that's a brilliant idea mate. But what if it goes off whilst driving on the motorway...

There's only one way to fix this, expensive luxury cars need
    a secure garage.

It's like buying a Bugatti Veyron and getting it serviced at kwik fit.

1st Gear

Status
    Unfortunally many people have the money to purchase a luxury car but dont live in the area e.g. london to have a garage
    Lava Grey A3 Hatchback S-line 170 Quattro, 18" Speedline Turini's, Bilstein B8 Shocks, 35mm H&R Springs, H&R ARB's, Small Remap, Darkside Development EGR Delete, K&N Panel, Full S3 Brakes, Yellow Stuff Pads, Drilled/Grooved Disc's, Bi-Xenons, DRL's, Full Leather, RNS-E/Changer/Bose, LED Interior Light Pack + Ambient Lighting, Rain And Light Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Auto Folding Mirrors, Black Grill/Badges, MY11 Rears, Lamin-x Fogs.

1st Gear

Status
    Are any of the security marking kits useful??

Something like ImmobiMark Property Marking Kit

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rikbbb View Post

Just had to say that these thieving gypsy bas@*$ds really pee me off! We all go out to work everyday and in a lot of cases take out a loan that has to be paid off over years to be able to have something nice that we can be proud off for these fu@$ers to ruin it in a few seconds!

Anyway rant over! I saw a very interesting video the other day whilst I was working in a shop. The video showed a shop being robbed in the night. This shop had a device fitted called a smoke cloak. This device goes off and completely fills the whole shop with a thick non toxic, non smelling smoke to the point where you can't see your own hand in front of your face. It takes a long time before it clears. Thieves are unable to get out of shop and get knicked. I have heard of devices like these being fitted to cars. It goes off with the alarm, thieves are unable to see RNS-E let alone knick it. Hopefully someone see's this and calls the rozzers of fire brigade thinking the car is on fire! And the car can then be made safe before the little sh*&s return!

Just a thought.
    Definitely sounds a good idea and I'd love to see one in action though I'd imagine that any RNS-E thefts done by a person wont be their first and they'll know how to take out the RNS-E with their eyes closed... I know I could.

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    I also had my RNS-E stolen 11 months ago in Holland. They do it as following:

Last 11 months I have been removing my RNS-E every day and I got tired of it and the conncetions were still ok, but I felt they were not becoming better of it. So I have modified this lock te have it stuck at my steering wheel and it hold in front of the navi. Slowing down is what is needed I hope, because 200 meters further they can pick a car that hasn't got a lock like mine. I hope

I have glued an old mouse matt on 2 placed and you really have to use some power to close the lock and the other will protect the horn/airbag and adding this will make it really get stuck and keep it in front of the navi. Always shut the engine, otherwise the horn will go off.

They cannot steal the airbag anymore too, also something that they start doing over here. Same for the DRL/Xenons on the facelift model, these are getting stolen more and more lately:S

Last edited by warren_S5; 1st April 2012 at 20:51. Reason: Removing photo showing thieves how to break into A3 door

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by microfly View Post
    Have a look at these guys avic-f90bt finally installed :-) looks like a job well done
    God, you cant do anything without someone copying it

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S3 View Post
    I also had my RNS-E stolen 11 months ago in Holland. They do it as following:

Last 11 months I have been removing my RNS-E every day and I got tired of it and the conncetions were still ok, but I felt they were not becoming better of it. So I have modified this lock te have it stuck at my steering wheel and it hold in front of the navi. Slowing down is what is needed I hope, because 200 meters further they can pick a car that hasn't got a lock like mine. I hope

I have glued an old mouse matt on 2 placed and you really have to use some power to close the lock and the other will protect the horn/airbag and adding this will make it really get stuck and keep it in front of the navi. Always shut the engine, otherwise the horn will go off.

They cannot steal the airbag anymore too, also something that they start doing over here. Same for the DRL/Xenons on the facelift model, these are getting stolen more and more lately:S

Jeez, that's some serious mess on your door.

Very clever idea, we're liking that. May get one for when I venture into London or other filthy hovels full of chancers. Nice one.
    Last edited by warren_S5; 1st April 2012 at 20:50.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Jeez, that's some serious mess on your door.

Very clever idea, we're liking that. May get one for when I venture into London or other filthy hovels full of chancers. Nice one.
    Just to share this might be a solution. If they really want to have they probably can get it but i think 9 out of 10 will not try to get it. I have to do it here in rotterdam, otherwise i will be a victim every month at least( no joke)

So i removed my rnse for 11 months which was a good solution, just taking me one minute, but i like this one better because i don' t need to carry an extra bag evey day

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Good ideas tbh, take some serious strength to bend that out of the way of the radio.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rikbbb View Post

Just a thought.
    My daughter used to be a manager for a branch of PHONES 4 U. One night she got a call from the Police to say the alarm was going off. As she'd had 2 glasses of wine, she asked if I'd drive her the 2 mile up the road. The shop has that smoke bomb system in it, and it is unbelievable how effective it is. There was 1 smoke generator upstairs and one downstairs. You literally are scared to move because you can't see, AT ALL! Fantastic idea.
    2012 RNSe Navigation Discs with unit software update. PM me.

Suzuki GSX-R 750 K5

A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

Neutral

Status
    and very nice it is too...
    Quote Originally Posted by J8Y PW View Post
    Where have you been living for the past 6 months Lingy?

Its the RS3

2nd Gear

Status
    Reading this thread gives me the impression that in general the A3 is easy to break into/nick? Or am I reaching the wrong conclusion?

That RNS-E is nice looking, wish mine had it (as long as ti doesn't get broken into!!)

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I'd say wrong conclusion, most A3's are nicked by stealing or copying the keys if its a pro setup, as the immo systems are very good these days on most cars & I wouldnt say its any easier than anyother modern day cars, but anyone can smash a window & attempt to steal something from any car, unless your glass has the special security film on them, which prevents quick or even any access through that route.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    Reading this thread gives me the impression that in general the A3 is easy to break into/nick? Or am I reaching the wrong conclusion?
    NHN is spot on,without the keys or a hiab crane your A3 is going nowhere

2nd Gear

Status
    So the real issue is stll the lack of security around the RNS-E then? It's a shame because it looks like a really neat bit of kit, is it a straight swap for the standard head unit (I think it's the concernt/chorus one)?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast