Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: RNS-E Navigation Unit thefts - UPDATED

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    so this might be a silly suggestion but what if someone devised a way to secure the unit behind the dash properly and not just the cage? When you go behind the glovebox you can see the unit and a frame of some sort between the glovebox and the RNSE... what if the unit could be bolted onto that to make it more secure?
    yes i know some will come back and argue the point of what if they damage the whole dash to get at it but the cage it sits in is hardly working to 'secure' the unit!

it doesn't take that long to get the glovebox out and get behind it but it does take alot longer than a couple minutes so for any low life thief it might stop them from actually managing to get the unit out?
    of course there are aftermarket alarm systems and the pentaglass mentioned above that can also help them from getting in the car in the first place.

one extreme secure method could be to have the system hooked up with some sort of electric shocking unit that turns on when the alarm is on so that if someone attempts to steal the unit, they will be electrocuted (not to death but near enough would teach the fcuker a lesson)
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    @itwasntme187

I remember a similar security Device in Robocop2 called Magnavolt !!!!!

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

i wonder if it can actually be implemented? it would be a perfect security system as it will only be activated while the alarm is on so no hard to the driver/passengers when in the car
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Status
    Hi ,,,there used to be a steering lock a few years (about 10 years,lol)back that you put on to your steering wheel if touched when activated would give you a electric shock ,,no joke ,dont know how good it was as i never had one, but read about it in fast ford ,, but i did have a pedal lock,plus gear lock and snap off steering wheel..hence they tried but never got my car, as i also had a cheap cctv unit from argos,which (you may laugh) but i caught 2 guys trying to get in to my old rs turbo ,, hence they never came back .. Also had a pager linked to my alarm system ...

2nd Gear

Status
    It won't even run down your battery!

MagnaVolt - YouTube

Status
    Lol looks good that would stop the problem...

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by gavsman View Post
    It won't even run down your battery!

MagnaVolt - YouTube
    now thats what im talking about!

look what i found
    Electric shock car alarm system !!!!!!!!
    no its too long to read it all but he gets the idea
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

1st Gear

Status
    A few years ago Saab devised an alarm/anti-theft system that would electrify the driver's seat if broken into and give the thief an electric shock. Apparently the human rights (aka the thief's charter) brigade got on their backs and successfully got it banned before it even went live!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by One Spoke View Post
    A few years ago Saab devised an alarm/anti-theft system that would electrify the driver's seat if broken into and give the thief an electric shock. Apparently the human rights (aka the thief's charter) brigade got on their backs and successfully got it banned before it even went live!
    I see what you did there

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

i couldnt care less for 'Human Right' when someone breaks into my car! they deserve to be electrocuted!!
    And I work for Amnesty International!! hahaha
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

2nd Gear

Status
    The solution is simple. If thieving scum couldn't make an easy £500 off one on ebay then they wouldn't bother stealing them. Simply stop buying units off ebay.
    the crisis mobile BMW Z4C 3.0
    It's quick and it sounds bloody good.

James

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1inchpunch View Post
    The solution is simple. If thieving scum couldn't make an easy £500 off one on ebay then they wouldn't bother stealing them. Simply stop buying units off ebay.
    Agreed. And if these pikeys have two brain cells to rub together then they'll also realise that when they do sell them to you... they'll know exactly where to go if they fancy putting it back on eBay within a week and making another £500.

You're only making yourself a target if you fund the thieves on eBay.

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook

RNS-E Stolen from RS3 in showroom

The day I picked up my S3 from the main Audi dealership in Edinburgh they had 2 pikeys steal the RNS-E unit from the RS3 in the showroom. Blatant theft right in front of staff and CCTV. One guy in the car with a backpack and the other deflecting people away from the vehicle. It was all caught on camera and took less than 2 mins for them to get it out, to them leggin it out of the garage. They were chased but vanished into thin air I believe. You would think that being in a state-of-the-art garage with security cameras etc etc would put the would be thieves off......think again.

Regards

Brodster

Status

My Social Networking

The South African device was much better. If the car was being broken into there were flame throwers under the sills wired up to the alarm which incinerated the would-be thief. No questions asked and a BBQ for tea.

Regards

Brodster

Giac Extreme+!! Lovin it

Status
    Well if anyone doesn't want to fund some of these thieving scum bags on eBay, and wants a genuine straight rns-e, then mines up for sale! PM ME me if interested comes with 2010 maps.
    07 Suzuka Grey S3, Giac Extreme plus map, Autotech HPFP, VF Engineering CAI, 18" black rims,factory tints,fbmfsw,Mk 2 RNS-E,CH-LH lights.puddle lights,Bose,Shark fin, Lamin x lights & Fogs.Full TBE miltek, 09 White DIS,Buckets,LED conversion,TPMS.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Well if anyone doesn't want to fund some of these thieving scum bags on eBay, and wants a genuine straight rns-e, then mines up for sale! PM ME me if interested comes with 2010 maps.
    You got mail.

Reverse Gear

Status

Another 3 stolen units......

Hello All

Just thought I'd keep you updated as to the thieving sc*ms work in the Bradford area, both myself, my mate in the next street and someone else we know about 5 mins down the road had our RNS-E's stolen....in the same night....within about 10 minutes of each other. No damage to the dash, very little damage to the window frame, same way in (breaking the passenger window).....very professional job...unfortunately.

We all got together last night and have the same problem, if we buy new units, whats to stop the same cnuts from coming back and robbing us again?? Unfortunately, thinking about it, I have no choice but to sell the car as I had the black plastic fog light surrounds stolen 2 weeks ago and am certain some has targeted my car for 'spare parts'. my wife is terrified that we will get broken into for the keys one night. my only choice now is to sell my baby and opt for a run-around that draws no attention but i am so annoyed at having to do this out of fear.....

I spoke to the chap at the garage who fitted my glass and he said it was the 9th one he'd done in the space of a month, all exactly the same MO, always A3's, always through the passenger window side.

I lie in the Bradford area so if you have an A3 with the RNS-E unit, please please please be careful as at this moment in time, they are vanishing into thin air.

Cheers

Status
    I seen a few rns-e for sale on ebay from leeds ,but the funny thing is they have 100% feedback (sellers),i think you should brand the unit like ,burn a number into the casing ,it should be registered in a data base with the police,with your passport ,,number photo etc , so only the registered keeper with the details can sell it , with some sort of certificate that can only be done in the police station with the sellers and new buyers new details ...

Status
    Problem with personal details is selling the car. VIN number/plate number will intrinsically link the unit to it's donor car.

Thank you so much to all who are posting on here. I'd guess from some of the posts we are getting (e.g. Indian999) with one post on the forum this must be featuring high on google searches, so thanks also to him for sharing this with us as it widens the net of information.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status

Hope this helps some people

When i first got my A6 a few years back i did this and hopefully it fooled most people. I have now done it for my A3. Its quite a cheap mod & all you need is a glue gun & a dremel

Good luck

Ash187 and Kelza like this.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

What happened to the buttons underneath your unit?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    What happened to the buttons underneath your unit?
    If your on about the nav buttons. They miss the faceplate if you dremel enough out

You need to glue in the buttons & the switches at the lower right but i used mitremate for that.

At night looking in it looks just like it should be there. Hopefully they move to the next one

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

no i mean the buttons near the hazard lights... your missing something there... the card holder? and the trim looks like its coming off?
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    no i mean the buttons near the hazard lights... your missing something there... the card holder? and the trim looks like its coming off?
    Ah sorry mate

I had just fitted the nav so because i,m a tight git i,m trimming it down so the cup holder will fit. I temporarily removed the fascia from the cup holder. Was a right pain in the arse getting the single/double changover sorted but all seems ok now.

3rd Gear

Status
    Sorry forgot to mention as well. Its secures by using 2 x cable ties ends glued into the key slots. This in turn just pushes into the key slots on the nav units

job done

6th Gear

Status
    To stop these thieves they need a blocking system the phone networks use
    sorry i have not read the thread through .Either that or you need a garage and never drive the car anywhere ?
    Or simply dont have the units installed

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
    Sorry forgot to mention as well. Its secures by using 2 x cable ties ends glued into the key slots. This in turn just pushes into the key slots on the nav units

job done
    can i ask a really stupid question and ask where I could get the fake face plate from? would i need to buy a stereo and rip it off?? i'm willing to try anything if it means i don't have to sell my car :-(

thanks

Status
    Ebay have loads of fake face plates ...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian999 View Post
    can i ask a really stupid question and ask where I could get the fake face plate from? would i need to buy a stereo and rip it off?? i'm willing to try anything if it means i don't have to sell my car :-(

thanks
    Just trawl eBay for a unit working or not. Got mine for 30 quid from the bay of fleas. Just bin the rest

Status

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3kel View Post
    No mate , mines a real Audi faceplate from a real Audi unit

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks very much guys....now just need to find a legitimate RNS-E.......!

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

there were loads of Audi Symphony units being sold at ADI by Dave at Stoke Audi for £25!!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift,

REVOlutionary

Status
    dont know if this a feasible option...there probably is some cheaper alternative companies
    but would definatly catch the theiving scumbags that for sure
    Trackstick UK Trackstick Mini - Vehicle / Personal GPS / Road Angel BikeTrac, Child Tracking Range - Trackstick, Trackstick Pro, Spot 2 messenger, Trackstick 2, Super Trackstick, Iseeka, Tramigo T22
    Swap
    2008- A3 Sportback/5 door rear black edition bumper with parking holes
    Will swap with no holes sline bumper preferably white

Neutral

Status
    Hey all

Sorry to update you with this but I was the unfortunate victim of an A3 break in last night. No RNS-E stolen this time though. Again in Bradford/Leeds area!

I was woke at about 3.00AM in the morning from my every vigilant mother who could hear noises outside, she looked outside and saw that my interior light was on. Quite scary thought to say the least in the pitch black! I never leave the interior light on, it is always in the middle setting (on when door opened or ignition turned off).

She called me over to look. I grabbed the golf club (3-iron) from my room and went outside to investigate. I immediately looked inside via the drivers window and saw that my ipod controller (fits into cigarette lighter) was not there, immediately I knew the car had been broken into. I then went round to the passenger side and found the door a-jar but locked, this may be due to me locking and unlocking it from inside the house to see if the light would go off. It seems they opened the door with ease, no need to smash a window or cause any grave damage.

I called the police and we later found that my 160 GB iPod (£200) was no longer there. This was concealed within the centre console armrest.

CHEERS THIEF!

The police informed me that they are seeing more and more Audi break ins with no sign of entry. Whether this be through a generic immobilizer or something more technical I am not sure.

Forensics have just visited this morning, and for obvious reasons, I will not state what they found.

Please all, be vigilant and make sure nothing and I mean NOTHING is left in your car overnight, concealed or not!

1st Gear

Status
    Really sorry to hear about this happening to more and more people! I'm going to keep my car in a locked garage from now on. These silly beeping alarms that warn you when you walk too close might actually be a good idea. Prevent them from looking in and then being able to break in without any alarms going off. Hope the police find something and they catch the b*stards!!
    Lava Grey A3 Hatchback S-line 170 Quattro, 18" Speedline Turini's, Bilstein B8 Shocks, 35mm H&R Springs, H&R ARB's, Small Remap, Darkside Development EGR Delete, K&N Panel, Full S3 Brakes, Yellow Stuff Pads, Drilled/Grooved Disc's, Bi-Xenons, DRL's, Full Leather, RNS-E/Changer/Bose, LED Interior Light Pack + Ambient Lighting, Rain And Light Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Cruise Control, Auto Folding Mirrors, Black Grill/Badges, MY11 Rears, Lamin-x Fogs.

Neutral

Status
    After reading this thread, im more worried than ever cos i live very close to leeds, not gonna say where! lol, the thing is that my rear windows are fully tinted however the front windows are not at all tinted so you can clearly see the RNS-e, not sure how to hide it yet

Reverse Gear

Status
    J8Y - really sorry to hear about your break in. Thats well out of order. On the plus side at least the scum bags didn't damage the car!! I live / drive around a similar area to you and it is a bit of a worry. One of my best mates was telling me how someone broke into his brothers neighbours Q7 in Baildon. Aparently the w4nkers in this world can get hold of some device that fires out key codes. They place the device under / near a parked car. Eventually the device sends out the code that disables your alarm / unlocks the car and they are in. This could all be bull but I'm lead to believe it's genuine. I've only had my a3 for 3 months and I'm now wondering if it was a wise choice.

Neutral

Status
    Anybody know a good way to check if a rns-e is stolen? tried S/N at audi?

Reverse Gear

Status
    I don't understand why Audi don't use the same system Saab do for their head units. The unit is "married" to the cars ecu and has to be divorced from the ecu in the car which needs the key and a saab TechII machine before it can be remarried to another.

Really sorry to hear about all the units getting stolen, I was thinking of getting one and had been looking at ebay. Having read this thread I think I will scrap the idea and I'm no where near Leeds
    Artimus likes this.
    A3 TDi S Line DSG Lava Grey, Leather, Bose, 18" Split Rims
    Mods: Ambient Lights, Puddle & Footwell lights, Tints, Exhaust Trim, Mudflaps, Wind Deflectors Cup Holder Mod

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast