Problems starting / Rough idle. > Video Inside <

G

Goner

When the car is both cold and hot it will struggle to start from time to time, when i say struggle i mean i am turning the key for around 6 to 8 seconds (when its playing up at its worst) waiting for it to catch?

Another thing it seems to be doing also is suffering from erratic idling, the rev counter will bounce between 800rpm and 600rpm with the engine sounding like it's missing.

Its been serviced around 700 mile ago with PD oil and a new air, oil and fuel filter by a good mechanic i know.

The car is a 56 plate 2.0L TDI 140, manual with 50K.

This is the from this morning, as you can see the glow plug light has already gone out and it still struggles to catch and fire.

You'll notice the video shaking, that's not me, that's the car shaking, the video phone is held against the steering wheel so it's not my hand shaking.

Are you running with a Diesel?

I've come across this a few times myself even when the car is warm and at a stand still. Not 100% sure of the problem, although I sometimes put the particulate filter to blame. Do you do short burst trips or long miles when using the car?

My particulate filter needed clearing out a while back and Audi roadside assist came out as the car would not use more than 2,000 revs. We simply turned the engine on, revved to 1,500 and burnt all the crap out of the particulate filter. During the process the car was rumbling/shaking like in the video.

Don't hold me to this being the cause though. Someone here may be able to give you a better more precise answer.

Yes, mines a TDI 140 and doesn't have a DPF so i don't think it's the same problem as yours mate.

What information do i need to provide in order for me to get some suggestions as to what maybe causing the problem.

Reason why i ask is because I've posted two threads about this issue and nothing has really been suggested.

Tell me what you guys need and i'll get the information as i need to get this fixed quickly as possible.

have u tried unplugging air flow meter ?

sounds like a bad miss fire ?

check fuel filter ?

u need to scan with vcds realy

LooKs like a glow plug might of gone down. Or they have a bit of probes wi loom on injectors.
Or may be an injector not firing right

If it was an injector it wouldn't drive right though would it, apart from the lumpy idle, the ***** it is to start it drives fine mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
not all the time i had a polo in garge not so long ago idle missed its tits off reving fine pal lets see how it foes tonight. i now have ways of cleaning injectors out pal :rock:

We'll see what Gareth's VCDS shows tonight, just out of interest.. How do you clean the injectors out now? I assume you're not on about some Redex type stuff?

injectors realy need to be removed and cleaned to be done proper which aint cheap.

Have you had this done yourself? How many hours roughly were you charged?

its a few hours labour to take injectors out as they have to be set back up correctly . ive had mine swapped some time ago with newer ones.

best wait a get it code read

Won't be getting scanned tonight now as the lad that's doing it for me is busy again.

We need a vag com near by any 1 want to help Bradford area

Might be the temp sensor, heard this can cause starting issues + lumpy idle.

Not scanned with VCDS but another fault finding device (snap on) and no fault codes found?!

Due to no faults showing up last night we opened up the fuel filter housing to see if that has dirt in it and also to check the 'O Ring' which seals the unit, it would appear it's letting air into the system as there were air bubbles present in the fuel. The O ring is slightly damaged so I'm getting a new one to rule that out.

MAF sensor at fault in the end up! Not actually changed it because once the fault codes have been cleared the car has been behaving itself.

£85.25 for a MAF from Audi is this about right? :confused: This price includes exchanging mine with Audi Leeds?

I will be buying another one soon but i didn't think they were that expensive.

if i remember rite a Maf fault wont bring up a fault code.

if i remember rite a Maf fault wont bring up a fault code.

The first time it was scanned was using my mates snap on code reader, the second time the car was scanned with some proper VAG kit, it said VAS on the handheld computer screen thing the guy used and it showed MAF fault - sporadic?

Anyway, cleared that fault and the car has been fine since, what i was told though is you can re programme the injectors to fire more fuel in when starting the car and idling to help get rid of rough idle, this is getting done this weekend although the car does seem to be fine now?

Thanks for the link mate but that place is miles away from me!

The timing belt is due on my motor soon anyway so it will be.

:thumbsup: