H-H-H-HELPPPPP

mark.colledge

Reaction score
evening guys+girls,

my car failed its mot today because of my lights.
1 they aint adjusted
2 there isn't a beam pattern

can anyone tell me how i can get my beam pattern back?
any help will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance.

mark

Last edited:
are they standard headlights? Somebody hasnt fitted aftermarket an aftermarket xenons to standard headlights?

Have you got more info about the car itself? Maybe take some pics of the front end of the car with and without lights on and against a solid wall

yeah its a 2006 a3 1.9 tdi.
ill take some photos in a sec after my corn beef pie :drool:.

ive had this on a different car, turned out bulbs just werent fully seated. Might be worth point the car against a wall, turn on lights and chalk where the beam falls. then remove bulbs reseat and see whether the beam changes. also maybe try different bulbs

I'd start by checking the bulb is fitted/located correctly and properly secured into the headlamp.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

okay guys, here are the pics.

please don't laugh :)

ive had this on a different car, turned out bulbs just werent fully seated. Might be worth point the car against a wall, turn on lights and chalk where the beam falls. then remove bulbs reseat and see whether the beam changes. also maybe try different bulbs

that my friend could be the answer. ill have a little tinkle in a bit.

Now its failed, go back to the mot tester, ask them to adjust the headlights to be inline with mot pass requirement, then ask to retest officially, job done, its the only way forward & as they're the tester they cant really fail if they set correctly, most will do if you pay for there time.

Urm just seen images, are they xenon headlights, show us the headlights themselves.

Reactions: The Engineer
no there not xenon. just standard sh*t :(
hope this pic is what you are looking for...

IMG_5920.jpg

i think you just need to adjust them so the beam is a little lower and inwards. If they are halogen headlights then you can adjust them slightly with the two white adjusters at the top of each headlight. Open the the bonnet look at top of headlights, the outer one adjusts height up or down and the inner one adjusts the beams inwards or outwards. But just bear in mind that you can only make minor adjustments this way.
If your lights are xenon then this will need to be adjusted using VCDs i believe, although again you can make minor adjust as above.

yeah it has the adjustments on top. ill have a tinker...
i usually run a HID kit but i changed it due to the mot.

( yes i was carful not to hit the cover in the light :p )

My halogens have a very sharp cut off, looking at those, they look like the same crappy beam pattern as a HID kit.
Are you sure they're not HIDS?

Then only other answer is as suggested, bulbs are probably seated the wrong way round :)
H7 bulbs have a notch out (as I'm sure you know) which normally sits on the top I believe :)

How did you get your HIDS to work without blowing your wiper motor?

pointing up? bumm i put them in pointing down hahaha. my bad.

errm well. iv been through 2 wiper motors :) then they said it was a fault with the dash board. since then they have been spot on.
thinking of ditching the hid kit and going for some bright white bulbs from halfords. i think there xenon. i may be wrong.

How did you get your HIDS to work without blowing your wiper motor?
yes yes very good question, had a hid kit in the garage from my last car, dared not fit it for fear of the wiper motor

They normally are pointing up mate, that'd probably explain the bad beam pattern :)

Metc Cosmos blue are probably the closest to HIDS mate, the halfords ones are crap :no:

well fellas, thanks for your help, if it wasn't for the forum id be skint!!

you may now call me an idiot, the bulbs were upside down :(
now that they are the right way up, there is a perfect beam pattern.

now tomorrows job is cv boot...:lazy:
touch wood that goes okay.

once again thanks guys.