"That pollen filter will fit!!!!!!"

afcjay

Reaction score
I bought my A3 a few months back and although its had a lot of money spent and came with a F.S.H

The car has been on the longlife service plan and the previous owner had kept to the service intervals but i myself really dont like the idea of such long intervals so today as the car had done 10k since the last service thought now was the time to change to a 10k service plan and save myself a packet and do it myself

Anyway i got all the service parts today for just under £100 and set about getting mucky doing a full service.

All went well but i was a little concerned when i changed the pollen filter. (i know what i found isnt going to cause any major problems but it does make think)

Anyway like i say its all done now and i know its been done as it should plus ive saved myself a small fortune

By the way this is how i found the pollen filter (half the leaves and dirt etc had just fallen out the bottom as it wasnt sealed properly either) to be honest this really shouldnt happen and did have me a bit worried about how cars are treated when in the hands of leading companys charging what they do

holiday2011pollenfilter003.jpg

Think someone was in a hurry, fairly dirty that one huh.

I recently changed mine and it was pretty damn bad too. It looks like that might be one of the active carbon filters which will be 'greyish' in colour as opposed to a crisp white paper filter when new i.e its probably not quite as bad as it looks. They are a bit of a git to fit first time round but there's no excuse for that :lmfao:

Yes there are two types of pollen filter. The simple paper one is for cars not fitted with climate control, the activated carbon one is the one you need if you have climate control. The activated carbon helps to combat smells which can always originate from in-car components which can get wet. Example: the climate control cooling radiator.

This is useful info; the carbon filter is only a few pounds more, about £12 but potentially makes a lot of difference. I just had my climate control serviced, leak sealed, dyed and cleaned. Got a temporary paper version in there but ideally need to upgrade it back to factory which is the active carbon version.

That really is shocking - I would be fuming if I opened my pollen filter and found that there!