Chris NottVolks Autos
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NHN

Thread: Turbo whine??

Neutral

Status

Turbo whine??

When you can feel the turbo kick in there is a whine noise??Is this normal or is it on the way??

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Probably the turbo spooling mate? What sort of mileage has your car done? Could be a leaky boost pipe.

Neutral

Status
    96K Mate wats spooling??:/ lol!

3rd Gear

Status
    Spooling is where the turbo is spinning up to create boost. Has your car gone into limp mode at all?

4th Gear

Status
    normal till it goes pop mate
    Audi S3 8P2 Silver
    BI-Xenons - FBMFSW - Rain/Light Pack - Auto dim package - iPod Integration - 2011 Nav - Electric Folding Mirrors - Rear Park Sensors - Full Heated Leather - BOSE - Privacy Windows - 2011 Console Conversion - My11 Rear Lights - RevD Diverter - Forge DMV14T BOV - ITG Maxogen CAI - BBS CH 18s

Neutral

Status
    No not yet! suppose thats the next stage,whats happens when it goes??It's not a loud noise faint wineing

Neutral

Status
    Cheers mate!! lol!

1st Gear

Status
    Mine started to whine, faint at first but then gradually louder. It then started to overboost and eventually after about 4000miles went into limp home mode. Reconditioned turbo later, faint whine is still there(think this is normal although it never used to make the noise???) but driving fine.

facebook.com/m9tbh

Status
    means its on its way out

Audi A3 2.0 TDi - Dolphin Grey
    Matt Black Grille / Lamin-x / Tinted Rear Windows / BOSE Premium Audio / S3 Spoiler / Coilovers / S6 19x9 Alloy Wheels / Remapped

3rd Gear

Status
    A faint whistle is normal.

Neutral

Status
    Just a matter of time then!!:/ glad itook AA warranty cover!!

Enthusiast

Status
    Whistle is normal, whine could be a sign of turbo on a way out.
    Make sure your warranty covers the turbo.
    VCDS USER

Neutral

Status
    Tiverton, Somerset, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Mine does a wooo noise rather than a tish noise in 1st and 2nd then goes away any ideas?

51k 2.0 TDI 140

Neutral

Status
    A feint whistle is normal, mine is quite noticeable with the windows open. I have had several cars with turbos, think this one is number six, and they have all done it. The audi did sound a little harsh when I got it but after a service and some fresh oil sounds much better, difficult to describe but the spool up now sounds much smoother.

1st Gear

Status
    well this eve i have noticed a very faint sort of whine/whistling sound but this is isn't under heavy acceleration and its before the turbo kicks in then I can just hear it spooling up, does this sound like a leaky boost pipe? not really too sure if its something to worry about only noticed it as i didn't have the stereo on

Shark in a Goldfishes clothing

Status
    Mine has a whine on it, but mine is intermittent and sounds more like it's the alternator than the turbo, like a belt whine if that makes sense?

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Stink View Post
    well this eve i have noticed a very faint sort of whine/whistling sound but this is isn't under heavy acceleration and its before the turbo kicks in then I can just hear it spooling up, does this sound like a leaky boost pipe? not really too sure if its something to worry about only noticed it as i didn't have the stereo on
    I noticed that after changing standard air filter to ITG panel filter.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I think a little bit of scaremongering going on here

Whistle/whine is normal to an extent, however your car has done 96k, the turbo's get caked up inside with sticking internals, now thats not to say yours is at that stage or ever will be, but I would do a scan of the car, if no signs of overboosting or errors in general I wouldnt worry about it, if it bothers you that much then get it looked at, check intake pipes are all tight & in place, check system for leaks, remove turbo check internals & see if its caked or not, also check if the bearings are loose, variety of ways to deal with, but unless you notice any performance differences I wouldnt worry yourself atm.

Mine went & replaced with a hybrid, my heart sunk as I thought uh oh new engine or car scrapped, luckily (in some ways) it was just the turbo, but the oil had gone into exhaust system, so had to drain this out & then pass liquid through to get rid of any clogged up excess oil, did it all myself, was a ball breaker, but I learnt allot from it & very glad I did it tbh.
    Last edited by NHN; 20th August 2011 at 17:22.
    RedDejavu and djcatfood like this.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    my tdi sounds like a police car is following me the turbo whines so much! doesnt seem to be any leakages or anything though...

facebook.com/m9tbh

Status
    When mine started whining (after I had only had it 3 weeks) I sent it back to the dealership and was told I needed a new turbo. Which the garage kindly paid for. And now it doesn't make a peep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audi A3 2.0 TDi - Dolphin Grey
    Matt Black Grille / Lamin-x / Tinted Rear Windows / BOSE Premium Audio / S3 Spoiler / Coilovers / S6 19x9 Alloy Wheels / Remapped

Limp mode

Status
    As NHN says people are to quick to replace turbos.

When i bought my 54 plate 2.0TDI there were no whistles or whines, i gave it an oil change (with good quality recommended oil) and within 1000 miles it started to sound like a police car was following. 500 miles later it went into limp mode, this happened several times before i decided to take the turbo off and have a look. It was badly sooted up, but i could not see any wear at all. I gave it a clean with parafin and other chemicals i had laying around in the garage. It was soot free when i put it back together, i have done about 5000 miles since, it has not gone back into limp mode, and i have no loss in power.
    However! I still have a faint whistle/whine, and there has been a couple of ocassions it was quite loud that worried me.

After reading a few more posts, I then checked my vacuum hoses to my intercooler and noticed oil around the joins, so purchased replacement seals thinking that would cure the noise, but the noise was still there, and when checking the vacuum hoses again a few weeks later, i noticed they were still dispursing a small amount of oil.
    I will be replacing the hoses at some point, but in no hurry while the car is running fine.

Hope my experience can help!
    Previously known as mark_sarah