Engine cover trimming

poli84

Reaction score
I'm sorry if it is obvious but i've searched here and google but can't find the answer.

Can someone please direct me to instructions on how to trim your engine cover to fit a CAI?

Here is a pic of how the engine cover needs tobe trimmed. I believe some guys have just used a Dremel style hand tool with a cutting wheel attachment to cut it, because when you use anything with more power, the plastic tends to melt. :) x

Enginecover1.jpg

Go on Poli, you know you want a stock S3 cover to cut :D this thread will come in handy once my cover arrives. Well the intake needs to arrive first. Did you get a cover yet?

Thanks for the info guys.
Boydie, i'd love to purchase but I'm in Australia and i think shipping will be a bit hefty.

NCRAW, i'll definitely be doing something with my engine cover.
Won't be leaving it off.
I've got an order for some parts through my work situation and have made an inquiry about a TTS cover.
Hopefully my order has not shipped yet and I will add the cover.
If not, I will trim my cover and worry about buying a new cover when it comes time to sell.

I was hoping you could cut it with some form of hand tool as I don't have a clue who has a dremel.

Thanks for the pic though Paulie. It will make a good guide if I can't get the TTS cover.

Its the tool that looks like a dentist's drill. Dremel is a brand (a bit like how Kleenex is used for tissue). You can buy the Ozito brand at bunnings. Pretty well made and cheap and very handy to have around.

Thanks for posting the link. By the way, I told Frank to send my oil cap with your order. It suppose to ship within a week. thanks.

Thanks for the info guys.
Boydie, i'd love to purchase but I'm in Australia and i think shipping will be a bit hefty.

NCRAW, i'll definitely be doing something with my engine cover.
Won't be leaving it off.
I've got an order for some parts through my work situation and have made an inquiry about a TTS cover.
Hopefully my order has not shipped yet and I will add the cover.
If not, I will trim my cover and worry about buying a new cover when it comes time to sell.

I was hoping you could cut it with some form of hand tool as I don't have a clue who has a dremel.

Thanks for the pic though Paulie. It will make a good guide if I can't get the TTS cover.

Yeah i know what a Dremmel is, just don't know anyone who has one.
Do you? haha we can trim our engine covers together!

That's excellent news that my Twintake is shipping within a week!
Hopefully it's here by the time I get home from China!

They're pretty cheap as power tools go, and worth the investment - it's amazing what you can find to do with it once it's there.

Yeah they are pretty cheap and definitely good to have one at home. I don't have one but my friend does (he is always helping me on these mods). Yeah mate, we can do the cover mods the same time. Once you get yours we can do it at the same time same place.

Yeah i know what a Dremmel is, just don't know anyone who has one.
Do you? haha we can trim our engine covers together!

That's excellent news that my Twintake is shipping within a week!
Hopefully it's here by the time I get home from China!

Sure!! and if it goes wrong then you can have it and I take yours hehe. I'm hoping the new one arrives next week. Now i have to hunt down a gasket for the exhaust and im not sure where to get one from.

Sounds good to me mate!
We'll do yours first yeah...? :)