Lane Change - change the number of flashes from 3 to 5.

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I've seen on the A1 Forum (which I have started to look in to because my wife has a new A1 on order) that on the A1 you can change the number of times the indicators flash using the Lane Change from 3 to 5.

The details given are:

• [VCDS] Indicator Soft Touch
• Sets the number of flash operations of soft touch turn signals
• Control unit "09-Central Electric">> "Adjustments">> "Comfort turn signal (Cycles)
• Adjustable: 1-5x
• Default value: 3 times

Does anyone know if this is the same on the A3.

I saw this option on my VCDS the other day for my MY10 car but kept mine set to 3.

I've just had a look using my VCDS and their is a controller listed as 3C-Lane Change but when I click on it I get the message "No Response from Controller. I assume therefore that it cannot be changed on my 2009 A3. Shame the 5 flashes would be nice.

I think i can change mine via the DIS...once i have owned it for a couple of years i might read the instruction........but then probably not :)

Afaik you can turn the lane change thingy on and off with the dis.. Don't think you can change how many times it flashes without vcds? Is 3 not enough, then..? Just change lane a bit quicker??

Afaik you can turn the lane change thingy on and off with the dis.. Don't think you can change how many times it flashes without vcds? Is 3 not enough, then..? Just change lane a bit quicker??

Normally three is enough but the little extra is always useful as a lot of drivers seem to drive along with their brains in neutral.

You could do 3 flashes twice and pretend? :)

It's definitely not available on the older A3s, I doubt on the newer ones either. You can disable it (soft touch just gives one flash not 3) but not modify the number.

I too have the option for switching the comfort function off & on from within the DIS but not to alter the duration.

I think 3 is enough because i use it a lot on roundabouts .....Yup..I'm the guy that still uses indicators on them :)
Point is going right at a roundabout you want to indicate right to go round.....then left to leave the roundabout and 3 flashes is about right in convenience mode to do that. you dont want to be still flashing right as you turn left to leave :)

also i would say when overtaking say a cyclist, 3 flashes indicates an overtake. 5 or more would be almost indicating you are about to turn right and scare oncoming traffic to death :)

I too have the option for switching the comfort function off & on from within the DIS but not to alter the duration.

See !! i knew it was not worth reading the instructions :)

I did some research into this not long ago. Unfortunately not possible on pre 09 models and even some 09 up still not possible.

Sucks as I was hoping to also change it!

Lane change module is associated with the lane change assist Dave that has warnings built into side of mirrors on say newer A4, A5 etc.

Still need to find out if it has any interaction with dis, as I'm assuming its coded into door modules aswell.

I think 3 is enough because i use it a lot on roundabouts .....Yup..I'm the guy that still uses indicators on them :)
Point is going right at a roundabout you want to indicate right to go round.....then left to leave the roundabout and 3 flashes is about right in convenience mode to do that. you dont want to be still flashing right as you turn left to leave :)

also i would say when overtaking say a cyclist, 3 flashes indicates an overtake. 5 or more would be almost indicating you are about to turn right and scare oncoming traffic to death :)
I agree with all you have said here paddy.. Its obvious from this you have proper biker road sense.. All joking aside, if more people drove like this, the road would be a lot safer (and I wouldn't have wheels for legs)