Tools for retrieving small parts from engine bay?!?

munchkincoupe

Reaction score
I dropped a small screwdriver into my engine bay today and after a load of messing about I retrieved it using a magnet taped to a wire coat hangar. Can you buy a proper tool that does this - if so what is it called? Also I have used a tool in the past that was flexible and had claws that extended out when you pushed the handle but again can't recall what is was called?

Any help is much appreciated

Damn you paddy!! Lol they say great minds think alike, yours is just a bit quicker...

Reactions: paddy
LOL...We seem to be on the same wavelength today :) There is an advantage in the grab thing !! i have one at work and its very good...........if what you want to pick up is alloy...or plastic :) magnetic thing extends much longer...

Last edited:
I would second that, obviously the magnetic one is only useful for stuff that is, well..... Magnetisable!?:think: is that a real word?

I thought magnetic meant it was a material which can be picked up by a magnet and/or turned into a magnet while magnetised is something magnetic which has been turned into a magnet. "Made of a magnetic material" maybe?

I love my magnetic picker-upper, could do with a grabber though... I use my nan's old-person-picker-upper if I can't get at something.

(Edit: erm, that's a thing old people use to pick stuff up with, rather than a thing used to pick old people up)

That's awesome paddy! Could've done with that when I dropped my phone down the toilet lol