Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

Opinions needed - Wrap or Re-spray ????

Hi lads,

Been recently thinking about getting my A3 wrapped in vinyl, got a quote from a local place for £1400 for the whole car however I'm beggining to think that it's false economy as it will not correct the little bits I want sorted out.

on the other hand I had a quote for £1800 for full re-spray which will sort out all the issues and get my car looking brand spanking new, with this option I can probably do the front end conversion and it will sort out things like this :

This is after someone decided to either smash a trolley or their car to the side of my car in an almost abandoned car park in Asda...

What would you do if you were in my situation ???

Cheers for any input
    Jack

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi TDI Power!

Status
    Spray

Audi A3 Ibis White Black Edition 2.0TDI
    Stage 1 - 180bhp
    / 300lbft torque | iPod Connection | Phone Prep/Bluetooth | Cruise Control | Exclusive Line Nappa Leather | Model de-badge

ABT Tuning | Audi Driver Magazine |Shell V Power | Revolution247.com | Audi-Sport.net
    Progress Thread: Click here for more photos!

6th Gear

Status
    As there laquered i would have that panel sprayed and the rest of the car mopped up.save a grand on a full respray

Neutral

Status
    I was at Santa pod this weekend for euro sport compact, and they had 3 stands there wrapping cars. The finish overall is good, but the points where it wraps around the bonnet and under or over sills (depending on company) was very poor. Very minor, but I would not accept it. That said a lot of people get ferraris, Lamborghini and Aston Martin ect wrapped to preserve the paint.
    I personally would spray it, and mop the rest of the car. but it is personal choice.

1st Gear

Status
    spray, have scratches on mine aswell and going for respray, if wrap was around 500-600 then wrap but these days wrapping companies charge a lot. not worth it

5th Gear

Status
    Spray would be my choice also
    A4 S-Line. Mods so far; Cruise, DIS, Mk2 RNS-e, Audi 6 CD changer, XcarLink with self manufactured permanent ipod dock, B8 MFSW, Dectane Dayline Headlights with independantly switched DRL's, RS4 Rear ARB, De-badged, RS4 pedals, HIDS, RS4 front grille and RS4 style fog surrounds, LCR splitter in Satin Black, Rear Park Assist, LED gearknob, Red footwell lighting, Kitchen sink and Shower cubicle.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm voting for spray - if you have a later scratch that you can catch your nail on with a wrap, it can't be corrected as well/easily as a 'normal' bodywork scratch.....usually meaning you'll have to have the entire panel re-wrapped.

Status
    I think wraps are great for roofs (black on White car), but I've been looking into this and I have similar concerns over chips and marks that will require full panel retrim.

Also wraps don't last indefinitely, I'm sure I read they start to deteriorate after about 3-5yrs.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

6th Gear

Status
    Spray, i've yet to see a car which has been wrapped and it looks 100% right in all places of the body work.

Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    I think wraps are great for roofs (black on White car), but I've been looking into this and I have similar concerns over chips and marks that will require full panel retrim.

Also wraps don't last indefinitely, I'm sure I read they start to deteriorate after about 3-5yrs.
    ^ true. But I think the way most people look at it is that they wouldn't keep a car that long anyway - the wrap can still be removed before selling up too - it's just the chips and scratch/key marked issues that would concern me.

Meow.

Status
    That'll need repaired anyway surely as it'll just show through so bad with a wrap.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Paint ADL long

Meow.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Paint ADL long
    Paint all day long long?

On the ball today Nath

3rd Gear

Status
    Agree With Warren,small area's bonnets and roofs look good and break up colour but all the car is over the top to me now,a kid who goes to Statller has a 996 turbo which he did in matt black and carbon,at first it looked like a mean stealth bomber now its weather it just looks poor,areas lifting,fading in different patches,plus as mentioned some areas are badly cut and its bound to have gone through to the paint when trimming round seals etc,also i have seen too many damage the paint getting it off as some of the glue bonds in to the paint with heat tearing laquer off when removed.I work in a bodyshop so would always preffered things painted,the only down side is if you get it painted every stonechip and scratch bird dropping etc on the paint breaks your heart

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

TFSI Addict...

Status
    That seems a little cheap for a spray. You should check on their work before you committ but yeah go for a spray mate.
    '59 A3 Sportback 1.8 T FSI Sport S-Tronic Ibis White

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Sorry was tryin to emphasise the LONG lmfao

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAshman View Post
    That seems a little cheap for a spray. You should check on their work before you committ but yeah go for a spray mate.
    The place is sound and their work is very good, it's £1800 because I got a quote through a garage that's doing work on my missus VW so I get 15% off.

events moderator

Status
    spray all day long um long lol , why would you want a respray for that little mark anyway lol
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    spray all day long um long lol , why would you want a respray for that little mark anyway lol
    Well, that's just one of them, there's quite a few bent stone chips on the bonnet, a crack in the rear bumper, a dent in rear passanger quarter, scratches around door handles. I want to do the conversion so having to spray that and sort out all other bits mentioned I might as well have it re-sprayed and not get annoyed every time I clean my car :D

events moderator

Status
    oh right haha fair enough mate

1st Gear

Status
    I think wrapping is great if your going for a wacky colour that you think potentially could hamper re-sale. But in this scenario where there is damage I think a spray would be much better, everyone has a mate who owns a spray shop ask around and might get it done for same as the wrap ;-)
    Biggie Biggie Biggie can't you see!
    2008 a5 3.0TDi Quattro. And for when I wanna go fast.... Suzuki B-King (Hayabusa with no fairing, think 0-100 in 5.1 seconds!)

In awe of VCDS

Status
    Spray. I used to have that stone ship film on the front of my Ford Racing Puma and when it got tatty and needed replacing it was so hard to get off that it needed spraying in the end.
    For a decent finish you can't beat paint, no matter how good the vinyl.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

LMFAO Fran long long long

events moderator

Status
    just carrying on the longness n8