Wing mirrors stolen .......help needed

ndiddee

Reaction score
Hi guys I need some help with my red 2007 s3.

Had my wing mirrors stolen outside work in Stockton (teesside) in march. Went through insurance (protected no claims) to get them replaced with the standard s3 wing mirrors (auto folding, auto dimming, electric, heated). The f**Kers have come back yesterday and pinched them again. Not impressed at all. Broad day light and same parking space.

I am not going to get the aluminium/silver ones on again just to get them nicked again. It's targeted crime now and they will keep coming back. I am going tomget CCTV installed ASAP. I got a quote from a good local body shop. 1000 for silver ones or 600 for bog standard red painted ones. I still think that's too expensive. Can anyone help? Time is a bit of an issue as need to get car in on Tuesday to get the work done as need the car back.

If anyone else has had this happen in the teesside area the police would like to know as they are investigating this issue now.

Thanks guys

Sorry to hear about this, thieves are the scum of the earth. :mad:

Ebay maybe a good start, also try this site: http://www.partsgateway.co.uk/
i
ve used it for a few years now. sign up then put your requirements in and it
will send the request out to garages and scrap yards in your area.
they will all try beat each other on price. quite a good site.

I hope you get something sorted :o.k:

Ebay would be a good place to see if yours appear on there for sale too.

I can help, I have a set of facelift 09 onwards folding, dimming, blind sided both sides for sale, can even get covers painted to your car colour & courier to you.

Also £600 isnt even close mate for standard car colour covers, as they havnt taken into consideration you have auto dimming, no way you would get all that new for £600 I know that as fact as the mirror glass is £200 each alone.

Send me a PM if interested.

Sorry to hear the bad news, someone should bring back the 'cutting off of hands' law for low-lifes like that.
I can't help with where to get them, but maybe Nigel (NHN on the forum) can get some cheaper than the dealers. He's a top bloke and will help whenever he can.

I'm not in the Teeside area, but my neighbour has had his S4 mirrors nicked twice in the Herts area. He's replaced his with silver again, but I think it's because his is a company car.

Just a thought, to keep the car all original for when you come to sell it, why don't you get the proper silver ones through your insurance and get them vinyl wrapped. That way when you come to sell the car one day, you can peel off the vinyl and have the proper genuine silver ones that people buying an S3 will want. The vinyl will also protect them from chips an scuffs.

Ebay would be a good place to see if yours appear on there for sale too.

The only thing is that you wouldn't be able to tell if they were yours or not, unless you had a distinctive scratch.
I'm usually a fan of ebay for bits for my cars, but in this case I'd try my best to avoid buying from ebay as the ones you buy could have been stolen from someone like yourself. It might end up encouraging more people to start nicking silver mirrors if there is a high demand for them.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Have put a request into partsgateway.

Did have a look on eBay to see if mine had come up but nothing there. I agree would never buy off eBay as funding the criminals to steal again.

The £600 quote is for standard new electric painted mirrors. Not folding or dimming.

Tut tut and the S3 mirror circle continues,sorry to hear

Sorry to hear mate. I am from Teesside and I know of another guy who had his S3 mirrors stole a few months back also. Where abouts do you work in Stockton? Jack

Fairfield
Twice nicked in car park. First ones 10am march, second ones 4pm Thursday gone.

Where abouts is Fairfield? I'm from Middlesbrough so only vaguely familiar with certain parts of Stockton!

So did they just take the covers or the whole mirror? Can the complete mirror assembly be removed without opening the door?!!

So did they just take the covers or the whole mirror? Can the complete mirror assembly be removed without opening the door?!!
No...they rip the mirrors off and sell the caps on Ebay,a real seller will have the plug and base to mount the mirror.

I got up this morning to find my mirrors nicked off my S4 - all I got left is wires hanging out the door :-(

I work at James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough. Spoke to a guy the other day with an RS5 who had his mirrors stolen in the hospital car park, couldn't believe it... especially since the car park has security!

Mines the B6 - Audi main dealers just quoted me £1183.46 for Ally ones complete and £737.26 for plastic ones complete. Gutted.

I'll see if I can find some for you, they're bar stewards huh, unreal thought this had died down tbh.

I'll see if I can find some for you, they're bar stewards huh, unreal thought this had died down tbh.

Best bit is - I gotta drive a car with no mirrors to heathrow airport in 24 hours - still, if it's got no mirrors at least they can't be stolen in the long stay car park ;-)

Thanks for the offer - I'll be out of the country for a week but I'll check in from time to time. TBH - my preference is to fit plastic bodied mirrors now - but I'd like to keep the auto dim etc

Cheers

Nick

Best bit is - I gotta drive a car with no mirrors to heathrow airport in 24 hours
You'll find yourself still looking in them (of course that is if you do normally) but see nowt but wires lol

Problem is, will you get pulled for it & is it a road law requirement for mirrors & should you drive a car without, its not me you understand, but do check with the police 1st, as I'm literally calling them to see if driving to paintshop without a bonnet is illegal for accident purposes, just been told its not illegal without a bonnet, but may be construed as dangerous to pedestrians, in event of accident & may get called up on it.

Last edited:
Problem is, will you get pulled for it & is it a road law requirement for mirrors & should you drive a car without, its not me you understand, but do check with the police 1st, as I'm literally calling them to see if driving to paintshop without a bonnet is illegal for accident purposes, just been told its not illegal without a bonnet, but may be contrued as dangerous to pedestrians, in event of accident & may get called up on it.

Funnily enough I've just mentioned it to the PC sat on my sofa :) On a happier note they have someone in custody from this am, seems that 5 houses not 200 yards from me all had their cars tampered with. They didn't find his gear so they think it's stashed locally.

I'm off to look for it!

Nigel,I was given a number off the police if I was pulled I'd tell them to ring it as my mirrors weren't off the shelf and I needed the car for work.

Yeah if you contact the cops, then they will of course advise accordingly, but it was just advice to check before he drove of to Heathrow, where there are always cops with guns itching for a reason to pull you :)

I work at James Cook Hospital in Middlesbrough. Spoke to a guy the other day with an RS5 who had his mirrors stolen in the hospital car park, couldn't believe it... especially since the car park has security!

Unbelievable this! I live not too far away from the hospital. This is obviously getting worse and worse.