First car 8P or....?

Nicky.

Reaction score
Hi there,For my first car I've been thinking of getting a 1.6 2003-2004 8P A3,I've seen some nice examples go for about 3k of the 8P but I've also seen good some 8l 1.6 A3's go for cheap.

Which model would you good people recommend?

8P 1.6 2003-2004 or 8l 1.6 (Face lift model)?

I know this may seem a bit too much of a car for a first car for some people but the only hatchback that puts a smile on my face is the Audi A3 lol.

P.s Sorry about were this thread is,I don't know what category I could of put it in.

Thanks.

Would all depend on your budget IMO your better off with a 1.8t variant which can gO for cheap these days.

The 8P is quite a step ahead of the 8L in terms of size and kit, even though there's potentially less than a year between them. I wouldn't get the 1.6 in either of them, to be honest, it's not a great engine and is completely out classed by the rest of the range.

The 8P is quite a step ahead of the 8L in terms of size and kit, even though there's potentially less than a year between them. I wouldn't get the 1.6 in either of them, to be honest, it's not a great engine and is completely out classed by the rest of the range.

I would get a 8P as said above over the 8L but as it's your first car then I assume you are limited to the 1.6 for insurance purposes. The 1.6 is a reliable engine from what I know of it....

+1. The 1.6 is a shocking engine.

Thanks for the replys,Yes ill have to get a 1.6 for insurance purposes as insurance is steep at my age.
Ever since I seen my sisters old 8P in Akoya Silver with gloss black rs4 wheels and red calipers made me fall in love with a3's lol.

If you don't mind me asking,Whats the ups and downs of the 1.6 model?

Thanks for the replys,Yes ill have to get a 1.6 for insurance purposes as insurance is steep at my age.
Ever since I seen my sisters old 8P in Akoya Silver with gloss black rs4 wheels and red calipers made me fall in love with a3's lol.

If you don't mind me asking,Whats the ups and downs of the 1.6 model?
Performance. No pull.

mine is ok it does me just fine 45+ mpg ( a bit slow yes) but its not as bad a people say you know ive had mine for 4 years now never failed to start always on the button everytime
Am I right in saying the older 1.6 was a better engine with more pull or am I making that up?

I was driving a new A3 1.6 Sport 2 years ago when I was 17... Nothing wrong with it. Ignore the people on here that will tell you its shocking, its not. Its fine for everyday use, and although Im a complete speed freak, I accept that I cant get insured on anything with any boot, so it beats driving a 1.2 Clio! If I could and insurance would let me, Id be in an S3.. or probably the better sounding Focus RS! Im the first to say the 1.6 slow, but its plenty quicker than people of your age in their 1.2's! On the plus side, its happy to rev, responsive, reliable! Wait a couple of years then get something quicker :)

People on here telling you its slow and advising you to go for a 1.8T doesnt make much sense to me? Its just not possible for a 17 year old to be insured on a 1.8T!

Reactions: jasonallen
The 1600 Engine seems fine to me, seen a couple on the road and this one particular one didnt seem to be going too badly - The other seemed abit slugish though! However, the 1400 Turbo so she has a fair boot in turbo range. By all means, I'd recommend a Astra VXR.

Your probably best attempting to get a job at your local MCDonalds and expanding your budget to be fair bud.

I wish I could have got an A3 1.6 for a first car. Had to settle for a 1.25 Fiesta which seemed quick due to the size and weight but was walked all over by 1.6s. Oh the olden days :) (only 5 years :p)

A 1600 would be plenty for a first car. I'm 17 and im driving a 1400 turbo. Have a test drive in it - give it some and see what you think. Looked at the mini couper?

I wish I could have got an A3 1.6 for a first car. Had to settle for a 1.25 Fiesta which seemed quick due to the size and weight but was walked all over by 1.6s. Oh the olden days :) (only 5 years :p)
those 1.25 zetec festa's are rapid little cars i was impressed with them

The 1600 Engine seems fine to me, seen a couple on the road and this one particular one didnt seem to be going too badly - The other seemed abit slugish though! However, the 1400 Turbo so she has a fair boot in turbo range. By all means, I'd recommend a Astra VXR.

Your probably best attempting to get a job at your local MCDonalds and expanding your budget to be fair bud.
I had the 1.4T before this engine (1.8T). You'll find it hard to find a better engine for overall performance and it's was great on petrol.

I had the 1.4T before this engine (1.8T). You'll find it hard to find a better engine for overall performance and it's was great on petrol.
cheap tax too isnt it ? guy in work has got the golf mk6 1.4tsi 160bhp its a little rocket tbf not that great on fuel tho as its the twin charged one

cheap tax too isnt it ? guy in work has got the golf mk6 1.4tsi 160bhp its a little rocket tbf not that great on fuel tho as its the twin charged one
Think the tax was £120 a year, don't think I had it long enough to renew the tax.

it is to be fair cant moan about that too much well unless you own a 06+ 3.2 quatty then your paying £400 + for it lol the tdi's are cheap as chips too

£35 for my 2010 2.0 tdi 140. They don't even offer a 6 month option haha

It's easy to forget and think we all had 2.0t firebreathing first cars isn't it :lmfao: my reality was nowhere near as good as an Audi 1.6..! Go for it mate, join the club..! Fran's looks better than many a higher specced model I've seen :wub: so it can be done.. Oh yeah - and I've had 2 8L's and have now got an 8p.. And much as I loved and miss my dolphin S3.. It's 8P ftw all the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranA3
It's easy to forget and think we all had 2.0t firebreathing first cars isn't it :lmfao: my reality was nowhere near as good as an Audi 1.6..! Go for it mate, join the club..! Fran's looks better than many a higher specced model I've seen :wub: so it can be done..
:wub: thanks mate nice to have kind words about my car , i would love a bigger engine dont get me wrong but as mine is so good on fuel i dont see the point in getting rid of it yet im happy with it (at the mo) , just make sure you dont go for the base model as they are really basic inside i think

:wub: thanks mate nice to have kind words about my car , i would love a bigger engine dont get me wrong but as mine is so good on fuel i dont see the point in getting rid of it yet im happy with it (at the mo) , just make sure you dont go for the base model as they are really basic inside i think
It's easy to be nice about it mate.. Black and red is my favourite colour combo.. Quad, aprilia, and of course the mrs lingerie :lmfao: sheet! I hope she never becomes a member on here :undwech:

It's easy to be nice about it mate.. Black and red is my favourite colour combo.. Quad, aprilia, and of course the mrs lingerie :lmfao: sheet! I hope she never becomes a member on here :undwech:
red and black just works so well thats why i did it , it used to be silver and red but painted my grills and the rest followed its all good :), haha would be an ex misses i think