DSG +/- back to front?

miketweed

Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong, think of any motor sport with sequential box's. Rally / Touring cars etc. They pull back on the shift to go up the gears 1-2-3 etc. The when breaking they (bang) it forwards to go down the gears 6-5-4 etc.

Why then is the DSG manual shift (stick) forwards for up and backwards for down?? I noticed this on my first test drive ages ago and you soon get used to it, but it seems not to be the 'obvious' way round. I'm sure BMW SMG is the same (and toyota thingy)

Just wondered if anyone knew the logic behind it.

because not everyones into motorsport...

the average jo will think he needs to change up and so push the stick "up" and to change down push "down"

.....Or a fighter pilot !

- who would instinctively pull the stick back to go 'up' !!

I'll be swapping mine as soon as I get it. Can only be a couple of micro switches. Did this on Mitsubishi FTO previously which was also the 'wrong' way round.

Not really about DSG, but the automatic gearbox in the new Mini is even weirder. The "paddles" on the steering wheel, both on the inner ring of the steering wheel (kinda hard to explain), need to be pulled to go up and pushed to go down. so it's not the left one to down shift or the right one to upshift. Takes some getting used to.

i'm pretty sure a lot of the road cars work the same way. Push forward to change up and pull back to change down.

playing computer games.by default the button further up the joypad changes up. And when you are in first you pull back/press the lower button of the two for neutral and then into reverse. Wonder if you could do that in the DSG while doing 20mph doing forward...now that would be fun. :)

If it was paddles i'd expect the higher up button to change up too.

I guess its personal choice as well..but it seem more natural (in human terms)the way it is in the Audi.

Maybe in motor racing its a scientific managment - taylorism issue of minimising the movments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i guess not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

no, the motorsport setup is all to do with gforce. If you're in a WRC flooring it, the force is pushing you back, thus to shift up it's easier to 'go with the flow' and pull back. When you throw the parachute and anchors out the back the force transfers and throws you forward, thus down shifting is easier to push forward.
Not such an issue in a 140bhp diesel, but better all the same. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Think thats right Eeef.

I'm also sure it's not a simple job to reverse it. Any German manufacturer would be letting the side down if they made something work in a user-servicable and common sense manner.

I've got the habit with the paddles quickly, except they turn with the wheel, which makes it tricky with more than 1/2 turn of lock!!! So on roundabouts etc you often need to mix stick and paddles - and I still often need to glance at the stick to check the +/-, but i'm sure this will go soon.

Also - to my suprise, mine being a new delivery has a different shift gate, not the all metal slotted type I test drove, but one with a leather gaiter very similar to the Golf GTI DSG. It has a slim alloy trip to the right side with the illuminated selections.

Anyone interested in a picture?

BMW steptronic use to have the Audi setup. Then when they changed model year on the 3 in 2001, they reversed it to have down to change up and up to change down - seemed more natural to me too.

miket

I've seen this in the sportback, and thought it would not get into the 3dr until it's facelifted later this year.

Eeef,

I might be a little dissapointed too, I prefer the classy 'open gate' look of the dsg surround.

IMHO of course.

Hmmm...

Just a thought, when I ordered the car I couldn't have aluminium door/dash/console trim unless I had a manual box. The dealer said this was becaue the DSG had the large alloy gate and this wouldn't fit with the aluminium trim for the centre console (or match visually), therefore you couldn't have any of it. (this doesn't apply to s-line 'brushed' alloy trim which is different to the 'medial' aluminium on all other models) We actually tried to order it but Audi AG confirmed it was not available.

But the DSG gate I have now is black leather and looks to have the same footprint as a manual stick&gaiter?

Might have a word with the dealer - whoever has access to the ETKA parts catalogues, can this be verified?

I'm hoping that as mine is a 3dr and an S-Line I won't get the 'new' look.
One of the main factors for me moving from VW to Audi was that I wanted the DSG box, but the shifter on the VW looked like a circa 1973 Ford Granada.

If this is a change mid production, they will only have changed the appearance and not the part of the centre console it fits into.

I'll point blank refuse to accept the car until they change it.

Pics would be good though please.

miket

I would question this with your dealer and try to get them to replace the trim at the original option price. They should be able to charge Audi UK, after all it's their foobah.

Let us know how you get on, if you do.

Cheers for the link, actually looks better than I thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Filthy interior though, tut, tut. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Get ready for 'well sir Audi do reserve the right to update it's product / model specification at any time' speech. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Hope it dosen't come to that and this is all a big mistake. Like most of us on here you have waited a long time for the car / spec you ordered.

the 4 that i test drove didn't... It's either sportback specific or a new addition. I think my cars in the country now, so i'll give the dealer a call.

Eeef, mines a 3door and its got the gaiter.

Hopefully with yours being in s-line trim it'll keep the alloy surround. let us know.

miket,

slightly off subject, does your car have the plastic paddles, or have these been changed to alloy ones now. Just wondered seeing as they have changed the gaitor surround.

Hello Eeef

Perhaps we could do a deal - I quite fancy the leather gaiter look. If you dealer can change it, tell him you know someone who would like the one they take off.

Thanks guys just come back from a fantastic weeks snowbaording in Italy and this has put a downer on my mood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hope my car doesn't come with the leather surround as the car I ordered had the chrome selector. Oh well need to drop off my plate papers tomorrow and my cars at the dealers so I'll take a butchers.

Are there any other changes?

J.

I went down to the dealers yesterday to drop off my plates papaerwork and asked to see my car. The sales guy asked why and I explained the differences with the gear shift surround and he didn't know what I was talking about.

Anyway unfortunatley my car was in the holding pound and not at the dealers so I didn't get to see it but I was told I would get a call when it make it up to the dealers and not to worry as they would sort out my grievences if they arrose.

J.

I had the same problem trying to explain to the dealer what I was talking about.

Audi Response:

Audi UK have come back to me (via dealers) and say my car was ordered correctly and built in line with the current spec 'at the time of build' and that Audi AG reserve the right to change parts in the course of product development. However, if I want it changed they will consider the cost at the time of application. (consider??)

Regarding the door / console ally trim which was not available with DSG when I ordered, they say this was correct at the time of ordering and they reserve the right to blah bla blah.... So if I want it fitting I should speak to a dealer for a retro fit price (no reduction)

Just as well I like the new gaiter then isn't it.

Looking at the gaitor it looks neater than the corrogated black plastic in the chrome one but I like the look of the chromoe surround if you know what I mean.

I'll reserve judgement til I see my car in the flesh so to speak!

J.

You have an advantage in that you haven't paid for it yet!

As long as you can look at it before you pay, i'm sure they'll sort anything out - when you're dangling £25K+ infront of them.

Mine came from a dealer 100miles away and they would only deliver it to me 24hrs AFTER my money had CLEARED with them.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.....

miket,

That's pants. They should, if indeed you really want the alu trim, at least cover the cost between retofit price and the original option price at point of order.

Japper,

I've tried to argue that, but they said that the spec / price at the time of ordering is final. If the factory change the spec / option availability during build then its tough do-do.

Yeah, Sorry for you mate. Strange that they'll consider giving you the chrome surround but won't cover the difference in price between factory fit and retrofit alu trim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm sure the dealer would have known of the changes in time to offer you the chance to get alu trim, but by then they had your order.

Hope you get something to sweeten this inconvenience.

Hah!

The salesman at the dealers says he knew nothing about the trim or option changes, the first he said he knew was when I phoned on 10th Feb and got him to look in the Jan 05 price guide.

The ally trim was a £68+VAT option. The Smith Knight Fay Audi parts dept just quoted me £552+VAT!!!!!!!! to retro fit the door and centre console trim!

Guess i'll get used to shiny black plastic.