8P1 Grill opinions

roston100

Reaction score
In an ideal world I would find and fit an 8P2 s-line front bumper, but at the moment they are either hard to come by or massively over priced so I am not looking to go down that route at the moment - however I would like to do something with the front of mine as it looks a little bland.

Couple of thoughts I had:
1 - Spray the grills (top and bottom) and alloy trim around the grill the same colour as the car
2 - Spray the grills (top and bottom), alloy trim and number plate section satin black

What do you think would look better?

Took inspiration from seeing this pic of Dec's car - looks like he has gone with option 1.
5663358413_c08a130f2d.jpg

Please leave your thoughts :)

Is your car black?

If so, no point doing the centre bit black. I really do not know why people do this to be honest as the twin grill can look awesome if wrapped in matt black vinyl.

I did this to my old A3 and recently did it to Stiggles black A3. Will last longer than paint and looks great!

I think you should just vinyl it as said or paint to match the car :)

3rd pic in my build thread is what I did until I could do the full conversion. Lasted well too

Smooth out the bits under the lights and number plate recess.. Then i will know what it looks like ;) haha

Ash B - the link to the pic wont work :-(

Boydie - that is stunning! Didnt realise that you could fit a MFSW to a 2004 model - read so many posts on here saying you couldnt! Did you wrap the chrome surround and badge as well or are they sprayed? Do you think i should wrap the number plate section on matt black as well or keep in its present colour (ebony black)

Thanks for replies folks!

Ash B - the link to the pic wont work :-(

Boydie - that is stunning! Didnt realise that you could fit a MFSW to a 2004 model - read so many posts on here saying you couldnt! Did you wrap the chrome surround and badge as well or are they sprayed? Do you think i should wrap the number plate section on matt black as well or keep in its present colour (ebony black)

Thanks for replies folks!

Try this onehttp://www.audi-sport.net/vb/members/ash-b/albums/sunny-days/229-01092009327/ or click and go on my profile and look in albums 2009. Andrew wrapped his grill:happy:

fate is against me! that link dont work either and on your profile there is no link to your albums :-(

Very interested in the wrap idea, though wouldnt wrapping the grill be extremely tricky?

Yeah it will fit but you need the control module as well as the slip ring.

I had a becker grand prix head unit so the multi function did not work but I did manage to program it via vagcom to light up!

I wrapped my grill in matt black vinyl and it was perfect for 2 years! Didn't have to replace it at all!

I personally would not bother vinyling between the grills - it is a 8P1 after all and not an 8P2/3!! Save that for a conversion or a newer model IMO.

I think, with the votex front lip, vinyl'd grill and lamin-x, the 8P1 can look very mean!

Option 1 for me. Think the picture you've given as an example looks great. Like Boydie said though, only if yours is black.

yeah mine is black. i was always thinking of going down the 8p2 conversion but tbh id rather just save the money and buy an 8p2/3 in a few years time!

Boydie - is it hard to do the grille ie something i should get a bodyshop to do?

mine are sprayed gloss black mate (twin grill also) i was tempted to do the number plate bit but liked the look of it as it was with just the grills painted , also leave your audi rings chrome might be too much black otherwise , just my 2p worth lol

yeah i will keep the rings silver but will spray the surround black. do you have any good shots of yours showing off the grill fran?

Fran is the whole wrapped/painted or it was only chrome bits ? I will be doing conversion at some point on my 8p1 but for now I will follow the black grill route.

Red A3 8P1 looks great with full black grille.

has anyone with a black 8p1 sprayed their grill to match the grey colour on the rear valance? Any thoughts on how they may look?

Ebay. Like £7 for 1x1m. Problem with vinyl is if you stretch it at the corners, it comes unstuck in the sun. I took mine off in the end as it was annoying me that it wasn't perfect.

DSC05578a.jpg

Going with brushed chrome currently which is my favourite yet.

DSC05791a.jpg

Ebay. Like £7 for 1x1m. Problem with vinyl is if you stretch it at the corners, it comes unstuck in the sun. I took mine off in the end as it was annoying me that it wasn't perfect.

Going with brushed chrome currently which is my favourite yet.

I really am stuck on which to use on my Dolphin Grey, love the black but also the brushed satin finish! Btw Tim did you use Clear Plastidip for the brushed finish?