AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Describe charcoal canister please

Car is an 05 2.0 tfsi Quattro s line. Had an emissions light coming on recently which my mate diagnosed as a vacuum leak using his vagcom. Anyway, took it to Audi for coilpack recall and they said the problem is the charcoal canister. I paid to have it replaced and to be fair it seems like the problems sorted as the light hasn't returned. Only thing is I don't think they have changed the canister. Is it a 100mm diameter black square box around the front left of the engine bay as that's what I thought was the canister but it looks like it's been there for years. I would expect a new one to be shiny. The bill also showed a hose and a couple of clips so I'm just thinking maybe it just needed a new hose and they have charged me for the canister anyway?
    Just want to be sure before I ring audi.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boycie

Status
    You are correct, that is the cannister. They may have replaced the internals but I am not sure of the make up of this part as I have never opened it!

Call me Dan :)

Status
    That sounds like the fuel filter that you've described mate, they normally replace internals.
    AudiA3 2.0TDI S-Line

Phantom Black | Leather Seats | Heated Seats | Black Optics | AMI | Badges Deletion | Rear Sunblind | Armrest | Darkened Glass | S3 Chrome Grill | H+R 10mm Spacers up Front | H+R 13mm Spacer at Rear | Mtec Cosmos Blue Bulbs | Cared for Paint Work |

6th Gear

Status
    Where is the fuel filter located on a TDI lump?
    Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

Call me Dan :)

Status
    Same place I believe. The Leon FR and Golf I had were diesels and the Leon Cupra I have now all have it in the same location.
    It was leaking on my Golf and they just replace the internals
    AudiA3 2.0TDI S-Line

Phantom Black | Leather Seats | Heated Seats | Black Optics | AMI | Badges Deletion | Rear Sunblind | Armrest | Darkened Glass | S3 Chrome Grill | H+R 10mm Spacers up Front | H+R 13mm Spacer at Rear | Mtec Cosmos Blue Bulbs | Cared for Paint Work |

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Same place I believe. The Leon FR and Golf I had were diesels and the Leon Cupra I have now all have it in the same location.
    It was leaking on my Golf and they just replace the internals
    Yeah but i don't know where the 'same place' is pal.

Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

4th Gear

Status
    the charcoal canister is a sealed unit.
    there is no way the dealer can open it and reseal it.
    it looks like they have just brushed away the cobwebs
    and left the spider if your canister still looks old.
    if the dealer charged you for a canister which i believe
    to be in the region of £84 without changing the canister
    you might want to go and have a word with them.
    then you need to have a word with them

4th Gear

Status
    it should look like the one on this link below.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Neutral

Status
    Ok so I went back to Audi. The workshop manager came out and showed me what had been done. He said the part they changed was a solenoid on the front middle of the engine. I think it's the evap thing, which was actually mentioned on my mates vagcom. At the time I said fair enough as light has not come back and other than an occasional flutter of the revs it seems to be fine (this was Saturday).
    Yesterday the light reappeared and the car now keeps spluttering when I accelerate, is this a misfire? It's as if when you put your foot down it stops and starts over and over again then suddenly becomes fine again. Any ideas? Audi guy did say that the occasional flutter could be down to needing new plugs but would that bring on a light?

Neutral

Status
    They have said that it is the carbon canister like they first thought and they will foot the bill for it but it may take a few days to order in. Fingers crossed it will be sorted.