Retrofitting AMI, is it possible?

ryanstewart9

Reaction score
If I have a 2010 or later RNS-e (Media button) fitted/retro-fitted is it possible to retrofit an AMI system and if so, how difficult would this be?

Tried doing a search on the subject but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm sure someone like Nigel will be able to tell me :superman:

Thanks....

Is the RNS-E 2G or 3G?

If it's 3G then yes. I have done it to mine. It's not too bad to fit, gotta make sure you code it...

I haven't taken the plunge and got the RNS-e yet Cruiser89, I'm just thinking if I get one I may as well do this as well at the same time if it's possible.

What's the difference between a 2G and 3G?

2G and 3G are terms from true mmi based systems found in B8 a4, a5 a6, a8 etc. There are two versions of the rns-e mk1 & mk2 the later mk2 unit was introduced around late 2009/2010. If you want AMI then you will need the later mk2 rns-e.

Ah, ok so if I go for a 2010 or later model RNS-e with the media button then that is a 3G model.

So what is involved in retrofitting the AMI to this model RNS-e?

The parts for a full AMI retrofit are very expensive, something I was considering before I saw the price.

Roughly between £700-£800, believe me I have asked installers.

Also if u don't have a CD changer in the glovebox, that another (almost) £300.

An other option u have for iOS devices (and works for mk1 &mk2 RNSE) is the Alpine KCE-425i, shows track info in the head unit screen, but u will need the video in motion hack or kufatec module to use this whilst driving. All in circa £350

The final option is a Denison Gateway module, which gives u track info on the little screen (DIS) between the clocks. Some models also come with a USB socket. Price is a bit cheaper than the Alpine.

You could obviously save a few £££ retrofitting yourself if u are competent with auto electrics, but I would think the AMI install needs a professional and needs to be coded in with VCDS.

I've resigned myself to using SD cards for music. Up to 4gb x 2(non SDHC) for the mk1 and up to 32gb x2 for the mk2.

Last edited:
Ouch!!

And as I have a Symphony II+ you're right I don't have the correct glovebox. I have the glovebox with the passenger airbag switch on the right hand side (a bit worrying as I've not seen it there in any other A3 )

RNS-E MK2 + 2x32gb SD cards.

I hear what your saying Adam, it's just all my music is loaded into iTunes, so it would just be easy to plug the iPod/iPhone in.

I guess I'll just have to have it all doubled up as mp3's for the sd cards. Unless the RNS-e can read music files from iTunes on the sd card?

Can you flick through the tracks/albums/artists with the SD cards as you can with the iPod connection, or is it just a list of tracks?

It's a proper structure.

You have a - z of artists then if you select an artist it displays all albums for that artist. Select a specific album and it lists all the songs on that album!

Pretty much an iPod interface tbh.

284375_10150266845318681_514638680_7577063_5675946_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to jump on this thread like this.....but...

Does anybody know if the "Alpine KCE-425i" works with the iphone 4 ? and would it be able to display album art work on the screen?

Sorry to jump on this thread like this.....but...

Does anybody know if the "Alpine KCE-425i" works with the iphone 4 ? and would it be able to display album art work on the screen?

MattAndrew has the KCE-425i in his S3, hooked up to a mk2 RNSE, at the last PVC meet he gave me a quick demo (cheers Matt) and plugged my iPhone 4 in, all worked ok, u can watch movies too if u have any on ur phone! Can't remember seeing album artwork but that could just be there was non for that particular track on my phone.

It does but its not as nice looking IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
If it does show the album artwork it's already sold to me .....:faint: But what is HU "wez350" ?

I've hust put a 2010 rns e with media button(193G) in to my 2007 A3 sportback whichis great but the standard ipod integration is just that!

I'd like to get the AMI kit and install it myself.

Has anyone replaced the existing basic ipod integration with the OEM AMI?

My airbag switch is in the middle so I was hoping the AMI will slot into it's place

thanks

Yes, as discussed if you have the useless ipod system in glovebox already, ami replaces that, but you need number of items to make it work.

I have the ami unit in my car and its a great bit of kit...

I have bought an AMI unit of Ebay, but I do not have the right glovebox to fit it in. Can someone tell me the part number for the glovebox i need in soul black or is it possible to fit a cd changer cutout in my glovebox and jigsaw a hole in the back. Any advise would be most welcome.
Thanks

I have AMI now thanks to Nige, its beyond epic, if anyone here wants it contact NHN, also, if you need a Mk2 RNS, I have one for sale.

Reactions: alex23 and Pauljamescaton
Does it show the album covers and can you play movies from your ipod through it

That's a shame, album artwork would the icing on the cake.

I bought a 160GB iPod classic years ago with the idea of getting the ripped movies to play thru to a RNS 510 in my R32 but never got around to it.

is anyone here using an iPod to play video thru to an Mk2 RNSe?

Then you'd need either a media adapter & tv tuner or an all in one unit tuner with outputs to the rns-e & if you want vim on a mk1 rns-e then need that firmware sorted out, mk2 I am awaiting an update from my supplier to know if mk2 vim is available.

Then you'd need either a media adapter & tv tuner or an all in one unit tuner with outputs to the rns-e & if you want vim on a mk1 rns-e then need that firmware sorted out, mk2 I am awaiting an update from my supplier to know if mk2 vim is available.

Thank you!

What is vim? It will be on a brand new rnse

Any recommendations on where to buy?

Thanks for your help!

Aha, brand new as in mk2 unit from audi?

Ahhh ok well that wont have vim, you'd of been better to not spec rns-e & do after delivery as cheaper.