Vinyl wrapped twin grill.

Jay88

Reaction score
After seen a post on the A4 section, i decided to wrap my twin grill in a matte black vinyl. Not as good as doing a front end conversion but will do me for the time been.

IMG_00501.jpg

IMG_00481-2.jpg

Reactions: AliceMiley and Paullie
that looks really good! is it easy to do? fancy putting together a guide?

Good job, it works really well.

Could have come out of the factory looking like that!

That looks class mate, gotta be a hell of a lot cheaper than a front end conversation, and looks just as good imo! Get some pics up of the whole car now ;)

Thanks for the reponses. Glad you like it, regarding the guide roston100 i did have photos in different stages of doing it, but my phone then decided it would restore itself to factory settings and lost everything!! I wouldnt say its difficult just a bit of patience required. I plan on doing a whole vehicle wrap soon in matte black so will be re-doing the grill again and can post up a guide.

I have a cupra splitter i bought from seat but it didnt look as good as it does on facelift models. I didnt like the way it doesnt quite line up with the bumper, so decided to leave it off.

thanks again

Jay, are you wrapping the car yourself? Now THAT will take time and effort :p

Ive been doing signage/vinyls for the past few years and worked with cast vinyl on vehicles. But yes it will take a lot of time and effort especially as its my own vehicle.

Understandably mate :) But It'll look spot on! Would you do the single grill conversion before wrapping?

I have a cupra splitter i bought from seat but it didnt look as good as it does on facelift models. I didnt like the way it doesnt quite line up with the bumper, so decided to leave it off.
i wouldnt say that i think it looks good here is mine with it on
09052011509.jpg

Hopefully it will, its jus trying to find the correct vinyl, if you look at the majority of vehicles with matte black vinyl on they have spots where the matte turns to gloss from bugs, sap from trees, bird pooh etc just trying to find a matte seal that doesnt effect the matte effect of the actual vinyl. I will keep the grill as it is for the moment as i dont think it looks to bad as it is.

Its only my opinion, i personally didnt think it suited mine. Great car though fran looks very clean.

Its only my opinion, i personally didnt think it suited mine. Great car though fran looks very clean.
yeah everybody has different opinion's mate be boring if we all liked the same things eh lol , cheers tho mate i do clean her alot lol

Anyone know where to get the wrap from? Anyone who has done it have a guide? Really interested in doing it!

Thank looks ace! how much does the vinyl cost? I'm well interested in getting mine done:)

All you need is a small breakaway blade knife
A heat gun (hairdrier will do but I used a paint stripper gun but be careful as it hits high temp quickly)
Warm weather
As smooth a paint surface as possible free from wax or sealants
A pin
A number plate surround (getting the vinyl into that area as part of the bumper piece of vinyl is difficult so hide the ends with the surround)
Patience - don't rush it or you will mess it up
Remove the grills and then remove the chrome surrounds to do the best job of it (some clips may break on removal as the plastic is brittle but will still go back on as long as there are some in each area)
One of these - Carbon Fibre & Vinyl Decal Squeegee Application Tool | eBay

....and 2 rolls of this - BLACK MATT VINYL SHEET 1000MM X 610MM SELF ADHESIVE | eBay

Reactions: A_Davison
Looks ****e to be honest. I would be ashamed to have that mess on my car. Do it properly or dont bother!

No need to be so abusive cmgreen. I am not a fan of it either but I didn't run my mouth.

Personally, I would have just kept the grills done in vinyl and left the centre.

No need at all for that attitude.

Lol, only saying wot u guys are thinking. ****e is a complement to be honest.

We can't all afford newer model cars like yourself.....just trying to stop the itch to look at a newer, more expensive car

Wow cmgreen talk about disrespectful! I plan on doing a full vehicle wrap as you may have read above, however im wondering what your views are on a matte black bonnet just for the mo? Has anyone done a matte black bonnet before?

No one needs cmgreens input when its so rude .if people did not buy older models there would be no Audis built...

Looks good pal nice work!
How did you remove the grills? literally just pull?

3 x torx screws on top grille then reach behind and push clips out. Bottom grille is easy then as all just push out

Last edited:
Wow cmgreen talk about disrespectful! I plan on doing a full vehicle wrap as you may have read above, however im wondering what your views are on a matte black bonnet just for the mo? Has anyone done a matte black bonnet before?

I wouldnt bother fella. When i bought my new bonnet it came in a matte black finish was a nightmare to keep clean. Couldnt wait to get it painted.
60796_10150270415410434_576040433_15164901_4298369_n.jpg

I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a votex front splitter I believe

Heard a lot about the votex products but I can never seem to find where to purchase them.. do you know of any links etc. ?

After seen a post on the A4 section, i decided to wrap my twin grill in a matte black vinyl. Not as good as doing a front end conversion but will do me for the time been.

IMG_00501.jpg

IMG_00481-2.jpg
Did you wrap each individual square on the grill or just the surround and bumper split?
Did you use satin or Matt finish?

Thanks