Bluetooth prep

paddy

Reaction score
Trying to set up the phone in the new car....OK so i switch on bluetooth on my phone it does a search and finds Audi xxx,Phone says enter pin.. ok.. the phone says connected...the rnse says connected dial number....ok so far..THEN as you start to enter the number on the rnse..the phone switches off... not on to stand by...completely off. Does it every time

Any thoughts ?? stamp on phone ?? buy another car ?? slit wrists ?? :lmfao:

Stamp on car,phone and then your wrists,hope this helps

It seems to be more to do with the phone. My HTC hated connecting to my bluetooth in my Leon, I had to get a piece of software that disabled everything else other then bluetooth for it to work, then there was an update and all is well :)

Unfortunately its totally imposable to update the software on a LG phone the instructions lead you round in a never ending circle of disconnect the battery, plug in to computer.......................Please disconnect the battery and re connect to computer, disconnect the usb lead plug in battery...Stamp on stupid phone. Buy new phone.

I assume that's to kick it into firmware mode :/
Oh well, it may cure it it, but an old Nokia of mine disconnecting itself while updating and was totally knackered, never messed with firmware again after that!

I think thats a list of phones for hands free fitments not just bluetooth ?

In that case the number of supported phones is minute, only one LG out of a range of 100+. I am not going to buy a special phone just to suit Audi's half hearted attempt at moving into the 21st century :) with a £35k car and severally limited blue tooth...crazy !!
Thanks for the heads up all the same .

Think you'll find it's the phone bud... It can't handle the prep. Best thing to is speak to the dealer and see if it's supported. You might be able to upgrade it to get a dock for it in the armrest.

Thanks Nige, i think the problem is i cant find LG drivers for windows 7, just XP. Also when it says speak o the DIS you can read her war and peace but she dosnt take any notice...typical woman. :)

Right...so now i have a nokia and the S3 recognises it :) i can scroll the phone book from the wheel and select a number that comes up on the dis......but the dis says "speak" ? If i connect to a number via the rnse which i can do, then how do i actually talk to someone ?? I have a mic in the roof light, do i need to press something as i talk ?
Tried ringing my answer phone at home and and left a message but there is nothing on there when i check up at home.....so how do i activate the mic or am i expecting too much ??

BUMP!
Does bluetooth mean i should be able to make calls using the mic in the roof light ? or is that just phone prep (high) ?

not sure if this helps paddy but i have the iphone 4 cradle fitted on my dash, it has a speaker button where if you hold it. It says "please speak a command"

Dial number
Please enter the number, Or dial phonebook allows me to dial from the phonebook which you have to enter by speaking into the microphone. I am yet to do this as automatically syncing my phonebook does not do anything for voice dialing. However when i do call people there names and number come up on the dis. Try and manually enter your phonebook in the RNS-E then find a voice command button.

I dont have an RNS-E but a concert system with bluetooth prep on the dash.

Cheers mate
I have everything hooked up and i get the voice commands like you by pushing the phone button on the steering wheel. DIS and rnse display my phone book......but if you speak the commands nothing happens, same when making a call. I get connected, i can here the people the other end but they cant hear me,

TBH Pad, if you've paired with the car, check the nokia shows the headset or audio icon for bluetooth in display or check under bluetooth settings what profile the audi uhv is using or what services it lists, as if you have BT fitted into your car from factory, the mic is automatic when you make/receive calls as in no need to activate it, just make a call & receive a call, assume when you make a call there is a mute speaker icon in the rns display at bottom by the clock?

The "speak a command" message would be the SDS fucntionality of the BT or RNS-E if you press the voice activated/PTT buton on your MFSW, dependent of rns-e installed if you have sds high or just sds BT.

Whats your rns & BT module coding Paddy?

I will charge the lap top up and have a look !:)

The Nokia shows the bluetooth icon and i know they are paired because i can scroll ther Nokia phone book in the Dis + Dis says connected. BT1
I get a number on the DIS
I press Dial, bottom right on RNSE
I get wringing tone
Answer phone picks up........and then i am stuck. Do i need the mic that plugs into the Nokia or can i use the Mic in the roof light. Tried the mike in roof light and nothing happens.
Mute speaker is active

Last edited:
OK so got a fault code now
1 Fault Found:
01523 - Microphone for Telephone (R38)
011 - Open Circuit​
Tried disconnecting the mic and wiping code after reconnecting and get same fault code. Double checked polarity on mic wiring as its an active unit but plug is keyed so cant go wrong

Maybe i will try to get a new mic.

Whats your rns & BT modules coding mate.

Dont know where to find the BT code but RNS short code is 0209725 rev0000012s if thats what you mean.

Well its coded ok for comfort & as you say you can use mic, but login to module 77 mate & check coding there.

TBH it definitely appears to have a loose connection or duff mic, assuming this was all factory fitted, I would either check wiring under passenger seat to see if you can buzz out the mic wires for continuity from the light assembly or take to audi as thats covered under warranty easily.

77 says 0011422 I also tried it on 0111422 because 01xxxxxx seems to be for phone prep low/high

77 is where i am getting the open circuit fault code.
as you say its a warranty job but i just wanted to check i wasnt doing anything silly first :)

Well you should have it set to High anyway, codings correct mate at 0011422 as setting it to 01xxxxx says its a Seat lol

Audi A3 (8P) Telephone Preparation - Ross-Tech Wiki

But thats not why you have the fault, it should work out of the box as such given its factory fitted.

If you get an itch to scratch as such, the wire goes down passenger A pillar from the roof light assembly, then down under the passenger seat, the wires are actually encased in a black sheathing for shielding purposes, which is always a pita for me to get to for SDS wiring lol

Cheers Nige, took it in today and they say the mic is shot so booked in next Friday for a new one :)...I was going to have a go myself till i noticed the mic is £80+...which is odd because i got one just like that on my hands free kit for £2 :lmfao:****** nuisance needing a warranty claim on the only bit of the car i have touched myself..ie: the roof light :)
Still no luck with the blasted guy with the illuminated BOSE things. He will not answer e mails and i have opened a dispute via paypal. now he says he sent them 3 weeks ago but i dont believe him because he has no tracking No. or proof of posting and he said he would e mail when he was about to despatch and he never did.
Good news is REVO is sorted and it runs beautifully Seems even smoother than before the map. Cant work out the SPS switch.....I am getting to old for all this .
Is SDS a real fag ? I would have thought once you could talk to the RNSE for the phone, giving the NAV instructions would not be that much more.

As for coding...I thought the first O was for Audi, not the second ie 0xxx not x0xxx so my mistake ( as usual ) :)...anyway i got some Seat badges for it now so it should be fine :)

Last edited:
SDS is only on the BT mate it would appear for your car, doesnt even touch the rns-e unless you spec this from day one, you'd need an sds rns-e & rewiring to make work, plus coding, happy to sort for you mate if ever interested, could do your Bose grills to if feeling to old :p :)

I went for the non sds on the rnse pad.. I don't really use the nav enough that I can't just pull over and enter the destination.. Plus I kinda like using the dial thing- it's about the only time I probably touch the dial.. The only other time I need the voice is for the phone and I've got that bit lol! :) and get Nigel to do the grills if that muppet from the website ever sorts it... Nige does such a good job :wub: easily and efficiently (and he provides you with intelligent conversation for the cheap price of a mug of tea!) .... I hate taking door cards off myself.. I always struggle to get them back on nicely without breaking something :banghead:

Like you say, fitting the grills would be a dodle if i could get the bloke to send them :) thanks for the offer Nige. I feel old because i seem to have to fight everyone to get a service these days...like getting these grills..or finding out how my new car got through a 150 point check without a scan for faults showing a phone prep fault....Or even getting the REVO map installed 3 times before they got the right one !!...You just have to keep smiling :) :)
Looking through ekta they only list one loom for the doors on MY11 as far as i can see so i am now wondering if the wiring is there for puddle lights etc anyway.

I don't think you're getting old, Pad..! I think that Audi should've picked up on something like this before the car got anywhere near the customer.. At the end of the day, it's not a second hand car bought for £500 and "sold as seen".. Things like this should not only be sorted out straight away, but they should go out oftheir way to make you feel compensated for the hassle, not just the bare minimum they seem to offer when something like this happens.. Boo Audi customer service:asskicking:
Did the revo map cause problems because your car is my11? AMD said something about having to check my car as they have issues with the new ecus or something!?

Yea they fitted the version 9 but once i told them what the problem was they immediately said i need V10 for the MY11 ECU and it was fine.l apparently it was a mistake by the agent who misread the software revision note. REVO are on top of the MY11 thing, works great..

(and he provides you with intelligent conversation for the cheap price of a mug of tea!) .... I hate taking door cards off myself.. I always struggle to get them back on nicely without breaking something :banghead:

Mug of tea, more like trough lol, the all I can say huggggge tea containers you kept bringing out left me peeing like one of your misses horses lmfao, good tea though & the sandwich capped it of exceedingly nicely Mr Kiplin :)

Yeah door cards can be a pita, but I think I have it down now ( I carry spare clips lmfao)

Like you say, fitting the grills would be a dodle if i could get the bloke to send them :) thanks for the offer Nige. I feel old because i seem to have to fight everyone to get a service these days...like getting these grills..or finding out how my new car got through a 150 point check without a scan for faults showing a phone prep fault....Or even getting the REVO map installed 3 times before they got the right one !!...You just have to keep smiling :) :)
Looking through ekta they only list one loom for the doors on MY11 as far as i can see so i am now wondering if the wiring is there for puddle lights etc anyway.

I know how you feel mate, its becoming an real pita to get anything achieved these days, customers want me to help them, but I also have to rely on a supply chain, when that breaks down it costs me vastly & also ****** of my customer.

Yeah I was gonna say mate how the hell did they miss that, you should ask them for some goodwill for wasting your time, seriously annoying when that happens & tbh how can revo agent not notice that, I mean come on really, poor show.

If the looms not present, then you're more than capable huh Pad :)

Things like this should not only be sorted out straight away, but they should go out oftheir way to make you feel compensated for the hassle, AMD said something about having to check my car as they have issues with the new ecus or something!?

Agreed, maybe a foc service when needed.

Yes there have been some protection systems added to newer ecu's iirc, I dont know the in/outs but I know of a problem which appears to have been circumvented now.

Last edited: