S3 owner drives 1.6LE(?) Sportback - my thoughts..

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
I got a courtesy car today as my car was in being serviced. I drove it for 40 mins so by no means is this comprehensive...but just my thoughts on 54Plate 1.6 LE Sportback compared to my 2001 S3. I realise an unfair comparision, so not starting a 8L v 8P thing here...

My likes....
Looks great from front - i'm loving the new grill.
Lots of room in the back
Nice to have doors to get in to back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
BMW hinged accelerator pedal - i miss this from my E30
Smooth gearbox - although S3's very weak competition
New Concert System sounds clearer and bassier up front.
Standard CD Changer in glove compartment - very nice.
Comfortable steering wheel - thumb indentations and thinner spokes make holding the wheel more comfortable.
When you flick indicate - you get 3 indications rather than just 1 (easy retro fit according to my dad but still nice thought as standard)
The dash colours look great. The White on Black nice.
My dad thought the seats were more comfy than recaros!! (i disagreed but i'm biased!)

My dislikes
car feels huge to drive in terms of hot hatch size cars i'm used to ..i can't imagine the new golf feels this big? I guess all cars are getting bigger....maybe i'm just not ready to grow up! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But i didn't enjoy that big car feeling that goes with driving an actual big car even my dads old Scorpio.
Very light steering - felt totally disconnected from wheels.
1.6 engine - why would anybody buy this. At 80mph felt like i was revving its head off. Its only approx 500more rpm in 5th than S3 in 6th (it was dead on 4k rpm at 80), but the refinement was terrible. I had actually requested a TDi as a courtesy car as i wanted to do that comparision.
The 1.6 does not accelerate even in comparison to my old 93L reg 1.4 Clio (although it does have F1 champions sticker mod) nevermind S3!
Didn't feel as stable in high cross winds
Rear speakers are useless. Fade the stereo to rear and its like stuffing cotton wool in your ears. Not that mine are much better. But i thought this could have been improved upon with the 8P

Overall i didn't like the car but i think it was because the engine was a huge let down (why does it have ESP for that gutless lump). A golf would have been better.
I'd love to get in a 3.2 DSG version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Now that i have typed all this i am now wondering - why have i bothered! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

1.6 engine - why would anybody buy this. At 80mph felt like i was revving its head off. Its only approx 500more rpm in 5th than S3 in 6th (it was dead on 4k rpm at 80), but the refinement was terrible. I had actually requested a TDi as a courtesy car as i wanted to do that comparision.

Overall i didn't like the car but i think it was because the engine was a huge let down (why does it have ESP for that gutless lump). A golf would have been better.
I'd love to get in a 3.2 DSG version /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that you were given the normal 1.6 (102ps) rather than FSi version (115ps). The FSi 1.6 is a fantastic engine and only really feels breathless around Motorway speeds. I very nearly bought a Sportback one a few weeks ago. But in the end plumped for an Ibiza Cupra TDi. I get the chance to drive Audis every day, so why buy one? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, and all Audis have ESP as standard, regardless of engine size, so theres the reason /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ah i didn't realise there were two engines. Indeed my keytag had SE (i wrongly remembered as LE in subject) And I thought the one i was driving was the FSi!!

So let me rephrase...why would anybody buy the 1.6 Mpi/Non FSi? Probalby because like me they weren't aware of the differences /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers

"Very light steering - felt totally disconnected from wheels"

This is one of the most common things mentioned in Audi tests and I agree.
Unless the roads are dry I simply do not like really really pushing my A4 as there is zero feel.
Different tyres help,but not much.
I'm hoping my A3 sportback's steering will be better than my A4's,but I'm not holding my breath.

I used to have an Alfa 156 which,compared with my Audi,had absolutely superb steering.
Terrific turn-in and loads of feel.

[ QUOTE ]
"Very light steering - felt totally disconnected from wheels"

This is one of the most common things mentioned in Audi tests and I agree.

I used to have an Alfa 156 which,compared with my Audi,had absolutely superb steering.
Terrific turn-in and loads of feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that when you were pushing it down the hard shoulder???

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif