LINKAGE GONE ON GEARBOX :'( Common Fault or bad choice????

weela89

Reaction score
Right,

Went camping last night with the lads for a few beers and fire. Came back to my car this morning, started the engine, gone to get off and can only access third and fourth gear, so I imagine the linkage has gone. It went the day after i bought the car so presume they did a botch job repairing it so went in ranting at them. New parts ordered needless to say.

Turned up at the garage cringing because ide had to get up a massive hill at traffic lights in third gear! Clutch smoking :(

I was just wondering whether this is a common fault or whether anyone else has had this problem.

Just a bit worried that ive bought a car and its going to be a nightmare for the rest of its days. Its a 57 plate audi a3 sline 2.0 tdi.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks a lot,

Matt

My old man just got an A3 from auction. In the paper work was a full breakdown of all the work that was done to the car by the lease company and at 75k miles the gearbox failed, 5th gear shredded and the box filled with filings it was replaced along with the clutch & dmf

If it was a linkage fault then I would be surprised you could get third & fourth.

Well from what i can guess its just the sideways links that have gone, so can only change up or down from neutral... ei 3rd and 4th.

New part ordered by garage so hopefully will be sorted tomorrow when they get the part in... Happy Days!