Re-map on a TDi : What MPG Difference Do You See ?

Yaks

Reaction score
Thinking of getting my 170 TDi Quattro re-mapped, and to help justify the cost to myself then I think the fuel economy improves, is that right ?

I'm doing about 18,000 miles pa, and currently averaging about 43mpg. If I were to get another, say 4mpg, then that would save me about 35 gallons a year, which is 160 litres, which at say £1.37 then about £220 per year.

Is an extra 4mpg reasonably, or more or less ?

Obviously I should tell the insurance about the re-map which will lose some of the savings, but over 2 or 3 or 4 years the cost of the re-map plus insurance should be covered if I get a few extra mpg.

Thoughts ?

check your insurance will cover a remap or you have to add cancellation fee,s into the costs.

Don't buy into the 'remap your car and you'll get extra economy' carry on because lets face it, you remap a car to make it go quicker and with that extra power comes a heavier right foot, you'll be using the extra power and soon forget about the extra 4mpg you're trying to gain mate, just enjoy the map.

Reactions: RedDejavu
some tips to get more MPG from Shell...
1. Drive smoothly

If you drive aggressively, you can burn up to a third more fuel than if you drive smoothly. Avoid accelerating or braking too hard and try to keep your steering as even as possible.

2. Use higher gears

When you drive in higher gear, you’ll use less fuel, so change up a gear whenever you can.

3. Keep the windows closed

Wind blowing through an open window can slow you down. And, to compensate, you’re likely to speed up. Instead of opening windows why not use your car’s internal ventilation system, just so long as this doesn’t make you feel drowsy.

4. Use cruise control
Using cruise control on major roads can help you maintain a constant speed and helps you make all those drops count.

5. Avoid excess idling
Stuck in a jam? Idling gets you nowhere, but still burns fuel. Turn the engine off when you’re in a queue until you need it.

6. Avoid over-revving

Change gear in good time when you pull away or when you’re accelerating. Never ‘redline’ the rev counter.

7. Avoid high speeds

The faster you go, the more wind resistance you’ll encounter and the more fuel your vehicle will consume just to maintain speed. Remember that according to the UK Department of Transport figures, at 70mph you could be using up to 30 per cent more fuel than at 50mph. So keep it slow.

8. Use air-conditioning sparingly

Sometimes it’s hard to avoid using your air-conditioning, but remember that it does put added strain on your engine on hot or cold days. And, it can increase your fuel consumption by up to 8%. On temperate days, you can always use your car’s internal ventilation system instead.

9. Avoid rush hour

If you can travel outside of peak times, you’ll spend less time stuck in traffic and use less fuel as a result.

10. Keep a constant speed

Instead of coasting when you reach a downward slope, maintain steady engine revs. This will help you to maintain a constant speed rather than picking up speed and is likely to have a positive effect on your fuel consumption.

Less if you boot it. More if you try to be economical.

In my old 170 I'd see 50+ on a steady 40 mile motorway drive to work but could easy see mid 30's if hammering it.

Thanks for the replies, my question obviously wasn't very clear, as I wasn't looking for tips on efficient driving, or thinking of getting the map in order to improve the fuel economy :laugh:

The last couple of petrol cars I've had mapped the economy has improved by a few mpg with no change to driving style, just wondering what people who have had a TDi re-mapped have experienced in real life, rather than manufacturer claims.

Don't buy into the 'remap your car and you'll get extra economy' carry on because lets face it, you remap a car to make it go quicker and with that extra power comes a heavier right foot, you'll be using the extra power and soon forget about the extra 4mpg you're trying to gain mate, just enjoy the map.

got 29mpg this morning flooring mine all the way to work:racer:

Reactions: bagey
I've had my 140 bkd remapped and I am seeing pretty much the same mpg as before, maybe a little better. However, I now notice the difference a lot more when I put higher octane fuels in the tank performance wise so anything gained on mpg is now used up on upgrading the fuel whilst filling up.

I also found with my remapped 170 that with cheap supermarket fuel the DPF light was on every few days. It was never on with BP/Shell fuel.