JOM coilovers fitted, knocking noise at front (pics) help!

Ive got this same problem with raceland ones but im unsure if the garage know what there doing

Just an little update to finish this thread off.

The issue was discovered when the JOMs were removed.

The fronts are designed to fit 50mm and 55mm strut size.

If like me you need the 55mm size, you have to fit the included alloy shims.

The shims would not hold the fronts in place no matter how tight, there should be notches to secure the shim but they weren't included in the design.

Here's the pics to show what was happening. Left any longer, could have been been dangerous!

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

Ah so the bottom of the shock has been rotating a few degrees at the pinch point, makes sense. Not many would have noticed i dont think, something for people to look out for.

This is the second time I have seen this posted. However, I cant really see how a knocking sound would come from that issue? There is surely not enough movement allowed in there to make a noise when just driving along, maybe when sat stationary and turning the wheel (the strut could slip round I guess) but even then? I would have though the springs touching coils is more likely, riding on the bump stops, or a worn bush?

I have a wierd single click/knock type noise at the moment when I pull away, almost like there is some play in something somewhere that moves when torque is applied through the chassis by the wheels. Does it when rolling to a stop and when starting from standing. I guess it could be this, but is just as likely a worn bush somewhere?

My issue was the garage had fitted them wrong but what are these alloy shims your on about you got a pic?

Ah so the bottom of the shock has been rotating a few degrees at the pinch point, makes sense. Not many would have noticed i dont think, something for people to look out for.

Not rotating, moving up and down going over bumps, hence the knock marks.

This is the second time I have seen this posted. However, I cant really see how a knocking sound would come from that issue? There is surely not enough movement allowed in there to make a noise when just driving along, maybe when sat stationary and turning the wheel (the strut could slip round I guess) but even then? I would have though the springs touching coils is more likely, riding on the bump stops, or a worn bush?

There was lots of movement, imagine the strut moving up and down when driving over bumps, as it comes to rest on the peg (with some force going by the pics), there is going to be the sound of metal on metal.

One side is worse than the other which ties in with the fact that while they were installed, one side was knocking worse than the other.

The strut wasn't slipping round (which was obvious when they taken off), it was moving up and down, hitting the metal peg in the pic.

There was lots of movement, imagine the strut moving up and down when driving over bumps, as it comes to rest on the peg (with some force going by the pics), there is going to be the sound of metal on metal.

One side is worse than the other which ties in with the fact that while they were installed, one side was knocking worse than the other.

The strut wasn't slipping round (which was obvious when they taken off), it was moving up and down, hitting the metal peg in the pic.

Ah, I see. Makes sense now.... and quite worrying!

My noise was actually to do with the door lock! Simply opening and closing the passenger door has cured it, weird as hell problem that seems to be intermittent!

My noise was actually to do with the door lock! Simply opening and closing the passenger door has cured it, weird as hell problem that seems to be intermittent!

That is bizarre!