New Cars Lost Loves

Simcha

Reaction score
New to this site. Starting reading after ordering my car back in early December. In build this week so hopefully should be able to register for the 1st March.

Whilst I am waiting and looking through the posts I had an idea, could we have posts on the cars we have loved and lost or at least sold? Few years ago I had a silver A3 1.8 Sport, one of the first in the country and I loved it! Kept it for 3 years and 100, 000 miles. Wonder if its still around?

Welcome Simcha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I have just sold my A3 1.8T Quattro and I was very sad to see it go. It was an excellent car. I'm not helped by the fact that a mate of mine has lent me a 1.6 Astra to use until my new one arrives on 1st March. Still I suppose I will appreciate the new one much more!

My biggest sadness at selling a car was my first car. A 1970 Triumph Herald 13/60 (the 60 denotes the BHP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) convertible. I bought it when I was 16 for £800. Did it up, ran it for 7 years and sold it for £3200 for the deposit for my house. Broke my heart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I still have VERY good memories of taking very impressed ladies from college out in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I had a black RX8 which I had to sell for financial reasons... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif loved it but had to go.

had a modified puma (IMHO the best handling car in it's class) that I had to sell when I moved house... as it was something I had tinkered with, it was almost "my creation" and so was very sorry to see it go... until a week later when I got the 3.2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

Peugeot 405 SRI (flimsy), Rover 213 (awful), Peugeot 205 XSI (nippy), Peugeout 306 dTurbo (smokey), Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo (awesome, dream car), BMW 320d (kids came along) .... waiting for A3 S/Back.

I don't really miss my first car which was a Rover 115SD. But I chopped it in at university for a big-bumper J-reg Golf Mk2 1.8GL (I really wanted a big bumper GTI but the insurance was a no-no hence getting a GL). It was gleaming tornado red and I spent ages ferreting around in scrapyards until eventually it was externally indistinguishable from a stock late 16v (which was what I really wanted) complete with all the correct lamps, plastic trim and alloys etc - I even fitted a new tailgate off a GTI to get the right spoiler and black foil edge....sad I know!

I adored that car - I had a weber fitted after which it fairly flew for a carb 1.8 and I got 70k out of it over 2 years at Uni driving all over Europe in my holidays.

I chopped it in at lawschool for a Mk3 GTI because with 120k on the clock by then it needed a thorough overhaul and I mistakenly thought I'd prefer to spend the cash getting a new car. I have regretted it ever since. I sold the Mk3 pretty quickly and had then another 4 Mk2 Golfs before getting the TQ 2yrs ago after finally getting a bit twitchy about doing long-distance high-speed driving in something with early-80's crash technology