Servicing and haldex question

Nezzy

Reaction score
Hey people. Just got off the phone to audi as my cars due its service.
Currently on 95k miles so they said the major was due as the last was at 75k miles.
They said this included oil, filter, plugs and haldex oil.
Now they quoted £730 for this (cars the 3.2 v6 DSG)
My questions are. Is the Haldex change a complex job and whats actually due on a service around the 100k mark?

Thanks, Jamie

Just to change haldex oil and filter, I was quoted £75 Inc vat and is only a quick job.
Bit of a guess but bet at 100k they would change dsg box oil as well

sounds like daylight robbery to me

dsg oil should be changed every 40k as far as im aware

If the timing chain is noisey they may try to talk you into that aswell if it hasnt already been done but hopefully not as its a big job on the 3.2

Last edited:
If the car has been serviced correctly and fully throughout its life then the Haldex AND DSG shouldve been serviced at 40k'ish, 80k'ish and the next will be due around 120k'ish. Haldex and DSG are obviously due every 40k... I'd be querying whther Haldex and DSG really need to be done providing the car has been fully serviced to date...

it has been confirmed by haldex that the gen2 units do not require oil and filter services.

I will try and find the letter

Not sure if it applys other units though

Last edited:
gen2 came in with the 8p I think 8L had the gen1 but i think its up to gen4 or 5 now.

I found this on VWvortex

I also contacted Haldex directly and spoke to Mats Johansson at Haldex North America per the Vortex MK5-R32 Forum!!

Per Mat Johansson and the 3 other VW Technicians I've spoken with, the Gen II Haldex used in the 2006 Passat 4Motion, 2007 AudiTT Quattro, and MKV R32 does not require the fluid and filter change at the 20K Service Intervals like the Generation I system. As a matter of fact, the Generation II system never gets a fluid or filter change.That's correct, Haldex states the Generartion II system is a "SEALED FOR LIFE UNIT THAT DOES NOT REQUIRE OIL AND FILTER CHANGES".

The reason they quoted the haldex/dsg oil is that when the previous owner serviced the car at 75k miles, I assumed it had be done.
On closer inspection, it hadn't so just making sure its done this time.
I certainly wont be taking it to Audi for the service as my friend is a fairly decent mechanic. Unforunately a BMW mechanic
but can certainly carry out the work required.
Was only asking about the haldex/DSG change as someone mentioned something to me previously about having to get a kit from Audi
to drain the old oil. Wasn't sure just how true this was.

Also. Does anyone have or know where I can aquire the details of whats involved in the 90/100k mile service as I wouldn't mind
getting a copy and giving it to my mate to carry out the work himself.

Thanks again, Jamie

There is quite a bit on here about Haldex servicing, there is a special wrench that Audi have to drain the Haldex oil. Not a kit as such, also needs to be done on a ramp or level service I believe.

On the S3 it's a 40k service item. Some people get their Haldex filters replaced at the same time which makes sense although the Service Manager at my local Audi garage told me that it doesn't need doing in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines. This kind of blends into insignificance though with whats been said above about the sealed unit.....