HID Problems??

Ports

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Recently put some 6000k HID's in my 1.9 tdi 8p, bit of a b*****d to get in at first, however when i turn power on they work brilliantly, but when i turn the engine on its like a disco and then they cut out??

Have i done something wrong or has anyone had similar problems?

Cheers
Adam

HID kits on A3s are a big no no. Look for similar threads where theyve blown the wiper motor!!!

Oh really? why that? i didnt know if the wiring was faulty or whether i just had put them in right?

Unless it's a special Can-bus kit specifically for the A3 then you'll start having expensive things going bang.
Definitely do a search on here, but not before you've unplugged them!

I think it's to do with the Can-bus wiring. As far as I understand it, there's a lot of commonly shared wiring compared to older cars. This saves weight and means everything is more controllable.
The problem is that there is a linked wire or wires somewhere that ends up blowing up the wiper motor. It's one of those things that people have tried to rectify using diodes, but it's extremely complicated when the motor blows they're not cheap to fix.

I've got a HID kit I've taken off my old MK4 Golf, but after researching on here, there's no way I'll be fitting it.

If you look at the LED Bulb Group Buy near the top of this forum section, the guy on there mentions a kit that is safe to use on the A3's.

I know it's not LED's you're looking for, but on one of the pages he gets asked for a HID kit that works for A3's and he's managed to source one.

HID lights need coded too as the car is expecting to supply the power for 55w bulbs not HIDs. As of next year cars with aftermarket HIDs are set to fail the MOT unless fitted to Department of Transport specification. (correct deffused lens, self leveling motors & headlight washers)

HID's likely won't pass an MOT anyway due to the beam pattern not displaying properly. My old Golf didn't pass with them, but know mates who's cars have done. Just depends I guess.

HID's likely won't pass an MOT anyway due to the beam pattern not displaying properly. My old Golf didn't pass with them, but know mates who's cars have done. Just depends I guess.

Mine always passed, but the light pattern on mine was really sharp. You could see 2 nice diagonal cut off lines in the road.
I tried them in my wifes old MK4 Fiesta and the light scatter was terrible. There wasn't really any sort of edge to the light at all.
At the moment they only test the beam pattern and height, but like Khufu says, next year sees the intro of the new MOT rules and then it will definitely fail.

take them out before they blow your wipers mate ive suffered from this in the past cost me well over £300 to fix too and i dont think its worth the risk for " canbus friendly ones " no hid's are going in my car apart from oem ones , way too many people have had this problem dont be another one

^^ Couldn't agree more.
I can't stretch to genuine ones at the moment, so I'm just going to upgrade the standard H7 halogens to something like Osram Nightbreaker plus.

Think of it this way - the cost of an aftermarket kit plus the cost of a wiper motor isn't far short of set of oem ones anyway.

exactly dan and if you do get the wipers fixed and you leave the aftermakret ones in its only a matter of time before it happens again , mine lasted for 6 months before they went bang and mine went tipically when it was ******* down with rain it was fun trying to drive home lol