A3 Sportback - 2.0TFSi or 3.2 V6

davoaj

Reaction score
Hello A3/S3 owners!

I’m a long time lurker and am currently car less whilst living overseas. I will soon be heading back to the UK though and, having been considering a switch to the darkside with an E90 3 series or even an E60 5 series, I now find myself with a VAG itch again.

I’m looking for something relatively practical, with a bit of poke and a nice interior, all of which I reckon the A3 Sportback, in one form or another will provide. I also want it to be quite understated following a bad experience in the UK with a Mk V GTi, not interested in attracting too much attention if you know what I mean.

So really just looking for some opinions. Natural inclination is to go for the 2.0 TFSi quattro with a manual box, which I understand was available up until 2008 when they switched it over to S Tronic only. I know the 2.0 TFSi well and I enjoyed it in the GTi as a daily driver, pretty quick and fairly economical – and I will definitely be remapping this one.

However, I keep being drawn back to the 3.2 V6 for some reason. What are peoples thoughts on the comparison between the two in the Sportback? My head tells me that the 2.0T is the better option, but my heart keeps thinking about that lovely V6!!

It will be our sole car for a while at least and will need to adjust itself to being a family wagon in the next few years, whilst keeping me happy with a decent drive, a few toys like the rns-e sat nav and a remap/exhaust. Added bonus is that prices on the used market seem to make the petrol sportbacks a bit of a steal.

What do you think guys?

Cheers

Al

Ha ha cheers mate!

Don't think I'd ever go quite so far (famous last words), but you've made a good point. The 2.0T just makes so much sense.

What would it take to get the 2.0T to standard S3 power? I'm thinking Stage 2, intercooler, exhaust???

Really liking the subtle look of an SB.

What would it take to get the 2.0T to standard S3 power? I'm thinking Stage 2, intercooler, exhaust???

K04 - Fuel Pump - TBE - Intake - Stage 3 Shark Map - 350bhp - Your ballin - :wub: - :laugh:

V6 - Turbo - 450bhp+ - Your ballin - :wub: - :laugh:

So true! I've got a fetish to own an R32 turbo for some reason :ninja:

You guys will cost me a lot of money!

Would probably not want to go beyond 270 ish, likely to be a family wagon eventually so wouldn't want to go over board on the mods.

GEt the V6 and you don't need to bother with the remap

(mainly coz there's no point!)

Remapped 2.0T is faster AND more economical then the V6, has a much more flexible power delivery and it handles better thanks to a much lighter front end. Also doesn't have the V6's weak-prone to failing camshaft drive chains, and I think cheaper road tax.
End of argument.

2.0TFSI - K04 - Fuel Pump - TBE - Intake - Stage 3 Shark Map - 350bhp - Your ballin - :wub: - :laugh:

if your doing that youll also need a clutch, suspension, brakes and engine internals

really stock 2.0T internals with up to 380-390 ft/lb fair enough, surprised though

If your doing that you might as well start with an S3.
True that. But when I bought a 2.0T sportback used S3s were still very expensive and the insurance was a fair bit more,2.0Ts depreciated a lot more which was good for me :) despite the money i've spent it's still worked out cheaper then buying an S3 SB.

If your doing that you might as well start with an S3.

thats the point i was hoping he would have got haha
though to be fair, my S3 is running 360 & 385 and ive upgraded the suspension, brakes & clutch as the oem set up cant cope with the power very well, least the internals are up to the job

Hi davoaj i have the 2.0t quattro gotta say i have not had the 3.2 all i can say is my 2.0t quattro is a mint car well happy with it quite good at stock wanting a remap just cant make my mind up which 1 to go for the problem with these cars is the sky the limit and im sick of thinking about it lol

cheers

lee

I miss having a ko4..:( If I had the choice again, I would've gone for the S3.. The ko3 sounds like a party whistle when it spools up

the problem with these cars is the sky the limit and im sick of thinking about it lol

"Don't say the sky is the limit. when theres foot prints on the Moon"

My favourite quote lol

"Don't say the sky is the limit. when theres foot prints on the Moon"

My favourite quote lol

Is the moon above the sky? I don't get it.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that a Sportback S3 (possibly S-tronic) is the way to go here. Not my first choice (3dr ftw) but a properly decent motor and little need for modding.

Spend time on here though and you'll be changing everything about whatever car you decide to get!

Hi davoaj i have the 2.0t quattro gotta say i have not had the 3.2 all i can say is my 2.0t quattro is a mint car well happy with it quite good at stock wanting a remap just cant make my mind up which 1 to go for the problem with these cars is the sky the limit and im sick of thinking about it lol

cheers

lee

I'm in the same boat right now mate... Just don't know which way to jump... Always used revo, but the big dogg n8 is quite persuasive with the shark argument......:think:

I have been raised to believe the Moon is in space, so from a standing on the ground looking up point of view I would imagine it is 'past' the sky so to speak?

It's just a saying I like thats all ;)

I'm in the same boat right now mate... Just don't know which way to jump... Always used revo, but the big dogg n8 is quite persuasive with the shark argument......:think:

aye my prob is i have shark performance about 10 miles and same for revo lol dint no weather to trial the revo i like the idea of the sps switch

You guys will cost me a lot of money!

Would probably not want to go beyond 270 ish, likely to be a family wagon eventually so wouldn't want to go over board on the mods.

My 2.0T Quattro is spot on. I get average of 32mpg and it gives the best of both worlds,fast when it wants to be, economical when your cruising along. I had mine mapped at the weekend and it now drives like it should of from the factory!!

My 2.0T Quattro is spot on. I get average of 32mpg and it gives the best of both worlds,fast when it wants to be, economical when your cruising along. I had mine mapped at the weekend and it now drives like it should of from the factory!!

did you get a very noticeable gain form the remap fella is it deffo worth it?? which map?

did you get a very noticeable gain form the remap fella is it deffo worth it?? which map?

Yeah very noticeable, better throttle response and more torque and power. Carbon Chip Tuning did the mapping. Highly recommended....

Thanks for all the comments guys. Just going back to my OP, I really want something that is a little more understated than an S3. Plus they're significantly more than an equivalent aged 2.0T at the moment and I don't want to spend that much on something that'll turn in to a family mobile after a couple of years and get hammered on depreciation to boot.

Something like audicruiser's would be the perfect solution - nice spec and quick enough for day to day with a remap but without the S3 image and initial costs.

Not too many in favour of the 3.2!! The 2.0T is certainly more versatile.

Cheers

I considered a 2.0T before I got my 2nd 3.2 but as I wanted quattro and dsg it was the only option in the price bracket. I love the flexibility of the big V6, it's so easy to drive around town with plenty of low down torque, but get it out on the open road and it's rapid. It also has more character than the 4 pot and contrary to what people think the fuel consumption is not that much worse.
You'll always get biased reviews though depending on what people drive and I would take more notice of people like Paddy and Hellz who have gone from a 3.2 to a 2.0T (although in S3 form). Ultimately though it comes down to personal choice and that can only be your decision, me personally I would consider the 2.0T a step down from the 3.2.

I have to agree with Ju. I lived with my 3.2 for 5 years and it was a very very good car. The V6 is streets ahead for day to day use, i would describe it as like an electric motor in its smoothness, instant power response and flexibility. It dosnt have that wham bam effect of the turbo engines but a good one is a lot more powerful than a 20T. As am overall package i think you will find the 3.2 is more user friendly option. against it is the fuel, it will only do 27 day to day and 32 on a run. My S3 will average 32mpg after about 5 miles where as the 3.2 didnt reach 30 for about 15 miles so on short journeys the turbo is a more economical engine.
The best advice i can give would be to try both, they are such different cars i suspect that a test would make your mind up pretty quick :)

if your doing that youll also need a clutch, suspension, brakes and engine internals

Yeh you 100% need clutch! I would do the other of course but there's Alot of tightwads on here :laugh:

but the big dogg n8 is quite persuasive with the shark argument......:think:

You stick with N8 - he won't let you down :wub:

Lol spending people's money again N8?

( I popped onto Sharks website last night lol ) :)

I concur with Paddy and Ju. Having owned a number of Audi's and in particular the S3 (2.0T although I guess not the engine you're considering exactly) and 3.2, I can vouch that the 3.2 is a cracking motor, especially mated to the DSG.

Often when considering cars we focus on statistics or measures... 0-60/engine weight/tuned stats often comes up when comparing these two engines in particular. However, theres something about the 3.2, maybe just in my eyes, that was a bit special and that is difficult to measure/quantify, maybe it was the engine noise, the smooth DSG, the combination of the whole package, its ability at one moment to be a docile lazy beast and the next a howling scorched rat... I dont know. It may sound like a hard sell but we had a 'relationship' :) but I'm willing to stress it wasnt all rosy...

The 2.0T S3 is clinical and effective at what it does; it is set up better than the 3.2 as well as being a lovely place to be and of course - its quick. Going from an engine with real character to the 2.0T is taking me time to appreciate - my S3 isnt mapped...yet (yes N8, I'm considering Shark :) ).

If you're looking to spend big bucks tuning the 2.0T then you may as well go S3. However, the 3.2 compared to even a mapped/uprated 2.0T (I'm assuming you're going 2.0T quattro) would likely win out for me.

We all look for different things in cars, as Pad says, drive them both and make your own mind up. I'd consider the outlay though of making the 2.0T as quick as the 3.2 but also consider the cost of a 2.0T standard vs a 3.2 standard - you'll likely find that the 3.2 is great value for money - if it really is pace and 'tunability' you're after then skip the 2.0T and go S3, you may regret it later :)

Last edited:
Maybe what we are trying to say is................

If i could have had a choice of a brand new S3 or a brand new 3.2 i would have been more excited about a new 3.2. The day i picked up the S3 the sadness of seeing the 3.2 go far out weighed the pleasure of having a brand new car. That said i can appreciate the + points of the S3 and i think Hellz would have settled down with his a bit quicker with DSG. Smaller turbo lumps is the future now and we will be taxed of the planet for CC's soon but after a week with an S3 i do miss my old 3.2 :(

I can't add anything about 2.0T (K03) versus 3.2, but I previously had a 2.0T quattro Sportback and have recently made the jump to an S3 Sportback.

I think the difference between the K03 to K04 2.0T is not to be underestimated and is probably just as different in character from a 2.0T to a 3.2. The bigger turbo'd K04 motor is a really different and quite a beast on full boost, whereas the K03 is more flexible and a bit more cultured in some senses.

As a package, it's very hard to fault the 2.0T quattro. I personally think that it's getting harder to shift 3.2s within the motor trade and in thw wider private sale market, so that's worth thinking about if you are relying on re-sale. Otherwise, I'd echo all the comments above about the 2.0T being a generally sound steer.

It's worth hanging about for a quattro if you can.

Cheers guys. I would definitely be going for quattro in the 2.0T and having had the Mk V GTi I have a good idea of what the KO3 turbo'd engine is like. I enjoyed and think it's a great all rounder for a daily car.

Something about the 3.2 just seem to lure me in though. Interesting to hear what Paddy and Hellz had to say about their experiences. I guess it will all come down to how I feel when I drive the two and also the task of finding good examples of both when I come to buy. Not too worried about the long term residuals given the prices I'm seeing 3.2's at on the used market, as I would plan to keep the car probably 5 years with it being a second car a couple of years down the line.

I've driven a couple of DSG'd cars in the past, Scirocco and Mk VI GTi in particualr but not for any great period of time. Would certainly be keen to try the 3.2 with the DSG