Emergency braking light flash

danb986

In awe of VCDS
Reaction score
I've enabled this using my VCDS, but I can't seem to get it to do anything.
The name it's given on VCDS is slightly misleading as it sort of sounds like it will flash the brake lights under emergency braking, but as far as I undertsand it should actually flash the hazards.

I've tried it in both the wet and the dry and violently stamped the brake pedal into the carpet, resulting in the ABS working overtime and the entire contents of the car bouncing off the dash. I've watched the hazard light switch and also the 2 indicator lights on the dash but nothing lights up. I thought that maybe it's flashing the indicators on the outside and not showing anything inside, but then I assume I would hear the flasher unit clicking away. :think:

Has anyone else got this enabled and working in theirs? I haven't tried it with anyone looking from behind the car, but I was wondering what other people are getting when they do it on theirs.

Works fine on mine. I've got 2 options in VCDS one for hazards and one for brake flash. Both work fine. In fact the hazards come on a bit too early, so I use the brake flash option.

Thanks Silky.
So it flashed the brake lights with brake flash enabled? Does anything in the car show you when it's working, or has someone behind you told you what happened?
I'm thinking maybe those options are for the facelift models only then. Were both options in the same controller on VCDS? I've got the latest version, but didn't see the 2 options. Although when I found one of them I didn't keep looking around to be honest.

I had to do an emergency stop a while bad when a Saxon thought it would be funny to come into my lane with no indicators on the M25... My hazards came on. Think it might be a facelift thing.

Yep, got my friend to follow me and check them working, he even did a video on his phone! Nothing shows in the car. (with the hazard option, it lights up the hazzard switch and the indictor dash lamps). Both options in 09 module, and are present in VCDS 10.6.2 onwards I think, just next to each other in the bits.

Hmm. Under 09 Cent Elec - Byte 17, the only thing that looks anything like this is Bit 0 - Emergency Brake Flash Light Active.
Is this the one for the brake lights or the hazards? I've got it enabled but the hazards don't flash when I hit the brakes very hard so is it for the brake light flash then?
Silky, can you remember if the hazard flash one is in a different controller, or should it be here?

Deffo both in 09, think it was Byte 16 & 17. Bit 0 - Emergency Brake Flash Light Active is the one for brake light flashing...

I love the hazard flash.. I think it only works over a certain speed or in a certain gear tho? Didn't work when the badgernator leapt out in front of me though.....

It must be different on the facelifts, although I thought the option would still be there in VCDS but it just wouldn't work properly.

On mine Byte 17 has the Emergency Brake Flash Active and few other Bits like DRL via fogs and some other lighting functions, but the ones either side of it don't have anything useful. Byte 16 is 'Backup Function: front fog lights as low beam headlight'. Byte 18 is just all the cold diagnosis options for bulb checks.

I love the hazard flash.. I think it only works over a certain speed or in a certain gear tho? Didn't work when the badgernator leapt out in front of me though.....

Yeah, and you can't rely on them to duck either!
Do you mean you have to be going quite fast for it to work? Mine's a manual, so I don't think it'll know what gear I'm in.
TBH I've only tried it at around 30mph.

What was damaged in the end, was it the propshaft?

Hazard flash works in all gears and at any speed above ~40mph. That’s my findings anyway. I don’t like it as when your pushing on through the twistys, you get it coming on when braking hard into corners! It can be quite off putting I think!

Yeah, and you can't rely on them to duck either!
Do you mean you have to be going quite fast for it to work? Mine's a manual, so I don't think it'll know what gear I'm in.
TBH I've only tried it at around 30mph.

What was damaged in the end, was it the propshaft?
Hmm .. Don't know yet.. It's been taken away on a trailer:sob: and I have a pony vauxhall astra diesel (2011) as a courtesy car.. The build quality really is abysmal.. I won't know til Monday, but it looks like it's gonna be either prop or diff, either way it's an insurance claim...

I've also Enabled this the other day on my car....But I tried it out when my car was stationary ...:unsure:

Now That I have read this thread ...I have more Knowledge to test this out properly...

I have also updated my CE module to an K ...(Which Has the Most Bytes in the Module)..so Hopefully this will work ....as my car is a 2003.

Did you find the 2 different Bytes, one for the hazards flash and one for the brake flash when you enabled yours?
I see you've had the facelift done on yours, so is the K module from the facelifted models?

Did you find the 2 different Bytes, one for the hazards flash and one for the brake flash when you enabled yours?
I see you've had the facelift done on yours, so is the K module from the facelifted models?

I think I've only seen the brake flash option ....but need to double check....No the K module is not from the new face-lifted models ...they use a different module with less bytes.