audi a3 3.2 air mass meter faults

kaloyan

Reaction score
audi a3 3.2 air mass meter faults
Hi there! i have problem whit my a3 3.2!the car just died for the first time one mounts ago and it shows it is a air flow meter no other faults!when it is die it does not want to keep the revs any more !after cleaning the faults car is perfect until next time 5 times so far!i replace the air flow meter but nothing has change cos the fault coming again after time !i been to audi and they set first step will be to clean earth points and they charge me for doing that £228 after 3 days car died again!i left the car again to audi and they set step 2 will be to change throttle body seal and injector seal on total cost off £700 and again not shore is something going to change!i asked them what the next step will be if this is not going to work and they did not give me any answer !If any body had the same problem pleas reply and sorry for my poor english!thanks Kaloyan!

I am sure your English is better than our attempts at your native language :)

Do you have the fault codes. ??

i will get them monday from audi!it says air flow mass meter low signal !thanks for your replay !

All that money and the fault still remains ?

I would be asking for my money back!

I'd also check the wiring to the air mass flow meter, I'm sure I read somewhere that somebody had a fault with the multiplug. To Be Honest, I dont think a faulty air flow meter would stop the car holding the revs.

Its old news here but i had a problem with a 3.2 and they started changing parts 1 at a time and the bill went up to £3000 before they found the fault.
Audi do not employ mechanics , just fitters so you need to find a good independent mechanic.

audi must have record from same or similar case and they have to know what is causing the problem! is there somebody whit the same problem pleas reply !

i change the standard air filter whit k&n which was only a few pound more !i did opened it today it is look fine !

i also disconnect airflow meter sensor and then start the engine and revs drop off and engine died!then i plug sensor back and it was ok !as far as i red the forum car must work even whit no mass meter plug ?and audi set my new mass meter is ok the other day!

I would change it back to the standard air filter mate as i suspect this is your concern. See how you get on! Is the k&n filter an oil based filter do you Know? If it is you may have to replace the air mass meter again, but i would say the K&N is the root of your issues mate!!

i changed the standard filter whit basic k&N one year ago !if that help!

thanks Dave! k&n filter is the same as the standard just red color !but i was thinking the same it may be the issue !

K&N = oiled filter and as this is very close to your MAF there is the danger it is coating your MAF in a fine film of oil which upsets the readings. The OEM filter changed when needed does the job 100% or lets face it, Audi would adopt the K&N method.

Reactions: paddy
i will let you know Dave !the thing is at the moment car has no fault stored and running the same as new as always,until next time car dies and vagcom shows air flow meter low signal!

The MAF wont report an error unless its out of normal range, its assuming whatever the values its getting are correct. Its the intermitent dying thats odd.

Thanks for reply Khufu!yes car is just died whit no lights coming up before that !the first time the car died it was one day after after computer fault cleared car was driving good for 2 weeks then again my mechanic cleared the fault then it was one week then i change the air flow meter then he cleared computer then car died again and i decided to lived whit audi then audi set we have info recommended from audi your earth points need to be cleaned and i set ok ! then car died again after 3 days now they want to change seals on injectors and throttle body but i can do that !

I hate to think of the problems caused by people's insistence of using oiled filters. I agree with Khufu the fact that it seems to randomly kill the motor is the key to this. I think his idea of a bad connection sounds like a good starting place but i can only guess :)

thanks Paddy!I'm trying to figured out why audi want to change those seals what they can change situation?

Well my guess is they think you have an air leak but it would either leak..or not, all the time, where as your problem seems random , like something is sticking

i went to test drive this morning and everything looks fine !i turn engine off disconnect maf sensor and started engine on and it did not kept the revs !i did put maf sensor on again it was fine !and as far as i know car must run even whit no maf sensor plugged !I'm trying to think what is the problem based on the info you mates gave so far !first if K&n oil based filter make problem to the maf this will make car not running properly taking wrong signal!but after ecu fault cleared car running as new for time until engine cut again!if it is a bad connection earth points or what so ever ecu will get wrong signal earth point cleaned from audi !

I dont understand why clearing a fault code from the ECU makes the problem go away ? Next time you have the problem, keep the engine running and try unplugging the MAF and plugging it back in again just to see what happens

Sorry to hi jack but as you are talking about Maf sensors,

When I disconnect mine on the S3 nothing happens, the engine just carries on ticking over exactly the same, car starts and everything as normal.

Only difference is eventually the engine light comes on the dash but thats it, could mine be nakerd or is that normal on an S3?

If it was knacked sock you would have fault codes all over the place as everything else tried to compensate !!

Ah cheers bud,

Just worried a bit as on both my Mondeos when you discconected the maf the engine stuttered a bit and the light came straight on, but on the S3 it was like you hadn't done anything

Cheers

hi Paddy!i been to audi today and they ones again want to change seals on my car !mass air flow sensor signal too low code-16486 p0102 002!what i'm thinking to do is change k&n air filter to standard change air mass meter ones again and wait until car stop again :(

my mass meter is fine no lost power!car is fine no fault code stored! until next time is going to die and what can cause the problem nobody knows!