Satnav

Dannyhall

Reaction score
I have the audi 1.6 SE 54 plate, and it has came with the standard concert radio dual cotrol etc, i want to fit a satnav or a pioneer fitted radio in but it looks double the size, what happends to the dash during fitting and what space will i lose out on?

I have the audi 1.6 SE 54 plate, and it has came with the standard concert radio dual cotrol etc, i want to fit a satnav or a pioneer fitted radio in but it looks double the size, what happends to the dash during fitting and what space will i lose out on?

You would need to fit a double din cage in to accommodate the new double din head units, the heater control would need to move down.
here is a decent guide on how to do it, it looks more involved and complicated then what it is.

You want 2010 RNS
hmmm... they are ok but not the best... just look nice in the dash but for the price its not worth it! :moa:

here is my install:

9556b36a.jpg

f79ef1f8.jpg

DSCN2152.jpg

crappy night time phone shot :
7a54a2e6.jpg

Hello Dan, to achieve this, you need to do a double din conversion. There are quite a few threads available that explain this. Basically, you need a whole new cage new blank buttons, hazard switch, esp switch, card tray ect..Also your climate control unit needs to be changed for a new one(£450), or you could modify your old one to fit as this will be slightly smaller as this drops down further. It is not an easy process but can be done.
I done a conversion for a bloke the other week, took a good few hours to do. PM me your email, and i can send you a link for the conversion. Alternatively, there are a few people who will do it for you at a price including the parts, ie myself (London) or NHN he travels around.
Once this is all done, it is just a matter of getting your rns-e unit and installing and coding it with vcds. Again we can do this. You will also need an rns-e adaption harness and diversity adapter.
All in all, the total cost including double din conversion your rns-e (you can pick up a good one on fleebay for about £450-500 2010 model) will be around £700 if you do it yourself (£1,150 if you buy a new climate control unit).

Hope this helps mate
Hope this helps.

you know if the OEM RNSE did everything the aftermarket ones could then i would back it as bad as you :p

but unfortunately Audi seem to want to develop their LED lights more than their entertainment systems so we find ourself in this situation... its sad how they see the A3 as a model not worth investing some of the good stuff into...
was checking out the new A6 and A8 at the dealers the other day... oh how lovely they are!

Yes, AMI lets you plug in the fancy extras like bluetooth streaming and ipod. also controls the ipod very well with full menus. Saw it on a friends 2010 A4... works nicely but again its an expensive upgrade

yh you can strem music from mobiles over bluetooth with a special adapter... of course i can do this anyway on my 'Aftermarket' Pioneer system.
Sd card slots sound good, Especially at 32GB! :anbet: but ipod playlists and artist/album search features are so much more convenient

I don't like the way iTunes organises music though. SD cards and folders are perfect for me bro! Whatever floats your boat as they say.

Reactions: Ash187
Thanks for all the replies, basically i'm a big interior guy and just want to make it look abit more pretty, i think the standard concert looks terrible, really basic with no chrome trim etc, i don't know what other options there is, i hate the way branded radios stick out from the interior so i would want everything fitting proffessionaly, it sounds fussy but if you're paying alot, you want things doing well! Also contemplating the mod for the ashtray dock, any suggestions? What about the newish radio/cd i've been seeing in the 08+ models where the screens a little bigger?