To Remap or to sell?

karbonk

Living a little!
Reaction score
... thats the question.

In two minds of selling the car (04 2.0 TDI) and getting something a little more fun for the Twisties. The Clio Cup 197 would be the replacement. However I really do hate the plastic crap you get on the inside of a French car in General. I would be parting with the RNSE, BOSE, 6 CD Stacker, German build/ Quality and the more executive drive.

However... As it's only a daily driver and I have a track car anyway would a remap change my mind of selling to keep me a little more entertained for a while longer? Or should I just be grateful for what I've got!? ;)

AmD Surrey would be preference for a Remap.

What's your take on it?

Last edited:
I would keep the audi and do the remap. I have a 140 tdi recently had it mapped by shark performance at GTI international and what a differance it has made. I can't quite believe how quickly it accelerates in the mid range now, it's almost like driving a different car will definatly keep me interested in it for a little while. I don't think I could go back to cheap french crap after owning something as well built as an audi.

Don't do it. Get a remap and keep the Audi.

I had a Leon 170 that was mapped. Unfortunately a woman in a X5 put an end to that so I ordered a Clio 200. It was shat. I kept it 4 weeks before putting it up for sale and I'm now waiting on my Black Edition TDI arriving.

The novelty wore off after a few weeks.

Jeez.. How easily persuaded am I !! Thanks for the input chaps. You may have saved me from making a bit mistake.
I have even thought of upgrading to a newer model A3 to avoid going the route of the very tempting French rubbish, giving me a change.

Is the remap of the 140 that dramatic? Does anything else need upgrading, such as filter or RV? AmD claim to bring it to: 190 bhp/300 ftlbs. Is this really realistic and what sort of changes are made in terms of noise?

Last edited:
Go for the remap and if you can afford it go for a straight through exhaust to get shut of the particle filter,this will improve spooling time,give you some nice turbo noises and also help aid the life of the turbo as it can get shut of the warm gasses quicker so the heat not hanging around the turbo any longer than it needs to,also depends on the milage and the map plus your driving how the clutch will cope

Go for the remap and if you can afford it go for a straight through exhaust to get shut of the particle filter,this will improve spooling time,give you some nice turbo noises and also help aid the life of the turbo as it can get shut of the warm gasses quicker so the heat not hanging around the turbo any longer than it needs to,also depends on the milage and the map plus your driving how the clutch will cope

Thanks. I really am not planning to do any mods to this car as I know it's a slippery slope, hence why I thought I'd just jump in a Clio Cup. Has got it all except the obvious. Handling was my biggest persuasion with the 197 Cup.

This is my daily driver/ work horse and I although I look after it extremely well, im sad to say it gets the attention last. So a remap really is as far as it goes here.

Turbo is new, head was done around 10k ago, clutch is prob due and that is the concern I have. It will probably find a weekness. Cars done 80k.

P.s nice looking car is Sig, looks like mine cloned! ;)

Last edited:
I would leave the cat in place if i were you. The poor turbo don't stand a chance even on stock cars and have high failure rate. Also the clutch will complain the first time you'll boot the car in a low gear.

the main thing that would put me off the clio is the rock hard suspension i mean the audi's isnt exactly a rolls royce after all in standard form but compaired to the renualt it is a dam sight better keep your audi and get it mapped

I would leave the cat in place if i were you. The poor turbo don't stand a chance even on stock cars and have high failure rate. Also the clutch will complain the first time you'll boot the car in a low gear.

Agreed mate but i know alot of people get the cars mapped,give it a good thrashing and dont bother with warm up or cool down period baking the oil in place where ever it stopped circulating,for how much it is for a diesel exhuast with no cat to worry about its a mod i would always do on a diesel to displace the heat quicker,i had the gttdi 150 golf mapped with giac and it was a lot better to drive aswell as the helping prolongue the turbo as much as i could,the clutches arent as much of a problem as long as its not already slipping and aslong as the driver doesnt start getting lazy with gear changes because they have the extra torque(which often happens)

If you already have a track day car, there isn't really much point compromising your daily driver for a bit more twisty fun, is there? Clio's are great fun, but they're horribly bare inside. Nice seats though, if you get one with the Recaros.

I owned a Clio 197 (and all the hot Clios since the 16-Valve) before getting an A3 2.0T quattro Sportback.

There's no question that the 197 is one of the most talented hot hatchbacks ever - and it's in completely another league to the A3 in terms of handling and driving experience. I'd also say that it's probably more accomplished as a pure hot hatch than my current S3. You wouldn't buy one for the interior - although it's not bad and you need to remember that it's based on a base car that's in another market segment from the A3.

The A3 is a different sort of ownership experience too, especially the TDI's. If you value good quality and stylish wheels - then the A3 caters very well. If you want something special, then you need a 197 (or an S3!). :)

Have a read of my 197 review here: Basil Hume's Renault  Clio Renaultsport 197   (2007)

Map is a must. Plus Ben I had a mk2 172 and my cousin had a 197 and the 197 was AWFUL in comparison in every way.

Last edited:

Cheers Ben, only just seen this part of your post and a very good review. Im still very much undecided! What do you prefer as a daily looking back?
I dont want to regret selling the Audi as I know the car is very sound, no expense has been spared over the past 2 years with - new turbo, head, services/ upkeep, facelift change, £1000 tyres/ wheels etc..

Not sure how I part my Bose System/ 6 CD/ RNSE - Sat Nav

Your thinking of selling the A3 for a 197? Are you off your head?

My thinking?

Seriosuly......don't. The novelty will wear off after an hour and you'll cry yourself to sleep. I used to dread going to work as I had to drive it.

5381934986_41da902044_b.jpg

Cheers Ben, only just seen this part of your post and a very good review. Im still very much undecided! What do you prefer as a daily looking back?
I dont want to regret selling the Audi as I know the car is very sound, no expense has been spared over the past 2 years with - new turbo, head, services/ upkeep, facelift change, £1000 tyres/ wheels etc..

Not sure how I part my Bose System/ 6 CD/ RNSE - Sat Nav

It really depends on what you want. The 197 and A3 2.0T quattro were very different machines - I'd take my old 197 for a blast any day over my old A3, but the A3 was considerably more "grown up".

Most 197s don't come with that hideous aftermarket spoiler and straight tailpipe fittings (as standard, they have no rear spolier and the exhaust tips are recessesed slash cuts).

For what it's worth: I think going from an A3 TDI to a 197 would perk up your driving life, but you might have to change your mindset. It's a bit like going from the embrace of a trusty wife to that of a maiden mistress. You might miss the comforts and practicalities, but be rewarded with more obvious thrills if you can put the energy in and keep it up! I also think that you might miss the tunability of a VAG product, which gives you endless possibilities for upgrades / facelifts etc.

An S3 is the obvious compromise. :)

I suppose it all depends what you want Ben. But as I said my cousin had a 197 and I thought it was awful in every department, I don't get how your rating it so highly, the powerband was awful and it was so sluggish

I suppose it all depends what you want Ben. But as I said my cousin had a 197 and I thought it was awful in every department, I don't get how your rating it so highly, the powerband was awful and it was so sluggish

The Audi "thing" has high torque, low revs, grip, indifferent handling and excellent tactile quality at its heart.

The Renaultsport "thing" is pretty much the opposite. I used to quite dislike Audis, but I've really come around to them because all the above are things I now value or don't care so much about!

The Clio 197 is an Autocar 4.5 star car (full road test), which is about as good as it gets as a driving proposition. It's nowhere near as attractive to own as an everyday car as an A3 and I guess that some people will never get on with them, but the Clio 197 / 200 really is the best of that particular type of car - which you can't say about a whole bunch of alternatives.

I'm not really interested in the autocar ratings - I'm interested in my own experience of driving one. It was a big let down after the 172 (which I owned for 18 months)

You go forwards in life, not backwards.

Dont think the 197 has reverse ?

Listen carefully.....................Its a French Car.........IT WILL BREAK DOWN....

As for maps ?? Had mine mapped Monday...its back in the Garage today.....Speaks volumes. :)

Course i am not serious...all cars have reverse :)

Yea, not a happy bunny mate ....