Quick question on tyres

JNP

Reaction score
I recently bought some genuine 18" ET43 rs4 style alloys that have tyres on them.

The tyres are in pretty good nick so ideally i want to keep them on there but the only issue i can see with them is that they are 235/40/18's?

I am driving an 04 a3 sport on standard sport springs, will having 235's be an issue??

Just an update on this, I fitted the wheels as above and the stance looks great. The only issue I have is if the car is heavily laden and I go over a relatively severe bump or dip in the road I get a slight rubbing noise from the rear drivers side arch??

Do you think if I had 225 tyres on there this would stop happening or is this something you always experience when you have a wider offset like ET43?

Thanks guys

235/40/18's are likely to make your speedo reading slightly out (don't know which way). 225's should stop the rubbing.

I'm running 235/35/19 with Et45 and I get very slight rubbing with all seats taken.

If the diameter of the wheel and tyre is increased (which it would be if you fitted tyres that are wider, but have the same profile) then you would be travelling faster than your speedo shows. Only very fractionally though, as the 40 profile on a 235 will only be slightly bigger than the 40 profile on a 225 tyre.

Thanks guys, I guess I will wait till the tread is low and replace them to some 225's then.

I have 235 on the rear and 225 on the front,

i am on standard sport springs too with no rubbing.

Mine looks quite high to be honest and would like it lowered soon.
considering getting S-line springs.

fc3bc02c.jpg