Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FBMFSW

Foxy

Status

FBMFSW

Hi all Im thinking of getting a flat bottom steering wheel for my a3, Ive seen an rs6 one and it has the dsg paddles, can these be removed without any other wiring mods required and will the wheel fit my 2006 a3 manual without mods to the car?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    It depends on which steering ecu and slipring is fitted to your car. If your car currently has a multifunction steering wheel then i think you are good to go, otherwise you may be looking at new steering ecu, slipring and some coding aswell to get it working properly.

I'm not sure about removing the DSG paddles though sorry mate
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Boycie

Status
    There is no need to remove the DSG paddles - I bought mine with the paddles and there are no problems at all.

Fossie

Status
    Presumably you mean wheel and airbag ? The fbmfsw airbag is different from a standard mfsw airbag !

Foxy

Status
    Yes have wheel and airbag mate, so presumably u can swap it over and it will be fine just with paddles that do nothing
    P.s.already have mfsw

Fossie

Status
    Should be ok then providing the wiring harness plugs fit the steering control module.

Foxy

Status
    I hope so, thinking of getting it re - trimmed to cover paddle holes

Foxy

Status
    Got my steering wheel today and I love the look of it, however the blanking caps for the airbag screws on the back of the wheel are missing, how can I get a replacement set? Its a 2009 RS6 FBMFSW.

Fossie

Status
    The blanking caps are not available from Audi. They only come with the wheel. It is the same with all wheels.

The only thing you can do is ask the seller for them or see if you can find a scrappy.

Or buy another !!!lol

Foxy

Status
    May be selling the wheel then

Foxy

Status
    I have looked at my current wheel and the blanks have a part number on them, can anyone with an rs6 wheel see what numbers are on theirs please.

Fossie

Status
    Sorry Foxy - just to make myself clear - the blanks have part numbers on them but if you consult ETKA (the VAG electronic parts program ) I think you will find that it says something like ' not replaceable part '.

Basically they are not sold separately. If they were then I would have bought some for mine !

Foxy

Status
    What did you do about yours

Fossie

Status
    Mine wasn't a fb wheel just a mfsw.

I waited until I found another and then checked it had the 'bits'.

I still have the wheel without the 'bits' !!

Foxy

Status
    Wished I'd checked now, I'll put it down to experience can't afford to buy another. Will have to sell unless the seller finds them. Thanks for info mike.

Fossie

Status
    You're welcome - I just hope the guy finds them. I can't really understand how you can lose them because the obvious thing to do (to me anyway) is clip them back in after removal !

Foxy

Status
    Tell me about it I would clip them in too, ain't holding my breath on getting them.

Foxy

Status
    Ok Ive decided anyone who wants a mint condition 2009 RS6 FBMFSW (dsg) and airbag but no screw blanks pm me an offer. No silly offers please.

Reverse Gear

Status
    How about selling just the airbag?

will it fit an S3 FBMSW

Neutral

Status

mfsw gromets

Just use the caps of your other steering wheel, that is what i did

Fossie

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz4410 View Post
    Just use the caps of your other steering wheel, that is what i did
    I think he might have tried that don't you ?

They are all different - ordinary wheel, mfsw, fbmfsw, A3, A4 etc. etc.

A3 mfsw caps are not the same as A4 mfsw caps or fbmfsw !

Foxy

Status
    I thought about that and I think with some alteration they may fit as they are the same width just a little longer, also solved the dsg removal I took the paddles off the wheel and dismantled them and what is left is a cup forming the base of the paddle so I filled with body filler and primed, then painted satin black and I now have two perfect blanking plates.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    I cant see the problem with blanking caps...you cant see them on mine anyway ! as for the paddles i would just wire them up to do something useful....ie would make a much better dip switch than the stalk one
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Foxy

Status
    Hi just a quick update on my wheel, done the blanking of the paddle mod so I now have an RS6 wheel for a manual, the seller has sourced some blanks for the airbag screws so will get them shortly anyway here is a few pics will update when fitted.

4th Gear

Status
    best wheel ever

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrenlord View Post
    best wheel ever
    Agree!!!

Love naths one retrimmed in alcantara!!!
    Current:
    A3 Black Edition 2.0 TDI 140

Foxy

Status
    Hi all, tried to fit my wheel tonight and to my dissapointment the plug which goes into the slip ring does not fit, the original one has an orange release catch and the new one is purple and a slightly different shape, from a distance they appear to be the same. Is there a way I can get this to fit, thought about trying loom off other airbag but have been put off with the horn problem others have had and the fact that the spade connectors are a different size on each airbag assembly. Please can anyone help.

Fossie

Status
    Sorry about that Foxy - but I did advise you of the possible problem. See my post #6

I'm afraid the wheel and airbag you have seem to require a different steering module and slip ring. Or a different airbag.
    I am not able to advise what you could do but it sounds like you will need to get an airbag from an A3 fbmfsw together with wiring loom and hope that it fits the wheel you have.

Unfortunately Audi have a happy knack of making each car just that bit different so that, although bits may physically fit, the electronic connections do not allow standard operation across models.

Sorry !

Foxy

Status
    can i just change the airbag loom to an A3 FBMFSW one which will fit the airbag and my slip ring, as the TT one ive seen one ebay looks identical to what I need

Foxy

Status
    I thought the airbags were the same as each other but in different carcasses to suit the range of steering wheels.

Foxy

Status
    Would changing the loom to an A3 FBMFSW one work, I can only think the one with the wheel doesnt because it was for a dsg RS6 and mine is a manual. Any help would be great, thanks for taking time to reply.

Fossie

Status
    I think this project has become somewhat complicated and any sort of compromise or adaptation from original design parameters for airbags can be dangerous. If you try and fit something not designed for your car there is always the danger of the airbag not going off when needed ! Also the airbag control module on your car may not be the same as the RS6.

Can I suggest that you contact Dave at Stoke Audi (sponsors of this forum) and give him details of the wheel and airbag and let him advise you as to whether a TT wiring loom will work properly. He will also be able to advise whether the airbag will work ok with your car.

The wiring loom is only £20 - £25 from Audi so it is better to get it from them.

I'm sorry I can't help any further but it would not be right to speculate about such an important safety element.

Good luck !

Foxy

Status
    I appreciate the advise mike will contact them and see if they can help. Im curious to how others have got RS6 wheels to work on A3's, anyway many thanks for the help mate

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by FOX201030 View Post
    The seller has sourced some blanks for the airbag screws so will get them shortly
    They should be : 8J0 419 732 6PS
    Last edited by N8; 20th July 2011 at 12:13.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by slade777 View Post
    Love naths one retrimmed in alcantara!!!
    Cheers dude! This one is sexual also:

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

Foxy

Status
    Sexual aint the word. Did you have any airbag issues N8?

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I bought my car brand new with MFSW, the minute I drove home from the garage (about 15 miles on the clock) I swapped it Matt Andrew as I bought a brand new FBMFSW from German ebay! Dec 2007 it cost me £340 delivered!

He bought a loom for me, not quite sure what it was, then I've had 2 more wheels since then and they've both been fine!

Foxy

Status
    Hi all just an update and picture, had to go to Audi to get a TT/A3 airbag loom 8J0 971 589 B and swap it with the RS6 one, turns out the airbag part number matches the FBSW airbag others had fitted so all works perfectly no errors, got esp light after wheel change which dissappeared after driving 100 yards. Well happy with wheel so here is a picture. P.S. will run a VCDS scan when laptop is charged to make sure all is well.

Last edited by FOX1980; 23rd July 2011 at 21:09.

Foxy

Status
    I would like to thank all who posted advise and help on this thread, much appreciated.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Whats next for the cabin?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast