Audi s3 2007 two bigger turbos?

S3TOY

Reaction score
Hi I'm new on this forum. Was wondering if I can replace the turbos in my s3 with bigger turbos? It's currenty running at 310bhp. It was Madalex's first Audi s3 in black. Thanks

I think there's still plenty more power to be had before you need to go hybrid or bigger turbo.

Yes you can replace it with A bigger turbo, ie just ONE!

Garrett GT28** and GT30** series are the most popular turbo upgrades. Depends what power you want and whether your willing to have your internals upgraded. Goes without saying intake, TBE, FMIC, clutch, fuel pump/s will also need fitting/upgrading as well as injectors for RS4 ones.

As above, intake, exhaust and high pressure fuel pump with stage 2 map will be a much bigger improvement, you can opt for a bigger turbo but it's a big cost to take on

Isn't there just one turbo on S3s? If not, I think I lost a turbo somewhere :sos:

Hmm.. I stage 2 sounds good. How much would this cost me?

rough estimate
tbe 1200
fmic 600
hpfp 350
clutch kit 850-1000
cai 300-380
map 250-650
rough figures for you mind you may not need the fmic till you go big turbo

pretty pricey but iguess its worth it. thanks guys

Basically, big turbo is quite far down the road in terms of modifying S3s. Remap will take you past 300bhp, any more than that and you'll start having clutch issues (I know, it's the torque more than the bhp but it's a good guideline). Exhaust and intake will open up stage 2 maps, then you'll need a high-pressure fuel pump upgrade (just uprated internals into the existing pump is easiest way) and possibly FMIC for stage 2+, though that was more an 8L issue than 8P. Once that's all out of the way, you should be comfortably past 350bhp and starting to look at big turbo alternatives.

Remember to sort the suspension and brakes along the way too - understeer is quite drastic even with standard power, and the brakes will start to fade quite quickly once you get used to the extra power (or so I've heard). And insurance will probably try to take your house once you start seeing >25% gains (the reason my stage 2 is currently on hold).

Basically, big turbo is quite far down the road in terms of modifying S3s. Remap will take you past 300bhp, any more than that and you'll start having clutch issues (I know, it's the torque more than the bhp but it's a good guideline). Exhaust and intake will open up stage 2 maps, then you'll need a high-pressure fuel pump upgrade (just uprated internals into the existing pump is easiest way) and possibly FMIC for stage 2+, though that was more an 8L issue than 8P. Once that's all out of the way, you should be comfortably past 350bhp and starting to look at big turbo alternatives.

Remember to sort the suspension and brakes along the way too - understeer is quite drastic even with standard power, and the brakes will start to fade quite quickly once you get used to the extra power (or so I've heard). And insurance will probably try to take your house once you start seeing >25% gains (the reason my stage 2 is currently on hold).

Thanks mate... it seems as a massive headache to me remapping to stage 2.. Currently pushing out 310bhp thats pretty quick as it is.. im gonna look more into a stage 2 remap and hopefully get it done(gotta start filling the piggy bank first lol)

Thanks mate... it seems as a massive headache to me remapping to stage 2.. Currently pushing out 310bhp thats pretty quick as it is.. im gonna look more into a stage 2 remap and hopefully get it done(gotta start filling the piggy bank first lol)

You should take a look through all of the threads here and at VAGOC on Stg2 remaps and above,before parting with any money.

It's easy enough to get 330bhp,without spending too much,but once you get to 360bhp,you will have spent quite a bit,and as has been said,you will be getting to the point of needing your brakes,suspension and a few other bits attending to.

If you added up all of yuan's estimates,Stg2+ will take you around 360bhp,but will cost about £3500-4000,and if you wanted more,you can double that,as a big turbo kit will easily cost that,AND,you would have to add in brakes and suspension if you hadn't already,or it won't stop or handle properly.

As Alex said as well as going big turbo, you need to uprate everything else so it can handle it.

Thanks N8....I should also have said that the brakes and suspension will add a good bit more....

Brake kit....anywhere from £1800 up

Suspension.....easily £1200 and up

Haldex controller....£700 or so

As you say,if you upgrade the power,you need to uprate everything else,or you end up with something that goes in straight lines but doesn't stop or go round corners....

yes i got to Stage 2+ also with stock brakes and only lowering springs and the handling needed urgent attention. i have since added Arbs (circa£400) and brakes (Circa£1800) as alex said. I also feel i need coilovers to be honest. Its a Domino Effect.. Everytime you do something, something else needs upgrading to accomodate it

Thanks N8....I should also have said that the brakes and suspension will add a good bit more....

Brake kit....anywhere from £1800 up

Suspension.....easily £1200 and up

Haldex controller....£700 or so

As you say,if you upgrade the power,you need to uprate everything else,or you end up with something that goes in straight lines but doesn't stop or go round corners....

No worries Alex! I still want to experience a BT S3, regardless of the software :laugh: :wub:

Once you get up to BT on an S3, you'd have probably been better off just getting an RS4 instead. Even getting everything sorted for a Stage 2+ is going to make the price gap painfully small.

No worries Alex! I still want to experience a BT S3, regardless of the software :laugh: :wub:

Come on down to the next AMD open day,or maybe Inters next year....there should be a few around!

Once you get up to BT on an S3, you'd have probably been better off just getting an RS4 instead. Even getting everything sorted for a Stage 2+ is going to make the price gap painfully small.

Price gap maybe...but performance gap....that's another matter.

The RS4 will just about make 255bhp/tonne...a BT S3 will begin well above that!

Joking aside,of course it comes down to what you want,plus the law of diminishing returns,but personally,I didn't want something the size of an RS4 again,and it's fuel economy is like any other big V8...poor.

Come on down to the next AMD open day,or maybe Inters next year....there should be a few around!

I went out in Martin's track spec 650bhp RS4 @ Inters, did 60 in 3.5s that was enough for me. Also drove my friends 600bhp track Norris Designs Evo last weekend! That was also out of this world

I went out in Martin's track spec 650bhp RS4 @ Inters, did 60 in 3.5s that was enough for me. Also drove my friends 600bhp track Norris Designs Evo last weekend! That was also out of this world

The TT-RS boys were getting down into the 3.2s mark on around 500bhp,and the RS4 was in pretty much the same region.

For me,knowing what sort of time mine should make is fine,as I'm never really going to want to fry the clutch or whatever,and I know some of the mechanical fallout from that event,but what I do want,is something that goes well on the road,and has bags of midrange torque and power.

Last edited:
Yeh of course, I just went out/drove them. I agree - I am looking forward to owning a big bhp vag with all the trimmings in the future.

Yeh of course, I just went out/drove them. I agree - I am looking forward to owning a big bhp vag with all the trimmings in the future.

If you ever need any help or whatever,there's a lot of them over on the other forum,and I'd certainly recommend AMDEssex,although I know you may have trouble with the software!

The guys over there have been a goldmine of information...

I love the fact your gonna have to save for stage 2, what did you think 2 BT turbos were going to cost on an S3 :)

Not really as a Stage+ S3's power: weight ratio is pretty much the same as an RS4's if not slightly better, if the S3 is making around 365 @ the fly. And apparently many RS4s were down 20-25 bhp from the factory quoted figures on many occasions.

Not really as a Stage+ S3's power: weight ratio is pretty much the same as an RS4's if not slightly better, if the S3 is making around 365 @ the fly. And apparently many RS4s were down 20-25 bhp from the factory quoted figures on many occasions.

I didn't really think about the RS4's extra weight... I just want that V8 so bad, and they're gorgeous! This isn't helping my decision to leave Stage 2+ for a while and get the suspension sorted first (and 19"s) either...

If you ever need any help or whatever,there's a lot of them over on the other forum,and I'd certainly recommend AMDEssex,although I know you may have trouble with the software!

The guys over there have been a goldmine of information...

Ben Williamson from AVP did my cousins rebuild - I'd use him again and of corse Shark for the mapping! Will be good although a few ears off yet :wub:

Ben Williamson from AVP did my cousins rebuild - I'd use him again and of corse Shark for the mapping! Will be good although a few ears off yet :wub:

Ben now works at Revo Svc Ctr, so he may try and tempt you towards the dark side if there is a next time and you're needing a map!

i bet that was awesome n8 the rs and the evo a few years back i drove a 450bhp evo tommy mack edition and that was epic 0-60 really pushed me into the seat was impressed with it

Ben now works at Revo Svc Ctr, so he may try and tempt you towards the dark side if there is a next time and you're needing a map!

Ben is no longer working for revo he is working back up at burton for his self