EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Water/coolant temperature problem

My 2008 S3 water temp seems to drop every now and then after it has hit 90 degrees. Even after a long 1 hour drive on the motorway the temperatue just slightly drops and then slowly goes back up. I've put it on a VCDS and there aren't any sensor faults. Any ideas? Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sportback owner

Status
    Bash, it sounds like a sticking thermostat. This is a mechanical device, so would not show up on VCDS. I don't think that the thermostat element is too hard to get at, and probably does not cost much to replace. Good luck.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

Audi Heaven

Status
    As above, thermostat for definate... Has the same on my old Golf MK4
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replies, will have a look!

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    After an hours drive on the motorway it is quite reasonable for the thermo to shut and reopen. All it is doing is maintaining the temp at 90. Sounds to me like its doing its job.

If however the temp was not being adjusted back to 90 then i would see that there was a problem
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    After an hours drive on the motorway it is quite reasonable for the thermo to shut and reopen. All it is doing is maintaining the temp at 90. Sounds to me like its doing its job.

If however the temp was not being adjusted back to 90 then i would see that there was a problem
    My temp guage never moves from 90 though, where as when the thermostat went on my Golf it would drop back etc.... Does yours move then Paddy??
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Sportback owner

Status
    The thermostat will regulate the temperature very accurately. No more than a whisker of movement on the needle. If you are seeing a difference in temperature, it's the thermostat which is not providing the usual fine control of temperature that we normally expect. Suggest you replace the thermostat and see the difference. Not expensive, but of course not a major problem also.
    French A3 Sportback 2006, 2.0L 140 TDI, DSG, RSN-E, Ambient lighting, Auto-lights/wipers, Reverse assist, Dolphin Grey, 17" wheels, Leather seats, Cruise control, Roof bars.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    To be honest, well yes it does but only by the thickness of the needle. In traffic it will drop by more when the fan cuts in. the V6 has 2 rads and 3 fans so maybe its a bit more sensitive ?
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

1st Gear

Status
    This is my fourth audi in recent times and it's the first time I've seen it happen. When it moves more than the needle width it's a problem I think.