Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    5th Gear

Status

S3 knocking sound

Hi guys,

I had a listen to an engine on a S3 today and there is some kind of knocking noise. I can't hear it when I press the clutch so it looks like a flywheel. What worries me though is that I can hear it more on the side of alternator/cambelt area and DMF with clutch is on the other side? And another thing is mileage on the car -barely 20k miles. Seems a bit to early for a DMF.

This car had a cooling pipe damaged and no coolant in it. It might have been started few times like that but wasn't driven. I've changed the pipe today and filled it up with coolant up to max. I then started it and it went down to minimum. 3 times like that and now it stays at max. I'm thinking that maybe water pump is dying and could make that sound but can't see it being connected with no sound when clutch is pressed.

Any ideas?

It sounds like a plastic rattle.
    I forgot to take a video today but will do it on Tuesday.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    How do mate,normally best way of telling if the water pump has gone is by seeing if anything is coming back through the small overflow tube back in to the expansion tank,if there is its ok as the there is water circulating if not then its gone,is there any visible leaks ? if its lost all its water the fillingt the tank up 3 times wouldnt worry me if its now holding a level but if not i would start to think head gasket is gone so wouldnt advise driving to be honest,i dont know if you use anyone inparticular but if not i would recommend statller at sheffield but he would no doubt look after you

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

5th Gear

Status
    I will let the engine idle for few minutes on Tuesday to see if it goes down again but I think that cooling system was completely empty. I've put around 3.5 litres of fluid. According to audi mechanic it should be 3-3.5.
    I will check that small pipe - should fluid flow all the time through it? How intensively?

I have this car down south but might stick it on the trailer and bring here to Sheffield.

3rd Gear

Status
    If there is any fluid coming back through it at all its not the water pump so doesnt matter who much and how intense bud

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

5th Gear

Status
    OK, thanks for that. Will find out tomorrow.