i Pod in A3?

steeve

Reaction score
I read you can connect up your i pod to an Audi, is it called phatnoise or something?
Will this take an i Pod mini? Do the dealers fit it and how much is it, sorry for all the questions... any info gratefully received.

I just bought an i Pod mini today (wanted a shuffle but couldnt get one) but I am amazed at what this can do, am over the moon with it.
best 179 quid I ever spent, well perhaps ....
Thanks STEVE...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

steevey

A few options;
- there are a number of devices that will transmit your IPOD music via FM. You can then tune your radio to that frequency and listen in. Best units have integrated car chargers.
Pro - easy, no installation, portable
Con - reduced sound quality (although this may be a moot point depending on your iTunes burn defaults)
Con - FM receivers automatically hunt for strongest signal. This means you will need to change FM transmission frequency whenever you encounter a "proper" station on your current "channel". This can be a serious pain in the arif when you drive through a city.

Another option
- hard connection via spare ports in your car stereo. Easy if you don't have CD changer (it uses the port). If you do, you may need to get it done for you by a pro (not that kind of pro)
Pro - Best possible sound quality
Con - Not portable

Another option
- just burn data cd's from iTunes using AAC. You can get loads of tunes onto a CD.
Pros - v easy
Cons - you need a CD player that reads MP3

Another option
- MP3 onto cards (only on Satnav + I think)

There are also devices that will plug into your headphone jack and connect into your cd slot / cassette slot. Generally these are not too clever, especially on CD players, as they can cause damage (but that could just be an urban myth)

Basically go for option 2 unless you live in the sticks and drive pretty much the same route every morning. Its what I have done and its top work.

I am no expert on this but this is the general info I managed to pick up when I had the same query. I am prepared for an onslaught of corrections from more knowledgable members...!

I use the neo ion www.mp3yourcar.com and it works very well. It makes a direct connection with the iPod and has cd like sound quality. I really like the interface and it charges the iPod while in use.

I know it's a bit off topic, but have you ever suggested PhatNoise 'Digital car audio system'? I picked up brochure from Audi today, after reading it whilst stuck in rush hour traffic, it defo looks the biz. You can download 500 cds in the format of mp3, wma, wav etc to a DMS cartidge..

[ QUOTE ]
I know it's a bit off topic, but have you ever suggested PhatNoise 'Digital car audio system'? I picked up brochure from Audi today, after reading it whilst stuck in rush hour traffic, it defo looks the biz. You can download 500 cds in the format of mp3, wma, wav etc to a DMS cartidge..

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm that sounds pretty cool but I have never heard of it. I am really impressed with the neo ion www.mp3yourcar.com I can see this thing replacing car cd changers in the near future.

Yes its in the Audi accesory brochure, but my Dealer quotes 633 fitted, too much.....

i can copy from i tunes onto CD any way

Saw in Halfrauds today an I pod compatable head unit .... didnyt look at the price though....
Made by Alpine (not MacAlpine I hope?)

Yep, the Alpine solution is very cool.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/alpine/english/index.htm

You need a modern Alpine headunit that's compatible with Ai-NET, and the KCA-420i adapter thingy that you can hide in the glove box.

The iPod connects to the KCA-420i, and you can control it via the head unit controls. Song info is displayed on the head unit too.

Total cost (head unit + adapter) is around GBP400, which is why I went with the Dension iceLink instead.