JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By N8

Thread: DSG Box and remap 2.0 TFSI

Reverse Gear

Status

DSG Box and remap 2.0 TFSI

hi, i'm considering getting my a3 2.0 tfsi quattro remapped, figures quoted around 245-255bhp post remap. My concern is the DSG clutch(s) and how they will handle the power increase, not knowing much about gear boxes??? Will the box cope, or will its life span be severely reduced?

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    the DSG box is massively strong, there are people running stage 2+ S3s on stock DSG with no ill effects so i wouldnt worry about it
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

Audi Heaven

Status
    As above DSG is a lot stronger than the manual box and clutch...
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

3rd Gear

Status
    Do they make a dsg and quattro 2.0T? I thought it was one or the other?

Audi Heaven

Status
    The current 2.0T Quattro is only available with S-Tronic (DSG in audi speak)...
    Scott

Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers all !!!!

Looking forward to the map now!

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Its the TDi you cant have DSG and Quattro.
    Looking through the Audi sales site it seems the DSG is now called S-tronic or auto clutch or auto or multitronic or semi automatic or tiptronic............so even Audi cant make their mind up .....lol
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Audi Heaven

Status
    The Audi sales site is rubbish for the descriptions of the cars. S-Tronic, Multitronic and Automatic gearboxes are all different. Multitronic is just weird from what I have seen of it on youtube!
    Scott

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Manual Clutch =

DSG Clutch =

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    @ N8 ... and yes pad, i think you're right, because I initially was going to go for the 170tdi quattro, but they could only do it in manuel! I thought they were being dumb! Lol.. But I got the 2.0tfsi Q in the end ...
    S-Tronic FTW
    Last edited by quattro81; 7th July 2011 at 01:33.
    Red is the colour..

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    Manuel clutch =

Red is the colour..

Y.N.W.A.

Status
    lol at the pics.

I have a question, is DSG as jerky as other autos? I know it's better than other autos out there but I just want your experience on the actual gear changes (i.e. first to second, or second to third) how smooth is it?

Quote Originally Posted by 55_UK View Post
    lol at the pics.

I have a question, is DSG as jerky as other autos? I know it's better than other autos out there but I just want your experience on the actual gear changes (i.e. first to second, or second to third) how smooth is it?
    I'm on my third A3 with a DSG and I would say the changes are as smooth as it is possible to get. As good as when someone who knows what they are doing makes a perfect change on a manual gearbox except that the DSG gets it right every gear change.

The fact that you can change up with you foot flat on the floor and the only thing you notice is the change in revs. I always drive mine using in tip-tronic mode making the changes when I want to using either the centre lever or the steering wheel paddles and the changes are always very smooth and very fast. I would certainly never want to go back to a old-fashioned manual gearbox and clutch.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Y.N.W.A.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    I'm on my third A3 with a DSG and I would say the changes are as smooth as it is possible to get. As good as when someone who knows what they are doing makes a perfect change on a manual gearbox except that the DSG gets it right every gear change.

The fact that you can change up with you foot flat on the floor and the only thing you notice is the change in revs. I always drive mine using in tip-tronic mode making the changes when I want to using either the centre lever or the steering wheel paddles and the changes are always very smooth and very fast. I would certainly never want to go back to a old-fashioned manual gearbox and clutch.
    Thank you for your input man.

I test drove a DSG with flappy paddles on the SW and I must say I fell in love with it straight away. In automatic, when I put my foot flat the first to seconde change was slight jerky, but if built speed gradually and then floored it in third-ish gear i wouldnt know which gear i was in (thats how smooth it was) and then dropped it from paddles to 4th, floored it and whilst going up to 5th and 6th with no jerk at all. So your review totally describes my experience just now.

Are their any known issues i should look out for before buying a used DSG?