DSG Box and remap 2.0 TFSI

keydoh

Reaction score
hi, i'm considering getting my a3 2.0 tfsi quattro remapped, figures quoted around 245-255bhp post remap. My concern is the DSG clutch(s) and how they will handle the power increase, not knowing much about gear boxes??? Will the box cope, or will its life span be severely reduced?

Any thoughts welcome, thanks!!

the DSG box is massively strong, there are people running stage 2+ S3s on stock DSG with no ill effects so i wouldnt worry about it

Do they make a dsg and quattro 2.0T? I thought it was one or the other?

The current 2.0T Quattro is only available with S-Tronic (DSG in audi speak)...

Cheers all !!!!

Looking forward to the map now!

Its the TDi you cant have DSG and Quattro.
Looking through the Audi sales site it seems the DSG is now called S-tronic or auto clutch or auto or multitronic or semi automatic or tiptronic............so even Audi cant make their mind up .....lol

The Audi sales site is rubbish for the descriptions of the cars. S-Tronic, Multitronic and Automatic gearboxes are all different. Multitronic is just weird from what I have seen of it on youtube!

Manual Clutch =

weakling1.png

DSG Clutch =

arnie-predator.jpg

Reactions: andywaddy, pinterovski and keydoh
:lmfao: @ N8 ... and yes pad, i think you're right, because I initially was going to go for the 170tdi quattro, but they could only do it in manuel! I thought they were being dumb! Lol.. But I got the 2.0tfsi Q in the end ...
S-Tronic FTW:superman:

Last edited:
lol at the pics.

I have a question, is DSG as jerky as other autos? I know it's better than other autos out there but I just want your experience on the actual gear changes (i.e. first to second, or second to third) how smooth is it?

lol at the pics.

I have a question, is DSG as jerky as other autos? I know it's better than other autos out there but I just want your experience on the actual gear changes (i.e. first to second, or second to third) how smooth is it?

I'm on my third A3 with a DSG and I would say the changes are as smooth as it is possible to get. As good as when someone who knows what they are doing makes a perfect change on a manual gearbox except that the DSG gets it right every gear change.

The fact that you can change up with you foot flat on the floor and the only thing you notice is the change in revs. I always drive mine using in tip-tronic mode making the changes when I want to using either the centre lever or the steering wheel paddles and the changes are always very smooth and very fast. I would certainly never want to go back to a old-fashioned manual gearbox and clutch.

I'm on my third A3 with a DSG and I would say the changes are as smooth as it is possible to get. As good as when someone who knows what they are doing makes a perfect change on a manual gearbox except that the DSG gets it right every gear change.

The fact that you can change up with you foot flat on the floor and the only thing you notice is the change in revs. I always drive mine using in tip-tronic mode making the changes when I want to using either the centre lever or the steering wheel paddles and the changes are always very smooth and very fast. I would certainly never want to go back to a old-fashioned manual gearbox and clutch.

Thank you for your input man.

I test drove a DSG with flappy paddles on the SW and I must say I fell in love with it straight away. In automatic, when I put my foot flat the first to seconde change was slight jerky, but if built speed gradually and then floored it in third-ish gear i wouldnt know which gear i was in (thats how smooth it was) and then dropped it from paddles to 4th, floored it and whilst going up to 5th and 6th with no jerk at all. So your review totally describes my experience just now.

Are their any known issues i should look out for before buying a used DSG?