New side lights

Herbsta1c

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this has already been posted but i didn't want to high-jack someone else's thread.

i have an a3 s line 2.0l tdi year 2005 but with the full mouth grille and not split grille also they are not the xenon lights.

i am after changing the side lights to something with a nice bright white led look but have no idea what will work and will is the right ones to choose. can some one help me out who has already done it and advise me of what side led to get?

thanks to all in advance.

chris

what does 5 smd or 8 smd mean? is there a specific one that is better than the others?

oh i have found out now -its how many led's it has - 1 last question then - would 8 led be way to bright?

No mate - the difference between 5 and 8 of those mini LEDs won't be too much - 8 won't be too bright at all. At £5 you can't lose.

And if 8 is too bright for you - chuck them in the bin & buy some cr*p ones! Loads of us on here will have some terrible ones we bought - I paid £20 for some terrible PIAA mirror ones a while back that were just a rubbish blue colour. You can have them for £4.50 if you want!!!!

What he said :p
i was getting lunch from tesco so just saw your posts...
Chris... dont take this the wrong way mate but google can help you loads on your questions :thumbsup:

I guess this is the same principal as the many threads on the number plate LED's.
With the number plate ones people seemed to have concerns about the ones with the resistors overheating and melting the housing. Is this a problem on the fronts too? I guess if the unit can handle a 55w headlight bulb, then surely it'll cope with these LED's and their resistors, but I didn't know if they're too close to the casing for the extra warmth?

yeah course i will. once they are fitted which will hopefully be tomorrow - i will post up some pics and let you know the quality

I guess this is the same principal as the many threads on the number plate LED's.
With the number plate ones people seemed to have concerns about the ones with the resistors overheating and melting the housing. Is this a problem on the fronts too? I guess if the unit can handle a 55w headlight bulb, then surely it'll cope with these LED's and their resistors, but I didn't know if they're too close to the casing for the extra warmth?

Dan - it's not been an issue for me and my w5w have been fitted for months now. Because the circuit boards that the LEDs are mounted on are quite long, the LEDs are quite a way into the headlamp reflector unit. As that's reflective metallic anyway, the heat would only be reflected back around the headlamp unit.

As you say, there's more heat from a std 55w headlamp bulb...

I have an 08 new shape A4 how the heck do you acsess the side lights bulb. I will be fitting leds. Csny you help??

You might get an answer in the A4 section as most people in this section will only know about A3's