Going to look at a 3.2 DSG tomorrow, couple of pointers please!

its_neil

Reaction score
As title, looking at a 3.2 V6 Sport tomorrow, has roughly 45,000 miles on the clock and is up for £7,700 at a garage.

Any big services due at that mileage? am I right in thinking that the V6 is chain driven? I am going to look in the service book for DSG and Haldex servicing which should have been done 40k odd but is there anything I should look for? Is that price good? Parkers seems to agree with it to some extent.

What year is it?

Any options added?

And yes, it has a timing chain. There can be an issue on earlier models with the chain stretching.

Also check to see if u can hold the revs at 2000rpm, stationary. Might require a software update.

Last edited:
Could be a bargain, I paid a lot more than that for mine 6 months ago!

Theres lots of 3.2 info on here, have a good read through tonight.

Good luck for tmoz, let us know how u get on.

Sounds like you might just scrape into the lower road tax at pre 2006#
i went out to sell mine today 2004 but with cam chains/sprockets, vvt units etc done, S-line, Satnav, light pack FBMFSW, 50k miles, bla bla. Test drove a 3ltr d A5 and a 330i and 330d bmw coupe.
Driving home it was hugely obvious the 3.2 A3 is a far better car than anything i drove today. Its a crying shame they pulled the plug on it and didnt replace it because people like me are now left with having to take a backward step to replace it.

Last edited:
Sounds like you might just scrape into the lower road tax at pre 2006#
i went out to sell mine today 2004 but with cam chains/sprockets, vvt units etc done, S-line, Satnav, light pack FBMFSW, 50k miles, bla bla. Test drove a 3ltr d A5 and a 330i and 330d bmw coupe.
Driving home it was hugely obvious the 3.2 A3 is a far better car than anything i drove today. Its a crying shame they pulled the plug on it and didnt replace it because people like me are now left with having to take a backward step to replace it.

What didn't you like about the A5, I was contemplating one of these next.

There is lots to like about the A5 in particular the interior and modern set up like DAB radio etc where as the A3/S3 is now very much a last generation car. The BMW has Std equipment levels that make Audi's look like Morris Minors........but !! The bottom line is the BM and A5 are like large pleasure cruisers while my 3.2 A3 feels like a jet ski in comparison. Its not a criticism of either, its just a personal choice thing. Neither the A5 or BM are cars i could see myself driving for the fun of it where as i often take the long route in the A3 because its just got grin factor.
Try one, you will either click with it or not :)

Come on P, its time to realise you are stuck with her! You keep trying but you wont find better! I like the A5s and I know what you mean about it. Had beamas but just prefer the Audi.