S3 DSG 1st Gear Launch

taylorc

A4 BE Quattro S-Tronic
Reaction score
Following on from Darrens post a few days ago about the DSG remap it has got me thinking, has anyone found an effective way to get a good launch in a DSG S3 (standard or mapped) without using the launch control i.e say a good standing start from a set of lights.
Obviously as the drive is always engaged there is no way to raise the revs before the clutch engages so is there another way to get a smooth but powerful start?

Cheers

I've just bought a 3.2 QS with DSG and only found out about launch control last night. Reading the manual it says to select sport mode, switch off ESP press the brake with your left foot and hold 3.5k with your right foot. When ready to go take your foot off the brake and away you go.

Following on from Darrens post a few days ago about the DSG remap it has got me thinking, has anyone found an effective way to get a good launch in a DSG S3 (standard or mapped) without using the launch control i.e say a good standing start from a set of lights.
Obviously as the drive is always engaged there is no way to raise the revs before the clutch engages so is there another way to get a smooth but powerful start?

Cheers

there isnt anything else you can do is there?? :think:

I have played around with it as much as I can but, you still get that slight auto box hang before launch. There are now the dsg flashes that you can get from revo and Giac that allow for the rpm to be higher on launch, but nothing without engaging launch control. It's the one thing that bugs me about the stronic box that you get that same old auto lull before everything engages. I had an r32 as well, which was actually better and I'm guessing that was just down to the extra low down torque. It would always be the quicker car off the line before the s3 got up and running. Looking forward to the next gen. .

I have tried things like holding the handbrake and gently putting my foot down and also using my left foot to hold the brake but due to the torque (especially with a remap) the car lurches (and obviously repeated use of these methods will wear the brakes) so I was just wondering if anyone had tried anything else.

I reach down with my left arm and hold the brake pedal on, with my left ear pressed against the steering wheel, whilst holding on the throttle with my right hand and using my right thumb to steady the steering wheel :lmfao: can't really see properly at this point:scared2: and I have to sit up quick as soon as I release the brake to steady the steering... My mrs was screaming at me when I did this to her the other day from some traffic lights just down the road (in Mexico obviously).. My best mate reckons I should make a YouTube video of it:think:

Last edited:
I reach down with my left arm and hold the brake pedal on, with my left ear pressed against the steering wheel, whilst holding on the throttle with my right hand and using my right thumb to steady the steering wheel :lmfao: can't really see properly at this point:scared2: and I have to sit up quick as soon as I release the brake to steady the steering... My mrs was screaming at me when I did this to her the other day from some traffic lights just down the road (in Mexico obviously).. My best mate reckons I should make a YouTube video of it:think:

Yes, but does it work :think:

In the 3.2 you just switch pedals from brake to accelerator stand on the gas in first with esp off and it just takes off but then we dont need revs first to wind the turbo up :)
Dave, forget about launch control on the 3.2 unless you want to be buying a complete new drive train in the coming year :)

Yes, but does it work :think:

Well to be honest, it doesn't really answer your first question does it? It's merely the way I have to do it to use the launch control! Lol.. As S3 RYE has said above, launch control is the only way in the dsg's.. Otherwise get a manual I spose?

Buy a manual ;) lmao!

Do all DSG's come with flaps? I'd use them with the brake and accel on!

Ive never tried launch control on mine - im scared that i'll break something.

The thought of holding down the accelerator and the brake at the same time in an auto doesnt seem right to me!

I have never tried launch control (if I am honest I am a bit scared too, especially on a normal road at a set of lights lol) and I find sport mode a little bit too aggressive for just a spirited take off (although it does the trick in certain situations).
My question was based around using manual mode with the paddles (which i didn't state in my original post), Auto mode is only any good for lazy driving!
On the Fifth Gear test of the RS3 I am sure VBH used her left foot to hold the brake and the right to give it some gas but when I tried it the car just kept lurching and the brakes made some very strange noises lol.

1) ESP off
2) sport mode
3) hold brake all the way down
4) hold throttle on full
Car revs to around 3200rpm
5) release brake,
Car launches!:thumbsup:
If launch control does not engage properly, the car will pull against the brake at around 1500rpm and tried to surge forward. I think when you do it correctly, it uses one of the clutches to disengage the gear while you are holding the brake, then it releases the clutch when you release the brake pedal as there is a slight delay before the car launches , and there is no sensation that the brake is what is stopping the car moving...
Stop being a wuss and try it lol:yes: