Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    S3 Owner

Status

S3 DSG 1st Gear Launch

Following on from Darrens post a few days ago about the DSG remap it has got me thinking, has anyone found an effective way to get a good launch in a DSG S3 (standard or mapped) without using the launch control i.e say a good standing start from a set of lights.
    Obviously as the drive is always engaged there is no way to raise the revs before the clutch engages so is there another way to get a smooth but powerful start?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I've just bought a 3.2 QS with DSG and only found out about launch control last night. Reading the manual it says to select sport mode, switch off ESP press the brake with your left foot and hold 3.5k with your right foot. When ready to go take your foot off the brake and away you go.

Interior Next!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
    Following on from Darrens post a few days ago about the DSG remap it has got me thinking, has anyone found an effective way to get a good launch in a DSG S3 (standard or mapped) without using the launch control i.e say a good standing start from a set of lights.
    Obviously as the drive is always engaged there is no way to raise the revs before the clutch engages so is there another way to get a smooth but powerful start?

Cheers
    there isnt anything else you can do is there??
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

Neutral

Status
    I have played around with it as much as I can but, you still get that slight auto box hang before launch. There are now the dsg flashes that you can get from revo and Giac that allow for the rpm to be higher on launch, but nothing without engaging launch control. It's the one thing that bugs me about the stronic box that you get that same old auto lull before everything engages. I had an r32 as well, which was actually better and I'm guessing that was just down to the extra low down torque. It would always be the quicker car off the line before the s3 got up and running. Looking forward to the next gen. .
    S3 S-Back, Black Ed, Ibis, DSG, nav, buckets, folding mirrors, panoramic roof, park, adaptive, AMI, Tech Pack, non smoke pack, int light pack , Bose, VMR 710-19's et45, Eibach ARB Fr and Rear, H&R 25mm springs, light smoke tints. Mirrors Colour coded. Shark Stg 1

S3 Owner

Status
    I have tried things like holding the handbrake and gently putting my foot down and also using my left foot to hold the brake but due to the torque (especially with a remap) the car lurches (and obviously repeated use of these methods will wear the brakes) so I was just wondering if anyone had tried anything else.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    I reach down with my left arm and hold the brake pedal on, with my left ear pressed against the steering wheel, whilst holding on the throttle with my right hand and using my right thumb to steady the steering wheel can't really see properly at this point and I have to sit up quick as soon as I release the brake to steady the steering... My mrs was screaming at me when I did this to her the other day from some traffic lights just down the road (in Mexico obviously).. My best mate reckons I should make a YouTube video of it
    Last edited by quattro81; 29th June 2011 at 21:10.
    Red is the colour..

S3 Owner

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattro 1981 View Post
    I reach down with my left arm and hold the brake pedal on, with my left ear pressed against the steering wheel, whilst holding on the throttle with my right hand and using my right thumb to steady the steering wheel can't really see properly at this point and I have to sit up quick as soon as I release the brake to steady the steering... My mrs was screaming at me when I did this to her the other day from some traffic lights just down the road (in Mexico obviously).. My best mate reckons I should make a YouTube video of it
    Yes, but does it work

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    In the 3.2 you just switch pedals from brake to accelerator stand on the gas in first with esp off and it just takes off but then we dont need revs first to wind the turbo up :-)
    Dave, forget about launch control on the 3.2 unless you want to be buying a complete new drive train in the coming year
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorc View Post
    Yes, but does it work
    Well to be honest, it doesn't really answer your first question does it? It's merely the way I have to do it to use the launch control! Lol.. As S3 RYE has said above, launch control is the only way in the dsg's.. Otherwise get a manual I spose?
    Red is the colour..

jsh
    1st Gear

Status
    Sick it in S mode and boot it! That's usually enough
    And back again
    A4 2.0TDi S-Line Cab (2009) Dolphin Grey, Black Fine Nappa, RNS-E DVD Nav, Bluetooth Phone Prep

Gone....
    S3 Sportback S-tronic (2010) Ibis White

Going going..... Gone! (and very much missed)
    A4 2.0TDi S-Line Cab (2007) Dolphin Grey, Black Fine Nappa, RNS-E DVD Nav, Bluetooth Phone Prep

Top Gear!

Status
    Buy a manual lmao!

Do all DSG's come with flaps? I'd use them with the brake and accel on!

2nd Gear

Status
    Ive never tried launch control on mine - im scared that i'll break something.

The thought of holding down the accelerator and the brake at the same time in an auto doesnt seem right to me!

S3 Owner

Status
    I have never tried launch control (if I am honest I am a bit scared too, especially on a normal road at a set of lights lol) and I find sport mode a little bit too aggressive for just a spirited take off (although it does the trick in certain situations).
    My question was based around using manual mode with the paddles (which i didn't state in my original post), Auto mode is only any good for lazy driving!
    On the Fifth Gear test of the RS3 I am sure VBH used her left foot to hold the brake and the right to give it some gas but when I tried it the car just kept lurching and the brakes made some very strange noises lol.

All the gear.. No idea

Status
    1) ESP off
    2) sport mode
    3) hold brake all the way down
    4) hold throttle on full
    Car revs to around 3200rpm
    5) release brake,
    Car launches!
    If launch control does not engage properly, the car will pull against the brake at around 1500rpm and tried to surge forward. I think when you do it correctly, it uses one of the clutches to disengage the gear while you are holding the brake, then it releases the clutch when you release the brake pedal as there is a slight delay before the car launches , and there is no sensation that the brake is what is stopping the car moving...
    Stop being a wuss and try it lol
    Red is the colour..