AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    39

    Which tails lights

    Can I get some nice tail lights for my 2007 Audi a3 sportsback tdi. I really like the new Audi rear lights, it's the led ones on the Audi a4, anyone know any other nice ones or similar ones I can buy,,,, thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Mate you really need to use the search button. Most common upgrade is the facelift rear lights from 09 onwards. Get them from kufatec or Audi dealer. They need adaptors which you can get from kufatec and will need to be coded.
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    39
    But isn't the new Audi a new model and not a facelift......

  5. #4
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe- View Post
    But isn't the new Audi a new model and not a facelift......
    Its a facelift; new A3 is due next year(ish)

    The LED rear's fit a treat



    Ignore the non-working number plate light.........
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  6. #5
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Coventry/Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,074
    The ebay adaptors are cheaper and look OEM as there all black
    See NHN "Nigel" for the lights cheap

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    Its a facelift; new A3 is due next year(ish)

    The LED rear's fit a treat



    Ignore the non-working number plate light.........
    Nice..... Yep there the ones I like, are these the ones on the 2011 plate audis??

  8. #7
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe- View Post
    Nice..... Yep there the ones I like, are these the ones on the 2011 plate audis??
    Fitted to all Sportbacks from 2009 onwards
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  9. #8
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    I've used this guy twice now Orig. Audi A3 S3 Sportback LED Taillights Facelift =RHD | eBay UK.

    Delivery is fast and they INCLUDE the adaptor looms too. The only extra wire is for the inner lamp which takes 15mins to tap off the reg plate light.

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    I've used this guy twice now Orig. Audi A3 S3 Sportback LED Taillights Facelift =RHD | eBay UK.

    Delivery is fast and they INCLUDE the adaptor looms too. The only extra wire is for the inner lamp which takes 15mins to tap off the reg plate light.
    Is it easy to fit? And what extra wire do I need, you mentioned about the inner lamp??? Sorry I'm just so rubbish when it comes to diy

  11. #10
    c_w
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,061
    Really easy. The main amount of time is wiring the inner lamp feed.

    Outer lamps Inside the boot there are two oval caps that flick out to reveal a black plastic 13mm nut which holds the outer lamps in. Fully undo and remove these and the outer lamps will then be loose. However BE CAREFUL removing them as they have two ball sockets on the other end that slot into the side body of the car. It's a really poor design, but with a bit of care and prising they pop out as you bring the lamp outwards. Then it's a case of attaching the adaptor loom to the car loom and the other end to the lamp and slotting it back in.

    Inner Lamps For the inner lights you need to remove the inner tailgate trim. Remove two small torx bits around the centre of the inside handle. The rest of the trim is merely clipped in so start at say a bottom corner and pull firmly until it pops off; once one or two have popped off it usually comes off really easily then. You don't ordinarily need to remove this trim to change the inner lamps (since there' inspection hatches on either side), but since you need to add an additional wire you do this time. The inner lamps are held in by a 10mm nut that as it undoes it release a grab catch that slides back; you don't need to remove the nut, just full undo it to the end of the thread then the lamp should release. New ones slot in and tighten up. As with the outer lamps, fit the adaptor looms in between the new light and the factory connector; there is a spare loose wire that needs to be tapped into a power source; the reg plate lamp is ideal as that comes on with the lights!

    Inner Lamp Wiring
    Unplug the wire from reg plate light (small black connector with about 3 wires going to it). Strip back the black protector wrap a few inches back. The switched power is a grey(lilac)/brown wire to reg plate bulb. Tag the other two wires on to this wire; I usually use a sharp knife to scrape back the plastic coat and solder the wires on. One annoying aspect of the convertor looms is that the wire isn't really long enough to reach on one side so needs extending.

    Then Coding
    Byte 9 to Dec = 0 - as the final brake light
    Byte 10 to Dec = 0 - fog lamp as a taillight
    Byte 12 to Dec = 36 - dimming rear stand light (the figure 36 seems to be from a range of 22 to 100 for brightness)
    Byte 19 Bit to cold diagnosis rear active - this must be activated (usually already activated anyway)
    Byte 21 Bit 4 to "Rear Fog Light as Brake Light" in module 09 (6 brake lights; optional)

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by c_w View Post
    Really easy. The main amount of time is wiring the inner lamp feed.

    Outer lamps Inside the boot there are two oval caps that flick out to reveal a black plastic 13mm nut which holds the outer lamps in. Fully undo and remove these and the outer lamps will then be loose. However BE CAREFUL removing them as they have two ball sockets on the other end that slot into the side body of the car. It's a really poor design, but with a bit of care and prising they pop out as you bring the lamp outwards. Then it's a case of attaching the adaptor loom to the car loom and the other end to the lamp and slotting it back in.

    Inner Lamps For the inner lights you need to remove the inner tailgate trim. Remove two small torx bits around the centre of the inside handle. The rest of the trim is merely clipped in so start at say a bottom corner and pull firmly until it pops off; once one or two have popped off it usually comes off really easily then. You don't ordinarily need to remove this trim to change the inner lamps (since there' inspection hatches on either side), but since you need to add an additional wire you do this time. The inner lamps are held in by a 10mm nut that as it undoes it release a grab catch that slides back; you don't need to remove the nut, just full undo it to the end of the thread then the lamp should release. New ones slot in and tighten up. As with the outer lamps, fit the adaptor looms in between the new light and the factory connector; there is a spare loose wire that needs to be tapped into a power source; the reg plate lamp is ideal as that comes on with the lights!

    Inner Lamp Wiring
    Unplug the wire from reg plate light (small black connector with about 3 wires going to it). Strip back the black protector wrap a few inches back. The switched power is a grey(lilac)/brown wire to reg plate bulb. Tag the other two wires on to this wire; I usually use a sharp knife to scrape back the plastic coat and solder the wires on. One annoying aspect of the convertor looms is that the wire isn't really long enough to reach on one side so needs extending.

    Then Coding
    Byte 9 to Dec = 0 - as the final brake light
    Byte 10 to Dec = 0 - fog lamp as a taillight
    Byte 12 to Dec = 36 - dimming rear stand light (the figure 36 seems to be from a range of 22 to 100 for brightness)
    Byte 19 Bit to cold diagnosis rear active - this must be activated (usually already activated anyway)
    Byte 21 Bit 4 to "Rear Fog Light as Brake Light" in module 09 (6 brake lights; optional)
    Thankyou so much for the information, any pictures videos??

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO