vmr 19s tyre selection

woody03

Reaction score
alright have the chance to get some vmr v710s they are 19x8.5 et45. ive done some research on tyre choice as ideally i would like 225/35/19 to avoid overly stretching the tyres on my daily. however the car will need lowering for which i will be getting weitec coilovers. im hearing mixed reviews on this alloy and tyre size for scrubbing and catching the arches etc. im not fussed about going all the way down just a nice drop so it sits better on the wheels so does anybody know if i could get away with this on the 225/35/19 tyres. any help appreciated i know 215s will be fine just dont wanna stretch the tyres too much as ive heard you have to be more careful when driving on this tyre size if what im reading on searches is correct. thanks

As you probably know the correct tyre size is 235, so a 215 will give a reasonable stretch, but knowhere near a what some may say is a 'risky' level of stretch. I run a 225 on a 8.5 and it is barely stretched tbh, I'll be going 215 next time.

alright mate thanks for the info as i said id also heard that on 215s you had to drive a bit more careful which i didnt really want but if it aint too bad then i may go down the 215 route

Hi Mate

i am running the same V710 8.5x19, on my S3.

I have lowered on H&R springs which are 25mm lower than statndard S3 suspension.

i have run 225/35/19 various tyres, and some are worse than others in terms of rub. the best i have achieved is fortunatley with the Goodyear F1 which by luck also seems to be the tyre of choice on here from a preformance perspective. All clear at the front, but it did take about 1000 miles to bed in at the rear with a little rubbing. you will need to remove the screw inside the trear arch, but this is no problem, and now i can be 4 up and am fine.

Just my 2c's, but i have found this to be very tyre specific. i had a flat and the garage only had a kumho, and it gave me a bigger problem, but the goodyears are fine.

hope this helps.

darren thanks for the input was considering the h&r setup also but would prefer weitec coilovers im still to decide thanks for the advice. n8 i know 215s are the best shout i have saw these on an 8.5 rim and dont look too badly stretched just off searches a lot of people were saying best to stick to 225s if possible. how long you drove on the 215s and how do you find them? i drive about half hour each way to work each day fairly calmly which will be fine but what if you do a bit of spirited driving how do they then cope? you had many punctures or problems with the 215s?

Goodyear eagle f1 A2's are getting rave reviews.

Don't you guys need adjustable tiebars when you drop your car? No camber issues?

Btw loving VMR alloys some of my favourites! Don't forget the pics when you're done...

A guy up here got 3 points for his stretched tyres :( bad times...

A guy up here got 3 points for his stretched tyres :( bad times...

That's really weird to hear that, Gordy. I don't know of any Construction & Use legislation that would allow a police officer to issue a fixed penalty for stretched tyres. They must have been stretched to the point that the officer considered them to be dangerous and even then it would just have been 'in his personal opinion' as there is nothing AFAIK (unless the law has changed recently) to cover stretched tyres. Then again, ..could perhaps be Northern Constabulary using a bit of poetic licence as far as Road Traffic law goes, lol.

I don't know what he'd do to me, I don't have any tyres :laugh:

270163_10150659938760022_640225021_19205087_7661913_n.jpg

:wub:

That's really weird to hear that, Gordy. I don't know of any Construction & Use legislation that would allow a police officer to issue a fixed penalty for stretched tyres. They must have been stretched to the point that the officer considered them to be dangerous and even then it would just have been 'in his personal opinion' as there is nothing AFAIK (unless the law has changed recently) to cover stretched tyres. Then again, ..could perhaps be Northern Constabulary using a bit of poetic licence as far as Road Traffic law goes, lol.

They classed them as dangerous and the car was not fit to be on the road, according to the hofficer. He was told if the car was seen on the road again after the 21 day period with the wheels back on it would be impounded.

They can be stricked up here on the younger loons, hes got the baller look but i dont think he was behaving like a baller!

If i was to roll on a stretch i think i would be fine...

Air ride is also getting cheaper :)

:laugh: If I did get pulled over, first thing I'd do would be dump it, as he wouldn't know whats goin on, then end up having a chat about that for 15 mins then go right, on your way then :laugh: