EGR 'insufficient flow' and MAF sensor.

rickyquicky

Reaction score
My 2.0tdi BKD engine recently came up with a fault code which was 'EGR insufficient flow'.

The EGR valve was changed about 9 months ago for the same fault, which was supposedly cured until recently.

Now it has came back, I have been told it could in fact be the MAF sensor, and the engine management is mistakenly throwing out an EGR valve fault.

Anyone with experience know? Can a MAF fault show up as EGR on diagnostics?

The only 'fault' that is evident is that perhaps the car is not a fuel efficient as it used to be. TIA
smile.gif

if the airmass fails it defaults the egr to off or visa versa

final control the egr vacuum black body on the bulkhead

the unit leaks internally and therefore insufficient egr vacuum hence through put to low

the black solenoid box is the likely culprit and not the mechanical egr or the airmass

Urm I thought the solenoid valve blocks were fairly bulletproof tbh mate, history of faults?

no nhn, there not although rare through put to low is insufficient vacuum or sticking egr mechanical valve

as the egr valve is designed to operate in such a dirty area they very rarely stick and its often misdiagnosed but the valve body general pings this fault and you clear it and then it return some times 3 months later

normally a sporadic fault and rarely static

done a few after every tom **** and harry has looked at them and give up because they think there faultless.

exposure to the weird faults gives wisdom lol

Yes, sometimes the thought out of the box & not following the advised line, can produce a fruitful result lmfao.

Enlightening info, thanks.

Thanks for the help and info a8tech, so just to confirm it could in fact be the MAF sensor at fault but showing up as EGR fault right?

The maf will read out of spec if egr is faulty so be careful with vcds readings

post the full fault code with ambient readings as shown with vcds

i would suggest the fault lies with n18/n213 valve body or the egr cooler change over vacuum unit

Thanks for the reply, I didnt use vag-com, (I dont have it or access to it) I used a friends 'snap on' diagnostics machine.

The fault came up as a number and 'EGR insufficient flow'.

My mate suggested it could in actual fact be the MAF at fault, but reading on the scanner as an EGR fault. This is what im questioning - is it true that a faulty MAF could give out an EGR insufficient flow fault code?

in theory yes but experience tells me its unlikely the cause

you either have a lot of carbon build in the egr or a vacuum leak within n18/n213

problem with this fault type is it will take time to reoccur as it will be sporadic and at a certain egr operation the flow is insufficient

its a case of replacement of the suggested components providing there is no blockage

good luck

Update:

I replaced the MAF sensor, and cleared the fault code...2 days later the engine management light comes on again with the same 'EGR insufficient flow fault'.

Seeing as I had a new EGR about a year ago, what parts should I be looking at now? Im not familiar with n18/n213...what do these codes mean?

I have a fully working solenoid valve block for sale if you want to try this next.

I had insuffiecient flow after cleaning out my egr and manifold. I deleted the egr and never had a problem since