Coolent Loss Question

_GRP_

Q3 S-Line
Reaction score
OK, I know this has been covered lots on the forum but just after some opinions...

I've had my A3 Sportback 2.0TDI now for around 4 months, and I've had to top my coolant up 3 times... With the millage I do, topping-up 3 times over 4 months seems a bit much or would you say that's normal?

It's a 03G 103 308 C Engine, so acording to the 'cylinder head' FAQ it's low risk for a cracked/porous head.

It's not got any 'white' smoke on starting.
The Coolent Colour looks fine with no oil from what I can see.
No sludge under the Oil Filler cap.
No obvious leaking of coolent in the engine bay from what I can see.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Should I just bang some K-Seal in, or is that a bit of a 'bodge'?

George

K seal mate. Its almost sure to be the rad. was on mine. stuck in a pot of bars leak and its been fine ever since. Audi dont seem very good at radiators.

K seal mate. Its almost sure to be the rad. was on mine. stuck in a pot of bars leak and its been fine ever since. Audi dont seem very good at radiators.

Thanks for your reply Paddy, so does K-Seal continue to circulate through the system once it's plugged the hole?
Does this mean you get a bronzy coloured coolent, or does it dilute down after time when you add new antifreeze?

George

I dont know for sure but i know it continues to work for some time. It reacts with the air so it finds air by finding the leak. Its not a problem it being in the system because some people put it in anyway so it plugs a leak before you even know you have one. Its to dilute i think to colour the water.