A3 Power Problems HELP!!!

AudiA3Dude

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an A3 2.0 FSI 2004 manual, and was driving the car today then all of a sudden there was power loss when I tried to accelerate and lots of jerking/stalling. There appears to be hardly any power like the car is seriously struggling to get over 40mph. Any ideas please? I let it cool down for an hour then went back out and the problem seems to persist, just feels really sluggish!

also there was no warning lights displayed or anything.

Last edited:
What happened means your car went into limp mode to prevent damage to engine or other components.
Hard to tell what might be the cause. Get it scanned with VCDS.

cud be anything,try disconnecting the battery and leaving it 15 mins...then re-connect and try again,really needs plugging in diagnostic to see what errors are stored in the ecu.

Probably a coil pack has failed. It normally puts the engine management light on but not always. As said, a scan will help.

I had the coil packs replaced by Audi about 2 months ago under there re-call scheme. Could they fail so quickly?

Im thinking maybe its a MAF sensor. Does anybody know if the car goes into Limp mode if the MAF fails?

I would doubt its the MAF, im sure you would only notice a very slight drop in performance & economy. You could try removng the spark plugs & comparing their colour to see if any are different.

I'm guessing its not a Turbo BTW? I dont think N/A engines really go into limp home like a turbo'd engine does.

no its not a turbo. So you are saying that only cars with a turbo go into limp mode??

To me limp home mode is when a turbo doesnt work to prevent any further damage or damage to the engine etc but it could be used to describe any function the car can do to get you home. It could be the MAF thats causing it but I wouldnt buy anything until a scan of the car has been done.

if you want to know if its the maf, unplug it and take the car for a drive, if the car senses there is no maf it defaults to the engine map to control fuelling, if it runs smooth then youve got a maf issue, if not its something else simples