coolant level low?

MR B A3

Reaction score
The level in my coolant bottle (the sphere shaped one) is just above the minimum line.not quite sure what to do really.any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Well top it up would be a good start. Check the level with engine/water cold. If it drops again stick some rad gunge in the system and it will be fine. My o4 plate did this last year and no problems since. The radiators are not brilliant on A3's

Would it be ok to top up with just water?I just took it out for a drive and it now reads a bit under half on the scale, cheers

level will go up when its warm so test when cold, just add water, will only want a couple of mugs full

As Paddy said, top it up and if it looks like you are losing more water after this then you can try some rad sealer stuff. It could be the head or the rad, or some people have mentioned a problem to do with something concerning the EGR valve, but some rad gunk should help.
If you're only topping up a little bit then just water will be fine. If it's regularly needing topping up and you're adding a lot then you'd need to add coolant/antifreeze too otherwise the mixture will get diluted.

Cheers for the replies.If it has cracked then how much time do i have to replace it and any ideas on prices?

I dont think you are losing nearly enough water for it to be cracked so i would forget about that for the time being. I know you said its on minimum but its in the middle when hot so its not far off being spot on anyway. Just top it up to the middle when cold and check in a week again cold. I suspect it will be fine.

The stuff to use is called K-Seal available from most motor outlets at approx £7 a bottle.

Just pour into the header tank straight from the bottle.