From non multi function to multi function?

mark7

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm thinking of investing in a multi function steering wheel for my 55 plate A3 sline, is it just a case of removing my existing wheel and fitting the new one? i'm guessing i should remove the live from the battery when removing the air bag,
Is there a plug already there so i can just plug the multi function in and make use of the controls?
Or is ther more to it than that?
Thanks

Even if it is just a case of plugging it in to an existing loom/socket somewhere, you'll still need to get the ECU coded using VCDS to register the wheel and activate the functions. As for battery/airbag... I can't be much help. Sorry.

There's more to it fella sorry.

If you need someone to possibly supply & fit, give me a shout.

As NHN says - there is more to it than you expect.

Also depends on what you already have in your car as far as radio is concerned, not to mention DIS and telephone installation or not.

I have a wheel that will fit your airbag but Nige knows that !!!lol

What do you want the mfsw do do for you ?

Almost had an S3 fbmfsw for sale... just can't make ends meet on the RS6 item to replace it. Sorry. Unless a substantial offer was made?

As NHN says - there is more to it than you expect.

Also depends on what you already have in your car as far as radio is concerned, not to mention DIS and telephone installation or not.

I have a wheel that will fit your airbag but Nige knows that !!!lol

What do you want the mfsw do do for you ?

Just to work my HU really, volume, change stations/cd tracks etc. I have a friend with vcds, could he do what i require??

Last edited:
Depends if he knows how to check modules, wiring etc, caution advised when doing this if you have never done before, as things can get broken very easily.

Yeah Mike has a wheel. :)

loads of guides on here how to do and what you need, do a search for the info! many have done and written up on all the details.

Help, A4 s line 56 . Multi function steering wheel, it no worky. Taken to audi who quoted 400+ to fix ?
Now after they pulled it about ive got a esp fault. Steering angle sensor??

Are the two linked in anyway and what could be costing 400 and causing the functions to not work?

WOW £400!!! it costs £150 for the steering controller on its own so i dont understand how they can charge you that much.
yes both are linked, the steering angle sensor sits on the side of the steering controller that controlls the MFSW. why your wheel stopped working is anyones guess.

should have come to one of us here we would have sorted it all out for you.

where abouts are you based?

Could be slip ring which is £200 alone on a B7 A4, steering cu is £160, so based on these figures & labour, £400 isnt unreasonable tbh.

Now that's load of Wonga! Makes ticking the accessory box at time of purchase from new, look cheap.

Most likely slipring if your buttons have just stopped working, Im working on a B7 on Saturday with the same problem which throws the fault

"Connection to Steering Contols" or something similair.

Ive advised to buy a new slipring (after already testing a replacement ECU) which should work.. I'll keep this thread updated.

Well even if it was the slip ring they go on the bay for about £50, no need to pay the £400 price tag IMO.

hope it gets sorted still mate