Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Fog lights as DRL?

Hi guys, just been looking at the VCDS changes thread and came across Byte 17 Bit 4.
    Now I have a 2007 8P which im thinking of fitting fog lights to. Once I've fitted the fogs would I then be able to go into VCDS and enable the fog lights as DRLs or is this function only for newer 8Ps that came with DRLs as standard?

09 - Central Electronics

Long Coding Helper:

Byte 0
    Bit 3 - Daytime Running Lights (Scandinavia) active - (DRLs plus tailights)
    Bit 4 - Daytime Running Lights (North America) active - (DRLs only)
    Bit 5 - Assistance Driving Light _Leaving Home active - (Note 1)
    Bit 7 - Coming Home active - (Note 1)
    Byte 3
    Bit 5 - Teardrop Wiping for Rear Window active - (Single delayed extra wipe after rear wash/wipe)
    Byte 5
    Headlight Washer Delay - (? x 50 = delay (ms)) - (Useful in the winter so you're not washing your headlights every 5 minutes)
    Byte 8
    Bit 7 - Daytime Running Light (DRL) Deactivation while Blinking active - (Turns off or dims (8P3) the DRL whilst indicating)
    Byte 17
    Bit 0 - Emergency Brake Flash Light active - (Hazards on when emergency braking)
    Bit 4 - Daytime Light via Fog Lights - (For models without DRLs)
    Bit 5 - Front Fog Lights deactivated with high beam
    Byte 22
    Bit 1 - DRLs switchable via menu - (Note 2)
    Byte 23
    Bit 1 - Advanced Comfort Menu active - (Note 2)

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    I have this option on my 2005 A3 and it does work. You can turn on the North american DRL and that will have your headlights on all the time with no rear tail lights on. With the option for fogs as DRL it will only have the fogs on all the time. Just keep in mind that it is illegal to drive around all day with your fogs on, and that may result in you getting a fine and even points on your license!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

facebook.com/m9tbh

Status
    I did think that it was an offence. Yet so many people do it. I don't know in which country they would want/need to have fog lights permanently on?

I have seen on some A3's though, where the fog lamps should be replaces with a strip of LEDS for DRLS.

Audi A3 2.0 TDi - Dolphin Grey
    Matt Black Grille / Lamin-x / Tinted Rear Windows / BOSE Premium Audio / S3 Spoiler / Coilovers / S6 19x9 Alloy Wheels / Remapped

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

i have personally been pulled over and fined £30 for 'misuse of optional lights'
    honestly the to$$ers have nothing better to do!
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale

facebook.com/m9tbh

Status

Audi A3 2.0 TDi - Dolphin Grey
    Matt Black Grille / Lamin-x / Tinted Rear Windows / BOSE Premium Audio / S3 Spoiler / Coilovers / S6 19x9 Alloy Wheels / Remapped

Neutral

Status
    I think I'll leave it if it could mean me getting a fine! Although I might try the north american setting as Ash says, I presume I don't need a new headlight switch with the "DRL" setting on it?

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

with the north american setting on it will leave the headlights on all the time the engine is on. as for the DRL switch i am pretty sure (dont quote me) that the switch would need to be wired in somewhere for it to actually be able to turn the drl(headlights) off. The switch is not needed but i can see it as being handy
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme187 View Post
    with the north american setting on it will leave the headlights on all the time the engine is on. as for the DRL switch i am pretty sure (dont quote me) that the switch would need to be wired in somewhere for it to actually be able to turn the drl(headlights) off. The switch is not needed but i can see it as being handy
    Thanks Ash, that's what I thought, I'll give it a go when I get my hands on VCDS and see what happens.

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

no probs mate... where abouts are you? there are loads of members that have the cable that can do this for you
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

Neutral

Status
    I'm up in Doncaster mate, think I've got someone who I can borrow a laptop and cable off of for a few hours though so I'm going to have a little play when I get round to it. Got a list of things I want to activate/deactivate!!
    Tom

2007 1.9 Audi A3 8P Sportback

4th Gear

Status
    I've just enabled fogs as DRL's on my car; (57 plate SB)

You can adjust the brightness of them too Have set it to approx 25% If you have the extended menus within the DIS you can switch them off. Also they switch off when you turn on your sidelights or dipped beam. Bonus is they also work as normal fogs too
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

In awe of VCDS

Status
    I need to try this now. I didn't realise you could turn the brightness down a bit!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danb986 View Post
    I need to try this now. I didn't realise you could turn the brightness down a bit!
    Yep scroll along the bytes within the long coder and you'll see an option along the lines of fog light dimming??? Its about the 15th box along? Got 5C in it IIRC. I think its set at 92. i changed it to 25

When you switch them on as normal fogs, normal brightness is restored!
    My Posh Golf

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    Yep scroll along the bytes within the long coder and you'll see an option along the lines of fog light dimming??? Its about the 15th box along? Got 5C in it IIRC. I think its set at 92. i changed it to 25

When you switch them on as normal fogs, normal brightness is restored!
    as we found out yesturday eh rhys lol
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FranA3 View Post
    as we found out yesturday eh rhys lol
    Yep! Much easier if you have people standing in front of the car whilst you tinker with the settings; saves you getting out of the car to go have a look lol
    My Posh Golf

Audi Heaven

Status
    Are they equal now??
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    Are they equal now??
    I looked at them this evening and the photos I took and they look even I've got some new fog light tint coming with the headlight tint so I'll replace what's currently fitted. I even checked that the bulbs were located correctly and they are......
    My Posh Golf

events moderator

Status
    Yep! Much easier if you have people standing in front of the car whilst you tinker with the settings; saves you getting out of the car to go have a look lol
    tis true mate

Audi Heaven

Status
    I looked at them this evening and the photos I took and they look even I've got some new fog light tint coming with the headlight tint so I'll replace what's currently fitted. I even checked that the bulbs were located correctly and they are......
    Weird as there is no reason for them to be different. Maybe the film you have fitted now throws the light differently on one side?? Who knows... Looked cool tho
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    Weird as there is no reason for them to be different. Maybe the film you have fitted now throws the light differently on one side?? Who knows... Looked cool tho
    That was my thought; that perhaps one side isn't fitted quite properly so more light is escaping; although when they are acting as normal fogs the light output looks the same both sides.....oh well I'll leave them as they are and annoy everyone haha
    My Posh Golf

events moderator

Status
    i really like fog light drl's i saw a new passat today with them and it looked really cool

In awe of VCDS

Status
    I had one fog a lot brighter than the other and it just needed adjusting. Using the big Allen key screw I just turned it until the lights shining on my garage door were the same height and all looks right again. On mine it was more a case of height adjustment rather than actually being brighter.

When you say you can turn them off in the extended menus in the DIS, is this only on the white LED models, or can you do it with the red DIS's as well? Mine's an 07 Sportback Sport, and I don't think I have the extended menu's, just the 2 trip computer screens, the digital speedo and the one with oil temp and service countdown screen.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danb986 View Post
    I had one fog a lot brighter than the other and it just needed adjusting. Using the big Allen key screw I just turned it until the lights shining on my garage door were the same height and all looks right again. On mine it was more a case of height adjustment rather than actually being brighter.

When you say you can turn them off in the extended menus in the DIS, is this only on the white LED models, or can you do it with the red DIS's as well? Mine's an 07 Sportback Sport, and I don't think I have the extended menu's, just the 2 trip computer screens, the digital speedo and the one with oil temp and service countdown screen.
    Ah I removed my drivers side the other day so perhaps a slight adjustment is needed; thanks for that! Thought I was going mad lol

I have enabled it on my 57 plate SB with RED DIS (pics in my build thread); I think 57 plates' on had the later CE module installed; all the 07 plate cars and prior I have not been able to enable the extended menus
    Last edited by Rhyso; 29th June 2011 at 08:49.
    My Posh Golf